The Official Mets 2021 Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

The Official Mets 2021 Thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Diaz smh. Three blown saves in a row

Nice to see Lugo return to form, but jeez louise Diaz‘s regression continues. Can’t trust this guy at all in a tight spot.

Reaction Score
Diaz smh. Three blown saves in a row

Nice to see Lugo return to form, but jeez louise Diaz‘s regression continues. Can’t trust this guy at all in a tight spot.
It's one bad 3 game stretch, I wouldn't overreact to it. I still trust him every time he comes into the game

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is unbelievable.

I hope this kid can hold on to this!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's one bad 3 game stretch, I wouldn't overreact to it. I still trust him every time he comes into the game
He looks an awful lot like his first season with us. I don’t trust him because he doesn’t look confident to me.

Reaction Score
He looks an awful lot like his first season with us. I don’t trust him because he doesn’t look confident to me.
Yeah we'll just have to agree to disagree on this and enjoy the win tonight. Don't think you could be further from the truth on Diaz, if the ground ball to him is an inch to the right or left tonight it's a double play and we're not having this conversation

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah we'll just have to agree to disagree on this and enjoy the win tonight. Don't think you could be further from the truth on Diaz, if the ground ball to him is an inch to the right or left tonight it's a double play and we're not having this conversation

Interesting:

Diaz’s spin rate on his slider has dropped in July to 2,156 rpm, according to Statcast. In the first three months of the season, Diaz averaged 2,280 rpm with the same pitch. The drop off has occurred as MLB is actively policing the use of substances to grip the ball, increasing spin rate. But Diaz, without saying if he’s used such substances, said he hasn’t changed the way he’s gripped the ball in recent weeks.

“I grab the ball the same … I don’t care about my spin rate,” Diaz said over the weekend. “I think if you make pitches you will get outs.”

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

He has no idea where the ball is going half the time. If you play with fire as much as he does then you're going to get burned more often than not.

It seems pretty clear to me that having no sticky stuff has really hurt Edwin.

Reaction Score
He has no idea where the ball is going half the time. If you play with fire as much as he does then you're going to get burned more often than not.

It seems pretty clear to me that having no sticky stuff has really hurt Edwin.
I guess, I just find it annoying that all the Diaz haters were quiet the first 3 months of the season while he was 19 of 20 on saves and then all of a sudden he has a bad 3 game stretch and they show up

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I guess, I just find it annoying that all the Diaz haters were quiet the first 3 months of the season while he was 19 of 20 on saves and then all of a sudden he has a bad 3 game stretch and they show up
C'mon. You and I discussed it then, when you jabbed me for hating on him early on with the Mets. I thought we agreed that his first season here was deserving of criticism; I conceded that I was scarred from Benitez, Famila and Robles meltdowns and thought he was another example of a guy who couldn't handle the Big Apple pressure. You noted his improvement last season and I agreed, but I've also admitted that I've never felt as confident in him as I do in Lugo. I still feel that way, and the coincidence of this recent stretch with both his loss of rotation and the crackdown on illegal substances is something to note imo.

Reaction Score
C'mon. You and I discussed it then, when you jabbed me for hating on him early on with the Mets. I thought we agreed that his first season here was deserving of criticism; I conceded that I was scarred from Benitez, Famila and Robles meltdowns and thought he was another example of a guy who couldn't handle the Big Apple pressure. You noted his improvement last season and I agreed, but I've also admitted that I've never felt as confident in him as I do in Lugo. I still feel that way, and the coincidence of this recent stretch with both his loss of rotation and the crackdown on illegal substances is something to note imo.
Yeah we did discuss it and I feel the same way now as I did then, the hate was unwarranted. I think people can't separate Diaz being good with the Diaz trade being bad. I love Lugo and have full confidence in him too just like Diaz. All the underlying numbers point to him being just as dominant this year as he was in 2020. The loss of spin rate is definitely something to note, but doesn't hold up for me when he also had his most dominant stretch after the crackdown right before this recent blowup

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah we did discuss it and I feel the same way now as I did then, the hate was unwarranted. I think people can't separate Diaz being good with the Diaz trade being bad. I love Lugo and have full confidence in him too just like Diaz. All the underlying numbers point to him being just as dominant this year as he was in 2020. The loss of spin rate is definitely something to note, but doesn't hold up for me when he also had his most dominant stretch after the crackdown right before this recent blowup
I hope your gut is right about him and not mine.

Reaction Score
My take? Mariano Rivera and Dennis Eckersley are unicorns. Closers who are infallible are rarities. Even the more dominant guys have stretches where they blow leads or look bad. You just need to make sure they’re not at the wrong spots of a season. I think this team will not let him slip into something that’s an issue.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
My take? Mariano Rivera and Dennis Eckersley are unicorns. Closers who are infallible are rarities. Even the more dominant guys have stretches where they blow leads or look bad. You just need to make sure they’re not at the wrong spots of a season. I think this team will not let him slip into something that’s an issue.
That's fair. I just worry about his head. Franco was far from infallible, but I'll never forget him being described as having "the guts of a burglar," and that's the quality I look for in the guys who are fallible.

I'm still ruminating about de Grom becoming a closer. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Let him throw two innings of gas and essentially make those games seven innings long for the other team's offense. Better than the fits and starts we're going to be dealing with if he is expected to remain a starter and pitch the way he has been pitching.

Reaction Score
That's fair. I just worry about his head. Franco was far from infallible, but I'll never forget him being described as having "the guts of a burglar," and that's the quality I look for in the guys who are fallible.

I'm still ruminating about de Grom becoming a closer. The more I think about it, the more I like it. Let him throw two innings of gas and essentially make those games seven innings long for the other team's offense. Better than the fits and starts we're going to be dealing with if he is expected to remain a starter and pitch the way he has been pitching.
Now??? Or at a later point like Eck did?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Now??? Or at a later point like Eck did?
I'm thinking now, only because no one has ever been in this position before and I don't think he can keep throwing that hard as a starter without breaking down again constantly.

If he can string together three on-rotation starts of five or more innings without concerns, I might feel differently. But at the last post-game presser where he spoke I felt like that might not ever happen again. He almost seemed more concerned that nothing shows up on the imaging to explain why he feels the way he does. When he talked about taking the ball every fifth day he kind of trailed off like that was a pipe dream at this point.

Reaction Score
Hunter is hurt and I don’t think the catcher comes close to anything that could be considered a lottery ticket so anything we get from Hill is a plus. Apparently while his total era is under 4, it’s 5.4 since the sticky stuff crackdown. Sadly I think a guy going 5 and giving up 3er is a big net positive right now considering all the minor league arms being used and constant bullpen days.

Reaction Score
This is a solid move, good 4/5 starter who can move to the bullpen once everyone is back and healthy

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hunter is hurt and I don’t think the catcher comes close to anything that could be considered a lottery ticket so anything we get from Hill is a plus. Apparently while his total era is under 4, it’s 5.4 since the sticky stuff crackdown. Sadly I think a guy going 5 and giving up 3er is a big net positive right now considering all the minor league arms being used and constant bullpen days.

Yeah, the way the offense has turned things up lately we just need him to give us some innings that aren't terrible. He can probably stick in the bullpen if we make the postseason as a LOOGY/long reliever.

Reaction Score
Either Familia or Lugo should close games. Even yesterday 2 of Diaz's 3 outs were frozen ropes luckily hit at someone.

How about this Megill kid? No preseason hype about him at all and he has been outstanding. He'd be a rookie of the year candidate if he came up sooner.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom