The One Food to Try in Every State (Discoverer Travel Blog) | The Boneyard

The One Food to Try in Every State (Discoverer Travel Blog)

Reaction Score
Some are spot on gimmes... others?

The One Food to Try in Every State

Connecticut: White Clam Pizza: Like pizza? Like seafood? Then get yourself to Connecticut to feast on a white clam pizza. Think a thin-crust base with garlic, oregano, cheese and plenty of locally sourced clams. You’ll find plenty of places serving it in New Haven, with arguably the best being at Frank Pepe Pizzeria Nepoletana. They’ve been oven baking pizzas since 1925 so have had plenty of time to perfect it.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not a terrible list. Definitely some quibbles but even their more questionable choices are defensible.

No matter what you call them, I ain't eating testicles though.

I don't know what else I'd identify as a signature New Hampshire food, but that New England boil may be the second least-appetizing item on the list.

Chicago deep-dish looks gross, too.

And how do you not go with steak for Nebraska?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not a terrible list. Definitely some quibbles but even their more questionable choices are defensible.

No matter what you call them, I ain't eating testicles though.
They're actually perfectly fine. When I was working in Mexico, the Mexican GM of our operation took a couple of us to an Argentinian steak house where meats were cooked on a grill at the table. He didn't tell us we were eating bull balls, he just said, "You gotta try this," meaning the little sliced disks being grilled up. Like with sweetbreads or arguably even veal, they're relatively bland and it's all about the marinade or dipping sauce. But not gross at all.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
They're actually perfectly fine. When I was working in Mexico, the Mexican GM of our operation took a couple of us to an Argentinian steak house where meats were cooked on a grill at the table. He didn't tell us we were eating bull balls, he just said, "You gotta try this," meaning the little sliced disks being grilled up. Like with sweetbreads or arguably even veal, they're relatively bland and it's all about the marinade or dipping sauce. But not gross at all.
I will take your word for it.

I also can’t eat lengua, even though I hear it‘s great.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I can't remember the comedian, but I remember the joke; "I'm not going to taste something that tastes me back."

I don't seek out tongue sandwiches, but I've had great lengua tacos.

Reaction Score

I've never understood meat eaters who will only eat part of the animal. Tongue is easily one of the tastiest cuts of beef. You have to at least give it a fair chance and try it.
I can't remember the comedian, but I remember the joke; "I'm not going to taste something that tastes me back."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is a pretty good list. Few complaints with those I've had. MA, CA, KS, LA, TX and yes, the deep dish in Illinois. Can't eat it often, but it is good when done well. Can't eat that white clam garlic pie at Pepe's, it would make me violently ill. South Carolina low country has so many choices, but Shrimp is the right answer.

Nebraska should be a steak. Or Kansas should be. Missouri should be the BBQ ribs they attributed to KS. Vermont should be Poutine. It's a Canadian thing, but Vermont is the place for it in the USA. I never associated funeral potatoes with Utah.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Pastrami, tongue and chopped liver is my go to NYC deli order.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
they got it wrong on rhody 'must eats.'
'Rhode Island Clam Fritters' is the correct answer. it's 'The Ocean State', and peter and the gang do live in Quahog, after all. anybody, anywhere can make a johnnycake, but a clam fritter? rhody owns it. must eat, indeed.
ps. cow tongue rules. man, a pile of fritters along with a tongue sammich? tasty! dang, now im hungry...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've never understood meat eaters who will only eat part of the animal.
You ever been around someone cleaning and cooking kidneys?

Also, I cannot recommend spleen or lung. But just about everything else can be made palatable.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I don't know what else I'd identify as a signature New Hampshire food, but that New England boil may be the second least-appetizing item on the list.
I was surprised to see that the New England boil popped up.

Reaction Score
Also, I cannot recommend spleen or lung. But just about everything else can be made palatable.
I had the traditional Palermo street food spleen sangwhich in Sicily about 10 years ago on a vacation. It reminded me of really bad liver and onions. The bread was awesome, the filling was gag worthy. It was a “been there, done that, never again” moment.

My mom’s Italian immigrant parents used to make an awesome Sufrite which back then used to be made w/ beef heart, lungs and other offal simmered in a spicy tomato sauce. It was really good.(The FDA eventually said no more lungs due to the air pollution). There are a few places around New Haven who serve really good sufrite sandwiches usually w/ veal heart these days.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is a pretty good list. Few complaints with those I've had. MA, CA, KS, LA, TX and yes, the deep dish in Illinois. Can't eat it often, but it is good when done well. Can't eat that white clam garlic pie at Pepe's, it would make me violently ill. South Carolina low country has so many choices, but Shrimp is the right answer.

Nebraska should be a steak. Or Kansas should be. Missouri should be the BBQ ribs they attributed to KS. Vermont should be Poutine. It's a Canadian thing, but Vermont is the place for it in the USA. I never associated funeral potatoes with Utah.

Had some poutine Monday up in Burlington. Topped it off with BBQ pulled pork. It was an ungodly sized mound of food. I tried my best but spiked the fork and called it off with about 1/3 remaining on the plate. It was heavenly.

If you don't associate funeral potatoes with Utah, which state would you associate them with?

Shrimp and grits is great. I'd associate a low country boil with South Carolina and the shrimp and grits with New Orleans.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I had the traditional Palermo street food spleen sangwhich in Sicily about 10 years ago on a vacation. It reminded me of really bad liver and onions. The bread was awesome, the filling was gag worthy. It was a “been there, done that, never again” moment.
I had a vastedda at Ferdinando's in Red Hook. I didn't want to, but I was with a chef and chefs love their offal. The bun and ricotta were fantastic, but while I choked down the first bite of spleen, the second came back up. Liver would've been welcome. I don't even know what to compare the taste of spleen to. Like a sausage that was filled with mashed lentils that were cooked in sewage is sort of what I remember.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Had some poutine Monday up in Burlington. Topped it off with BBQ pulled pork. It was an ungodly sized mound of food. I tried my best but spiked the fork and called it off with about 1/3 remaining on the plate. It was heavenly.

If you don't associate funeral potatoes with Utah, which state would you associate them with?

Shrimp and grits is great. I'd associate a low country boil with South Carolina and the shrimp and grits with New Orleans.

I may have ordered that same Poutine once. It’s too much. But good.

I would have thought so too on shrimp and grits, but based upon research, we are evidently wrong. It’s a low country origin recipe. According to this, it began with the Gullah people. I am familiar with their history as the museum about it is about 15 minutes from where my parents live. I had great shrimp and grits at the Foolish Frog in Frogmore, SC. Home of Smokin’ Joe Frazier.

I would have considered Gumbo or Jambalaya, even Red Beans and Rice for NOLA over the beignets.

As for funeral potatoes, I’ve had them everywhere, including Connecticut. Utah must have something more distinctive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I would have thought so too on shrimp and grits, but based upon research, we are evidently wrong. It’s a low country origin recipe. According to this, it began with the Gullah people. I am familiar with their history as the museum about it is about 15 minutes from where my parents live. I had great shrimp and grits at the Foolish Frog in Frogmore, SC. Home of Smokin’ Joe Frazier.

I would have considered Gumbo or Jambalaya, even Red Beans and Rice for NOLA over the beignets.

As for funeral potatoes, I’ve had them everywhere, including Connecticut. Utah must have something more distinctive.

Interesting on the origins of shrimp and grits. I still associate more with gulf coast states than I do South Carolina. I did just spend about 3 1/2 weeks in the Low Country in October and November.

Reaction Score

My mom has some great Gullah artwork, it's a cool culture.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
My mom has some great Gullah artwork, it's a cool culture.

My parents do too, and a couple of the grass baskets they still make by hand. They still speak the language. I recall standing in line at the gas station convenience store listening to...I have no idea what language between the guy in front of me and the young woman behind the counter. Then I get up and it's just a perfect southern accent when she speaks to me.

This is the place that is just 15 minutes or so from my parents. Have been a couple of times. Penn Center

Reaction Score
I had a vastedda at Ferdinando's in Red Hook. I didn't want to, but I was with a chef and chefs love their offal. The bun and ricotta were fantastic, but while I choked down the first bite of spleen, the second came back up. Liver would've been welcome. I don't even know what to compare the taste of spleen to. Like a sausage that was filled with mashed lentils that were cooked in sewage is sort of what I remember.
Got the visual...you must be in sales!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hoosier pork tenderloin sandwich is awesome, and you can find them everywhere in Indiana.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

My mom’s Italian immigrant parents used to make an awesome Sufrite which back then used to be made w/ beef heart, lungs and other offal simmered in a spicy tomato sauce. It was really good.(The FDA eventually said no more lungs due to the air pollution). There are a few places around New Haven who serve really good sufrite sandwiches usually w/ veal heart these days.
As a kid, I loved it until they told me what it was. On good Italian bread! Delicious!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom