The next dominoes (July 15 edition) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The next dominoes (July 15 edition)

Reaction Score
The Pac-12 does not have the advantage over the Pac-12. And the Pac-12 has the most dead weight. Wash State / Oregon State / Cal. What's the dead weight in the Big 12? Uhh Kansas State? Kansas in football sure, but they more than make up for it in hoops. WVU?
The Big XII has to be understood in light of its own history. There were always internecine squabbles about how the money would be divided up because the Texas schools knew that the small markets of the Great Plains schools weren’t bringing in dollars anywhere close to what the Texas schools were generating. No other conference had those same battles for distribution of profits because no one else had the same lopsided imbalance of revenue production.

Now the 2 big Texas schools (UT and A&M) are gone. The 2 big name brand schools, Nebraska and Oklahoma, which drew national audiences, oversized as compared with the size of their local markets, are gone. The only other 2 programs which had big markets in their home states, Missouri and Colorado,p even though their teams weren’t big winners, are also gone. That’s half of the original Big XII that was assembled in the ‘90s.

The Big XII has been hollowed out. The remaining members don’t have value all by themselves, i.e. when they’re not part of big regional rivalries. Texas knew that, which is why they were always fighting for a bigger piece of the pie.

The remaining PAC-12 still has big markets - Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, San Diego, Sacramento, and Phoenix. They command those markets almost entirely with big state schools which have a natural following among the general population. The remnants of the Bug XII are now trying to compete fir the Texas market with private schools like Baylor and TCU.

So, I see the PAC-12 as being in a stronger position with 10 core members left vs only 6 in the Big XII + a bunch of Johnny-come-latelies with no proven track records of their own. Traditional rivalries are limited. The PAC-XII could add 2, 4, or 6 from the Big XII and still have a coherent conference. Or they could go the mega-conference route that the B1G seems to be embarking toward and have 24 (assuming that ND leaves) with coherent divisions on the 2 coasts.

I wouldn’t want to be the B1G, scrambling to find leftovers. They started that a decade ago when they picked up WVU and TCU. They’ve continued with UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, and BYU. Except for BYU, none of these are upgrades. The conference has been weakened, leaving no reason for any PAC-12 schools to defect and join them.

Caveat: All of this could be moot if the B1G continues its raid and grabs Stanford, Washington, Oregon, and possibly Cal.

Reaction Score
The All-Ireland championship game today in London is a sell-out. The 75,000 seat stadium was expected to be full.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for the folks who don't catch your sarcasm and aren't paying attention. We all remember when MLS was going to fail in in season 1, some 26 years ago. From Soccer Sundays and banners at UCONN to premier travel teams to rec leagues. Soccer rules the day here. I even know a kid who got a full ride to a another Big East program and won a national championship. That's not bad. hockey and lacrosse. haha. I read ya.
No sarcasm here. Soccer is not that big of a deal. The best athletes in the U.S. are not playing soccer. They’re playing football and basketball and that’s a fact.

Reaction Score
It's getting more and more difficult to find youth to play football around here, I'm in central Illinois. Recently, the youth leagues have had to combine ages and/or join with another town. One of the decent highschools in the area just entered into a co-op with other area schools to keep the sport alive.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's getting more and more difficult to find youth to play football around here, I'm in central Illinois. Recently, the youth leagues have had to combine ages and/or join with another town. One of the decent highschools in the area just entered into a co-op with other area schools to keep the sport alive.
Football is definitely losing steam at the youth level. So is baseball. Little leagues are merging as well. Only basketball and soccer (least expensive sports to play) are either maintaining or growing.

Reaction Score
Parents who understand CTE - including some former NFL players - are not letting their children to play football.

Reaction Score
No sarcasm here. Soccer is not that big of a deal. The best athletes in the U.S. are not playing soccer. They’re playing football and basketball and that’s a fact.
Wrong. How could you even suggest the best athletes are playing basketball? The NBA has guys who didn't even start playing basketball until high school. They happen to be huge, not great athletes. Soccer players are far better athletes than basketball players. The skill and athleticism required to excel in soccer is so far beyond basketball, there is no debate. Think: Hasheem Thabeet. Case closed. :D Football is a mixed bag. You have some awesome athletes, and some big guys who can push back. I don't even think a kid has to be able to run a mile in order to make the high school team.

Check it. Just about every kid starts out with soccer. some try baseball, some basketball, some football. but they all start with soccer. there are thousands of recreation leagues around. I see guys from their mid 20's through probably 60's playing soccer and softball. Football? No. Basketball? Not as much. Hockey? a few. Soccer is a huge deal. Life is not a spectator sport.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Football is definitely losing steam at the youth level. So is baseball. Little leagues are merging as well. Only basketball and soccer (least expensive sports to play) are either maintaining or growing.
Not in places like Texas.

Reaction Score
In our town there is a growing flag football league but even those kids are getting hurt. Even though they don't tackle, they still collide and hit the ground, so playing without helmets almost makes it worse.

Little league of course takes a hit because of the popularity of the other growing sports. Girls softball has just 1 team to play other towns instead of playing in a league. lacrosse seems to be getting more popular. And of course, everyone at least tries soccer.

Reaction Score
Wrong. How could you even suggest the best athletes are playing basketball? The NBA has guys who didn't even start playing basketball until high school. They happen to be huge, not great athletes. Soccer players are far better athletes than basketball players. The skill and athleticism required to excel in soccer is so far beyond basketball, there is no debate. Think: Hasheem Thabeet. Case closed. :D Football is a mixed bag. You have some awesome athletes, and some big guys who can push back. I don't even think a kid has to be able to run a mile in order to make the high school team.

Check it. Just about every kid starts out with soccer. some try baseball, some basketball, some football. but they all start with soccer. there are thousands of recreation leagues around. I see guys from their mid 20's through probably 60's playing soccer and softball. Football? No. Basketball? Not as much. Hockey? a few. Soccer is a huge deal. Life is not a spectator sport.
Oh, I get it, I missed that you were being sarcastic. In high school, the kids who can’t make the football team play soccer, unless the play a musical instrument, then they join band instead of the soccer team.

Reaction Score
Iowa State, Kansas State, Cincinnati, Houston, Central Florida are all fairly deadweight. Also there really is no “more than makes up for it in basketball” as that’s not how that works at present. So Kansas football is the definition of deadweight. The best brands in the B12 are Oklahoma State and Texas Tech and West Virginia. Baylor and TCU are fairly small alumni bases, but along with BYU would be the best of the rest.

The reason the PAC-12 is in more trouble is because the best bits of the B12 have already been taken. There’s still more meat on the bones with the PAC.
Lots of delusion in this thread. Cincinnati, UCF and BYU are far more desirable than Cal, Washington State, and Oregon State. We'll see who raids who in the coming weeks and months and I guarantee no one is leaving the Big 12 for the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
The Pac-12 does not have the advantage over the Pac-12. And the Pac-12 has the most dead weight. Wash State / bOregon State / Cal. What's the dead weight in the Big 12? Uhh Kansas State? Kansas in football sure, but they more than make up for it in hoops. WVU?
You’re forgetting about Houston as dead weight in the Big XII and you’re underrating Cal. Cincinnati is also dead weight.

The advantage that the PAC-12 has is Washington, Stanford, and Oregon at the top. The Big XII has no one to match those 3. That’s also what makes the PAC-12 vulnerable. If the B1G picks off those 3, it’s “Good night, nurse.” for the PAC-12. But as long as those 3 stick together, there is a nucleus to build around.

Reaction Score
Lots of delusion in this thread. Cincinnati, UCF and BYU are far more desirable than Cal, Washington State, and Oregon State. We'll see who raids who in the coming weeks and months and I guarantee no one is leaving the Big 12 for the Pac 12.
Cinch and UCF are desirable? To whom? But the Big XII has other problems besides just those two. K State, Kansas, and Houston aren’t properties anyone will be fighting over.

I agree with you that BYU brings value, but Utah is comparable. You’re right that AZ, WA State, and OR State don’t bring value. And Colorado is meh. But that still leaves the Big XII with more problems and no real studs at the top.

Reaction Score
Oh, I get it, I missed that you were being sarcastic. In high school, the kids who can’t make the football team play soccer, unless the play a musical instrument, then they join band instead of the soccer team.
A lucky kid who can't make the soccer team becomes a kicker on the gridiron. The rest become motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, mushroom caps. :cool: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom