The next dominoes (July 4 edition) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The next dominoes (July 4 edition)

Reaction Score
A merger of the Big 12 and Pac-12, in some form, is also a possibility.

For me the key term is in some form. That doesn't indicate a wholesale absorption or even the Big XII shell being the shell used for the "merger". I still highly doubt that the AAV for an 16 or 18 team Big XII is greater than the AAV for a 14 team Pac-12 that included Tex. Tech, Ok. State, KU and Houston. Now if the Pac-12 loses Oregon/Washington or more then it becomes more interesting as at that point the Arizona, Colorado, Utah combo are the most valuable assets in that league shell. The best case scenario for both leagues would be a 12 team league that took the Pac-14 scenario and dumped Oregon State and Washington State.

If not for the addition of the four AAC schools, I think the Big XII would be in a much stronger position, as some of this is, in part, being driven by a lack of confidence in the Pac-12 leadership among the member institutions.

Worth noting there is some reporting that no Big XII meeting is happening:
Arizona, ASU, Utah and Colorado were reported late last week to be leaning into a possible contingency escape to the Big 12 themselves, but I’m told by a high-ranking official at one of those universities to pump the brakes on that speculation.

“There is no meeting on the books for us with the Big 12,” the source said, “and George is kicking ass.”
Source: Canzano: Oregon Ducks make a wish list, while Pac-12 rallies behind scenes

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For me the key term is in some form. That doesn't indicate a wholesale absorption or even the Big XII shell being the shell used for the "merger". I still highly doubt that the AAV for an 16 or 18 team Big XII is greater than the AAV for a 14 team Pac-12 that included Tex. Tech, Ok. State, KU and Houston. Now if the Pac-12 loses Oregon/Washington or more then it becomes more interesting as at that point the Arizona, Colorado, Utah combo are the most valuable assets in that league shell. The best case scenario for both leagues would be a 12 team league that took the Pac-14 scenario and dumped Oregon State and Washington State.

If not for the addition of the four AAC schools, I think the Big XII would be in a much stronger position, as some of this is, in part, being driven by a lack of confidence in the Pac-12 leadership among the member institutions.

Worth noting there is some reporting that no Big XII meeting is happening:

Source: Canzano: Oregon Ducks make a wish list, while Pac-12 rallies behind scenes
Why are you attaching Houston to that? They were literally the last team in and have the least value of the new additions. No one cares about Houston in Houston. Check out their bb attendance after a final foul and a top 10 team this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom