The next OC | The Boneyard

The next OC

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If it’s not Noel Mazzone, what are some possibilities that might make some sense for an OC and other positional coaches for Mora?

I haven’t done any looking myself - coach hunting isn’t my favorite exercise.

Fingers crossed Mora can announce the OC and DC a couple days after Houston.

Reaction Score
Jed Fisch is he an interim at Arizona taking over for Sumlin or is he there on a contract, year one?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If it’s not Noel Mazzone, what are some possibilities that might make some sense for an OC and other positional coaches for Mora?

I haven’t done any looking myself - coach hunting isn’t my favorite exercise.

Fingers crossed Mora can announce the OC and DC a couple days after Houston.
I imagine Mora is already making phone calls. My guess is that he will determine who will be best suited for what roles once he knows who would say yes to a job offer. I would be surprised if we don't hear the first few names on Sunday/Monday after the Houston game and within a week the staff will be complete.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I imagine Mora is already making phone calls. My guess is that he will determine who will be best suited for what roles once he knows who would say yes to a job offer. I would be surprised if we don't hear the first few names on Sunday/Monday after the Houston game and within a week the staff will be complete.

I fear the standard state of CT policies requiring Jon to be posted for X number of days before the person can be announced officially.

Since all the assistants have gotten their termination letters and termination dates along with severance package I"d hope UConn could announce openings before end of Houston.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
True but IIRC, when P was hired, GDL and Brown were announced as coordinators prior to the presser introducing P as the new head coach.

Reaction Score
The job descriptions can be posted tomorrow can't they? Or, perhaps they have already been posted? That should not be a a long pole. Now vetting, that is a different story. But you would think that could have already started. I rather doubt that those four days in Idaho did not get heavily into this topic. Or did they decide to go hunting or fishing or something instead? ;)

Reaction Score
The most important hire. I hope the assistant coaching salary pool is $3 million+ so Mora can actually hire a decent OC.

During Diaco's first season in 2014, he was paid $1.5 million and his assistant coach salary pool was ~$2 million. Here we are 8 years later and the head coach is going to be paid $1.5 million which worries me about the size of the assistant coaching salary pool. Honestly, I would have been more excited about the Mora hire if they were paying him $2.5 million as that would signal that UConn was serious about competing. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to overpay coaches, but what FBS school is paying their coach they same salary as they paid their head coach in 2014?

As a side note, read this prescient article from Footballscoop that was written after John Dunn left 2.5 years ago.

This isn't a good sign for UConn

Reaction Score
I know this is the "if it's not Mazzone" thread but I would put the odds of it being Mazzone at better than 50%. It just makes so much sense and seems obvious.

Reaction Score
The most important hire. I hope the assistant coaching salary pool is $3 million+ so Mora can actually hire a decent OC.

During Diaco's first season in 2014, he was paid $1.5 million and his assistant coach salary pool was ~$2 million. Here we are 8 years later and the head coach is going to be paid $1.5 million which worries me about the size of the assistant coaching salary pool. Honestly, I would have been more excited about the Mora hire if they were paying him $2.5 million as that would signal that UConn was serious about competing. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to overpay coaches, but what FBS school is paying their coach they same salary as they paid their head coach in 2014?

As a side note, read this prescient article from Footballscoop that was written after John Dunn left 2.5 years ago.

There is a reason it is only 1.5. It is back loaded because he is still receiving payment from UCLA.

Reaction Score

Sheez you forget just how inexperienced most of Edsall's staff were. Onward and upward from here.

Reaction Score
I don’t know but we need to run a no huddle or some kind gimmick at first to give the team a chance.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
It wouldn't surprise me if Mazzone gets hired without an official title. I would wager that Mora will wait until after Arizona makes a decision on whether or not they will retain Fisch as head coach before naming an OC.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't surprise me if Mazzone gets hired without an official title. I would wager that Mora will wait until after Arizona makes a decision on whether or not they will retain Fisch as head coach before naming an OC.
Mazzone will be on staff, but maybe not the play caller, and Mora already knows who he wants. I think the big question is DC.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Mazzone will be on staff, but maybe not the play caller, and Mora already knows who he wants. I think the big question is DC.
Bradley would not surprise me. If UCLA was willing to allow Mora to add him to the staff a half dozen years ago there is no reason we shouldn't be willing to add him now. Bonus to that would be his ability to recruit Pennsylvania.

I'm not sure what Arizona wants to do with Fisch but I would be surprised if Mora wouldn't add him immediately if Arizona gives him the axe.

Reaction Score
DC is almost irrelevant in the current college game. When a ball control team like Army scores in the 50s and gets blown out, what else is there to say. NC State scores 42 and loses. With the current pass coverage rules it’s pretty much impossible to play decent defense. Basically put 11 guys out there and hope the opposing team screws up. Or 11 orange cones and hope someone trips over one.

Reaction Score

Fisch is in year 1 of a 5 year contract

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Or 11 orange cones and hope someone trips over one.
You've been here long enough to know that we use chairs as defenders, at least on the basketball board. :)

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score

Fisch is in year 1 of a 5 year contract
Yes but word is he is already on the hot seat. Losing to Northern Arizona (and nearly everyone else they've faced this year) will do that. Making matters worse, an alarming number of decommits sent the fanbase off as well.

I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone (anyone muddling up another school's program that is, if it's someone here who needs to go I'll gladly grease the skids) but if Zona feels the need to pull the plug this early, I can see him landing here.

Reaction Score
DC is almost irrelevant in the current college game. When a ball control team like Army scores in the 50s and gets blown out, what else is there to say. NC State scores 42 and loses. With the current pass coverage rules it’s pretty much impossible to play decent defense. Basically put 11 guys out there and hope the opposing team screws up. Or 11 orange cones and hope someone trips over one.
If DC is almost irrelevant in the current college game, then keeping Spanos as DC doesn’t matter. Great logic by you and the likes you got, keep it up. The Boneheadyard lives on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom