The one thing about this years team that I enjoyed the most is .. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The one thing about this years team that I enjoyed the most is ..

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed this season. Yeah, I was disappointed initially in how it ended, but once you sat back and looked at the season and what was accomplished by a pretty good group of human beings (and basketball players) how could you be disappointed? A group of young women came together and built a team under the direction of one of the finest coaching staffs ever assembled through a year interrupted by uncertainty, isolation (no travel home to rest and recharge) and strong competition and they went much farther into the tournament than any rational observer could reasonably expect.

To quote "Flounder" from "Animal House" when contemplating next season, "this is going to be great!"
I have your back! Anyone who quotes Flounder has a special and unique perspective on life and basketball. ?

Reaction Score
I have your back! Anyone who quotes Flounder has a special and unique perspective on life and basketball. ?

Is Flounder one of those characters in an animated movie? I'll have to look up Animal House. Disney?
Just kidding. One of my favorites. The above was a true question from my sister.....sigh

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
My most enjoyable aspect of the season was Evina. Evina finally playing. Showing leadership. Completely embracing the UConn way. Playing while not 100%. Her intensity. I didn't see her play before she came to UConn, but the fact that she never complained when her waiver was denied, then had to have surgery, and now returning for another season? Priceless.
Things happen for a reason. Sometimes we don't see the benefit of things that don't go our way at the moment. She had a second surgery AFTER receiving the news of the denial of her waiver request and appeal. While the news of her denial was devastating to her and us, in hindsight, it worked out best for her. I'm not sure that playing on that knee without that second surgery would have had favorable results for her.

Even after the surgery and the completion of her rehab, she related that the knee was not 100%, citing that during practice, she had some good days, and some not so good days. We saw Geno give her periodic rest breaks during their games, and not because she was tired. She took some hard falls and landed awkwardly a couple of times during the season that made me hold my breath, because of my concern for her knees.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've said this before but, to me, Nika was the engine behind the attitude shift. One of my favorite moments was Nika dribbling out a game just over half court and UConn was up 20+. The defender decided to pressure Nika in the last couple seconds and I actually thought Nika might take a swing at her. Can't remember the team but Geno had a huge grin as he started the post game interview. He mentioned the Nika was all fired up...
I actually thought that the change in attitude in the second half against Arizona was when Nika played more and the game stabilized a bit for UConn. But for some ill-advised UConn drives into the teeth of the Arizona's defense (which cut off passing lanes, making sure that the driver was closed off) after they cut the deficit to 5, I believe, the margin could have been less than 10 at the end and they may not have needed to start fouling every possession.

Geno did say before the game that he didn't like the look of the team without Nika.

It is going to be interesting how the rotation goes next year.....there is no doubt that Azzi will get a lot of time (her HS highlights indicates she's got IT, just like Paige) but I would be curious if the others coming in have the kind of fire we see in Nika and Aaliyah.....and that includes Saylor (we haven't seen her in extended play when there was something at stake).

There was one moment near the end of the Arizona game when Nika stayed with Aari for 3Qs of the court, sticking with her like a glue before getting called for a foul re: the little bumps - Geno had to call her over and asked "What are you doing?" (lip read) Aaliyah had done a similar thing earlier, got called too. (And yet, when an Arizona player really decked Paige away from the ball, there was no foul). Yep, now wonder Geno referred to them as players who play UConn style (hardnosed).

Still, they never looked like they were going to be seriously in the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The change in attitude. UConn teams are typically comprised of high quality, team oriented players. They are always 'nice'. This years team thanks to 'E', Nika, and Aaliyah left the nice outside the lines and inside the lines were aggressive battlers. They played with and edge that I felt was missing until recently. Christyn picked up the attitude part way through the year. Paige had a bit of it. I didn't see it in some others. They played with skill and joy, but not the edge. There is a certain amount of aggression that championship programs have and I didn't see it after Stewie, Mo, and Tuck left. I think next year it is going to be back in force. I can hear it when Geno speaks of next year and the full court systems. I know some of you are going to call me out and say that KLS, Pheesa, and Crystal had it. And I will say, great players all but Pheesa and Crystal got it when they went pro.
OH, I don't know why anyone couldn't see it in the way Kia and Gabby played but the balance of the team was hanging by a thread, with no depth and yet they extended that winning streak to what? 111 consecutive games....maybe the pressure of keeping that streak alive just got to them, that's why the lost the unfortunate way they did in the FF. Maybe Geno could have used Azura more the following year when these two were seniors during the SF but that's on him....especially since Gabby wasn't fully healthy.

What I do enjoy most of this team is the unabashed joy they show when they celebrate - it's a notch above their predecessors. Maybe the unusual circumstances of the pandemic, maybe it's just them....and then couple this with the fearless way the freshmen played until the FF.

Reaction Score
Paige and Edwards. Two All American freshmen, though the latter will have to wait until next year this time to pick up her award.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
. . . that this team made UConn BB fun again. The very special freshman class, their youthful exuberance, the variety of personalities (and skill-sets and body types)--what a joy they were. Following on @BlueSkyGLW above, a special memory was hearing Geno speak so well of their celebration after winning the BE tournament (or was it the regional? The one with the confetti). Nice to see an old teacher get a kick out of seeing his pupils celebrate being successful.

Runners-up . . .

It was SUCH A DELIGHT watching Evina play.
That 3 of the top 6 players were freshman--wow
Watching Christyn blossom
And the incomparable Paige!

Reaction Score
....watching a bunch of women having fun and enjoying each other's company. I think Geno was having fun too. (He wouldn't admit it)

Reaction Score
There is a particular beauty to this team ... the atmosphere of mutual feeling for each other is evident ... although subtle ... magical actually ... it is what makes the depth to this team beyond the skill ...

Reaction Score
Growing pains for sure but the unbridled enthusiasm was so infectious. Enjoyed this post and comments.

Reaction Score
I should add that I bow to the juniors for welcoming the kids, including accepting the coaches pushing to give the freshmen greater roles, none bigger than Paige's and when they delivered, continued to support and encourage them. Whether Evina had more to do with that than the other two is immaterial - they all accepted it well. Essential to team building, this attitude.

Reaction Score
I simply enjoyed watching a young, enormously talented team grow. Their enthusiasm and, dare I say, love for each other, the unselfishness, and fierceness was a joy to see. Everybody grew: ONO rounded out her game, Christyn, God bless her, became an all-around player (and smiled again!), E was the catalyst, on and off the court, AE was a amazing, and Nika (admittedly my favorite) brought a level of fierce determination not seen in years. And Paige....what can you say, she is otherworldly. Everyone on the team contributed in some way. Next year is going to be something to watch, particularly with E coming back, new freshmen and the transfer from Ohio State. And if I learned anything from watching Stanford play this year, you simply cannot have too much depth. Yikes!!!
I couldn’t agree with you more. It may have been the pandemic or not, but the closeness of this team absolutely caused them to be the team that they became. You could see how much they loved playing and each other’s success, they were gritty, tenacious, and brought out the best in each other. Not the ending they or we wanted but it was a great season.

Reaction Score
Apart from the fact that none of the kids caught the virus or had a serious injury, I
think my favorite thing was watching Christyn come back from the dead. I think
Geno did a great job in giving her the emotional support and encouragement that
she needed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My favorite thing about the year is the transcendent Ms. Paige Bueckers, a freshman who started as point guard and didn't just pull it off, but gave us a show the likes of which we have never seen and to the amazement of every voting group for every major end of the year award she was qualified to win. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around her season.

Reaction Score
I enjoyed a few things.
1. The talent level was way up even if it's in the puppy stage.
2. infused with some infectious competitors
3. But the biggest difference is watching with a new found appreciation. Maybe it was the long sports void they helped fill, the lack of expectations which made victories seem like achievements not forgone conclusions or just recognizing we are fortunate to be at the beginning of a new period of seeing the best players in the women's game in our house.

Reaction Score
Chemistry, Effort, Passing and the laying of a foundation for a new exciting era with the freshmen class. That class pretty much insured being a good contender for their four years. Sometimes we have to wait a couple of years hoping our high recruits will turn out close to their incoming rankings. It was pretty clear from Geno's comments even in training camp, that this class was the "real deal". Sure they would have growing pains, but I think he knew even then, that these were difference makers in a program that has had so many.

Carnac

Reaction Score
......Watching Paige live up to the hype. She became the team leader very early in the season. Her being a first year player did not effect her ability to lead, or have her teammate’s trust and respect.

When UConn needed a basket, she delivered (see the South Carolina game). Her no-look passes and clutch shooting were phenomenal, and worth the price of admission. I was extremely skeptical of the thought that she would/could come in and learn the system fast enough to start that first game, and not only keep that spot, but significantly contribute game in and game out.

Paige is “ultra special.” All of the awards she won during the season bore that out. Even though I’m supposed to be a seer, I didn’t see that coming during the summer, when we were trying to figure out the starting 5.

I also enjoyed watching Aaliyah grow and develop this past season. It’s hard to imagine that she‘s going to come back this fall even better via her sophomore leap. She’s going to be a nightmare for opposing teams. If she does not start, she should be the 6th man. Regardless of all the talent Geno will have at his disposal this coming year, I think he’ll find it hard to keep her on the bench. Remember what he said about her this year? He said he was never uncomfortable having her on the floor. ?

Lastly, I enjoyed watching this team grow and develop as a unit. They won games they were suppose to win, even though they were top heavy with freshmen. They made it to the final four and did not lose to an unranked team as some other elite teams did. They beat Tennessee, South Carolina and Baylor. For a young team, that’s pretty good. Now, let’s build on that success for next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watching Aaliyah.

Also watching the team cheer each other on. I think Aubrey is a star in that sense. Her quiet nice personality shines.

Waiting to see what Paige would do to save the day, and then seeing it.

Seeing Christyn put it all together at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
This years freshman class developed very quickly and they are now the foundation of the program for the next 3 years. Sit back, buckle up and enjoy what will most likely be a new era of dominance for UConn WBB.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Watching Aaliyah.

Also watching the team cheer each other on. I think Aubrey is a star in that sense. Her quiet nice personality shines.

Waiting to see what Paige would do to save the day, and then seeing it.

Seeing Christyn put it all together at the end of the season.
Christyn needs to pick up where she left off when the season resumes. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
This years freshman class developed very quickly and they are now the foundation of the program for the next 3 years. Sit back, buckle up and enjoy what will most likely be a new era of dominance for UConn WBB.
Agreed. It appears that Geno and staff has put together a team that can once again return to dominance and be bad for WCBB once again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom