The next dominoes (March 28 edition) | The Boneyard

The next dominoes (March 28 edition)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
With the Final Four upon us, I believe that we are about to enter the final stages of Division 1 realignment.

The CAA has been trying to pursue Howard, but I don't think the latter will blow up the MEAC. Fairfield has also been mentioned as a candidate, but I believe it is Howard or bust for the CAA so they stay put.

C-USA only has nine members from 2023, but there are no indications they plan on expanding further even if it might be prudent.

The WCC will be down to nine members from 2023 as well, but no one moves the needle enough to expand, and Gonzaga's best bet for now is to stay in the league.

The Big South is down to ten schools after a few defections, but ten is a good number and there is no immediate need to expand.

The Horizon has been linked to Bellarmine but the latter seems to be content in a souther league. There is no pressing need for the Horizon to expand past eleven.

The first move I see happening is Tennessee State to the SWAC. Thirteen members is doable in both major sports. They can shelve divisions in football and play four permanent opponents and rotate through the other eight.

The OVC responds by adding Grand Valley State (D2) to get back to ten members.

The A-SUN has been linked to Queens (D2), and they make it happen to expand the league to twelve.

The Southland expands to nine by adding Chicago State.

The final drama is in the Northeast.

The America East expands back to ten by adding Bryant and Quinnipiac.

The MAAC responds by adding Wagner to get back to 10.

The NEC is up last and they add New Haven (D2) and Stonehill (D2) to get back to 10.

This leaves Division 1 with 363 schools.

Reaction Score

-> The Bulldogs will leave the Northeast Conferenceafter a 14-year association, joining the America East for the majority of its sports and the Big South exclusively for football. <-

Reaction Score
Ugh ... :(

This is the 5th schools to leave the NEC for greener pastures since CCSU joined for the 1997-98 season; and 3 of those 5 school joined after Central did.

UMBC (America East) - joined NEC after CCSU
Quinnipiac (MAAC) - joined NEC after CCSU
Monmouth (MAAC)
Robert Morris (Horizon)
Bryant (America East) - joined NEC after CCSU

And what's worse is the MAAC is supposedly adding at least 1 more school - and all eyes are on the NEC.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I think the MAAC is planning on going to 12. FDU or Wagner is likely #12. The NEC will likely backfill now with New Haven.

Reaction Score
I think the MAAC is planning on going to 12. FDU or Wagner is likely #12. The NEC will likely backfill now with New Haven.

Very unlikely that Wagner is leaving for 2022-23. They have football and would have to spend a lot more $$$ on scholarships and travel in the Big South like Bryant recently announced.

America East is currently at 9 and is rumored to have invited Quinnipiac for number 10 - awaiting their decision to stay in the MAAC or leave.

MAAC is at 10 today even before the addition of Mt. St. Mary's. If QU left and Mount was the replacement, they likely stay at 10. I see FDU as a willing partner, but not sure they are extended an invite.

NEC is at 10 right now, but if they lose MSM, I would expect New Haven to be the replacement.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Very unlikely that Wagner is leaving for 2022-23. They have football and would have to spend a lot more $$$ on scholarships and travel in the Big South like Bryant recently announced.

America East is currently at 9 and is rumored to have invited Quinnipiac for number 10 - awaiting their decision to stay in the MAAC or leave.

MAAC is at 10 today even before the addition of Mt. St. Mary's. If QU left and Mount was the replacement, they likely stay at 10. I see FDU as a willing partner, but not sure they are extended an invite.

NEC is at 10 right now, but if they lose MSM, I would expect New Haven to be the replacement.
I have rethought a few of the dominoes.

I think Quinnipiac is going to America East.

MSM is going to the MAAC with FDU to get back to 11.

The NEC adds Mercyhurst and Bentley to get back to 10.

Le Moyne might be #12 for the MAAC.

Reaction Score
I have rethought a few of the dominoes.

I think Quinnipiac is going to America East.

MSM is going to the MAAC with FDU to get back to 11.

The NEC adds Mercyhurst and Bentley to get back to 10.

Le Moyne might be #12 for the MAAC.

I think Quinnipiac to America East is probably 50/50. This is definitely something to watch closely through the end of June.

Mount St. Mary's to the MAAC seems very likely and is possibly the next domino to fall. FDU would certainly take the invite if offered, but I think the FDU invite is more likely only if the MAAC loses another schools, such as QU or Fairfield.

If the Mount does depart for the MAAC - it now seems unlike that New Haven is invited to the NEC. Would make sense that CCSU and Sacred Heart are cool to the idea of another program in their backyard to recruit against. I agree the NEC expansion options are now more likely Bentley, Mercyhurst, etc.

Reaction Score
The Big Movers are the SUNY schools. Governor Kathy Hochul announced that both Buffalo and Stony Brook was going to get massive new capital flow as Flagship schools of the State. I don't see the Buffalo move from the MAC - not in the near term as it doesn't really do much for them; but Stony Brook may jump in Football; and Albany is probably watching. This isn't Quinnipiac 50/50 move; this is an indication of tens of millions changing a campus. Academic as well as Athletic. I'm looking at all these others as linear. NYS can make things a leap.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
With Bryant and QU going America East Maine is really starting to run out of out of conference opponents. Gonna have to start scheduling Hartford, lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom