OT: - The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2 | Page 21 | The Boneyard

OT: The Old, the Obscure, and The Forgotten - Round 2

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

This Cajun traditional is the fight song of McNeese State. Great version here. There is a recording by the Breaux Brothers that dates from the 1920s!

Reaction Score
I think this one came out in the late 80's - good, gritty stuff from Robert Earl Keen Jr.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
This is a David Gray song titled "Freedom". I really liked this guy, and he sorta disappeared.
This is a pretty song, and the lyrics are nice.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
How about some Tuba Skinny feat. Erica Lewis who uses tempo rubato nearly as well as The Chairman.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here is another old, somewhat obscure, but topical song for the current climate of society. And it's a live version with to boot!

I'm going to throw a flag on "somewhat obscure" It was the theme song to CSI: Miami for a decade

Reaction Score
How about some Tuba Skinny feat. Erica Lewis who uses tempo rubato nearly as well as The Chairman.

This group is the top NOLA jazz band out there. I've bought a number of their albums because I read that they are hurting for gigs due to "the plague." Yes, to "Goin' Back Home," and "I Get the Blues" plus "Too Much Competition." Try them too.

Reaction Score
Heard this one last night. Big thing when I was a kid. Living in Pittsburgh, we knew bupkus about surfing . But this was cool. Knew that much!

Reminds me of this one which was popular around the same time - Wild Weekend by the Rebels, a surf rock band form Buffalo NY. This instrumental was the intro theme song for Tom Shannon's nightly show on WKBW 1520 AM in Buffalo:

Reaction Score
Heard this one last night. Big thing when I was a kid. Living in Pittsburgh, we knew bupkus about surfing . But this was cool. Knew that much!

Good grief, Bama. I don't know when was the last time I heard the term "bupkus". Yea, when the Beach Boys sang Surfing USA I couldn't think of too many places on the Allegheny, Monongahela, or Ohio. But when, I believe, Brian Wilson played that bass guitar, they got a life long fan.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don't think I've posted this. IMO this is the best protest song ever. It's as apt now as it was in 1969, 1980, and 2001.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Here is Junior Walker and the All Stars from 1969 on Motown label. They had a big hit with "Shotgun" earlier, and they talked him into recording this one. Thank god he did. "Gonna blow again for ya''

Reaction Score
The Jan Hammer Group was known for their "Miami Vice" theme, but they also did some interesting spacey and beautiful stuff. This is one of them - "Don't You Know" off of their Melodies album:

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Thanks to Bama for posting the Haley Reinhart stuff. I'd forgotten how much I love her. I have her first album, which is pretty good, but she's really better-suited to older-style stuff. I discovered she did an album of mostly 60's stuff. Here's her take on Blind Faith:

WOW! I luv it!

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Here is a beautiful folk ballad that has been done by many artists. Both Mary Travers and Eva Cassidy covered this so well. James Taylor and Emmylou Harris sang versions of it too. But this is from Karla Bonhoff who is famous for writing "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me' that Linda Ronstadt made such a big hit. . Karla's voice is sweet here, and the musicians support her well.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My absolute favorite version of The Water is Wide is from Steeleye Span, with Gay Woods singing. She and her soon-to-be ex-husband left the band in about 1970. She rejoined in 1995 with many more years on her voice but the years developing her delivery far outweigh any loss tone-wise. Fast forward to about 3:00 for the vocals.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
This song is one of the tracks on my "BACK TO MINE: Everything But The Girl," CD. Donny's life came to a tragic end in January of 1979.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Here is one from a teen star in the early Sixties. She left the business to study theology. She sang several songs about stars , so I figured her for astrology. She set her sights higher!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom