The next dominoes given today's Pac-12 non news. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The next dominoes given today's Pac-12 non news.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh I’m not convinced of that bit I I think that was ESPNs plan so no exit fees would be due. Since the remaining Big 12 had integrity and stuck together rather than jumping at an offer like rats, there B12 may well survive in some form. I wish the former Big East schools showed that level of institutional integrity. But character is a weird thing, you either have it or you don’t.

The American has absolutely no leverage and there’s no scenario where moving to the American made any sense for any Big 12 school. Schools move towards money, not away from it and the American’s deal is crap. It’s too long, the money is backloaded and schools are picking up ESPN’s production costs.

Right now, Big 12 expansion is odds on.

I kinda think four will be the number - BYU, Cincy, UCF and either USF/Boise/whoever. I really think they need the expanded footprint for when this contract expires - most of them knew that last time around, but acquiesced to UT and stayed at 10.

Would two shock me? Nope - but I think it will be four.

(The Big 12 could have gotten a pro rata bump by expanding in 2016, but they listened to Texas and allowed ESPN to buy out the clause for like $10M….not surprisingly, that has bit them in the ass.)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The American has absolutely no leverage and there’s no scenario where moving to the American made any sense for any Big 12 school. Schools move towards money, not away from it and the American’s deal is crap. It’s too long, the money is backloaded and schools are picking up ESPN’s production costs.

Right now, Big 12 expansion is odds on.

I kinda think four will be the number - BYU, Cincy, UCF and either USF/Boise/whoever. I really think they need the expanded footprint for when this contract expires - most of them knew that last time around, but acquiesced to UT and stayed at 10.

Would two shock me? Nope - but I think it will be four.

(The Big 12 could have gotten a pro rata bump by expanding in 2016, but they listened to Texas and allowed ESPN to buy out the clause for like $10M….not surprisingly, that has bit them in the ass.)
If UConn had been in the AAC, would we be included in this conversation?

The American would have had leverage if ESPN wanted it to. If the cherry picking the B12 and giving American a bump up means that ESPN saves the B12 exit fees, which they've apparently agreed to cover, then they could have made that happen. I just not sure that that math actually worked.

(Unless of course Bowlsby was talking out his ass when he said he evidence of tampering.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If UConn had been in the AAC, would we be included in this conversation?

The American would have had leverage if ESPN wanted it to. If the cherry picking the B12 and giving American a bump up means that ESPN saves the B12 exit fees, which they've apparently agreed to cover, then they could have made that happen. I just not sure that that math actually worked.

(Unless of course Bowlsby was talking out his ass when he said he evidence of tampering.)

It feels like we wouldn’t even be considered. However, rumor was BYU and UConn were well above the others in most metrics and that AD Dave was very confident at one time based on those numbers. If that was the case, you’d think someone would at least mention it within B12 circles. I’m just not sure what our stance would even be if we were brought into the conversation. Would the AD, board and president even want to pursue it? They seem happy with our current plan for Big East and Independence.

One point though, we already asked for entrance to the B12 in 2016. We have expressed interest based on that. If they call us, we would not be breaking our agreement with the Big East to engage them in conversation. However, we probably wouldn’t ever hear a thing about it until a surprise announcement we are headed to the B12 came out of nowhere. The mere discussion of the possibility of us leaving so soon would really piss off the Big East.

CL82

Reaction Score
It feels like we wouldn’t even be considered. However, rumor was BYU and UConn were well above the others in most metrics and that AD Dave was very confident at one time based on those numbers. If that was the case, you’d think someone would at least mention it within B12 circles. I’m just not sure what our stance would even be if we were brought into the conversation. Would the AD, board and president even want to pursue it? They seem happy with our current plan for Big East and Independence.

One point though, we already asked for entrance to the B12 in 2016. We have expressed interest based on that. If they call us, we would not be breaking our agreement with the Big East to engage them in conversation. However, we probably wouldn’t ever hear a thing about it until a surprise announcement we are headed to the B12 came out of nowhere. The mere discussion of the possibility of us leaving so soon would really piss off the Big East.
If I recall correctly the prohibition on talking to another conference was only prior to us joining the Big East.

The big issue, as I said here before, is we can’t go to a transitory solution, because if it doesn’t work out we are never getting back into the Big East.

Reaction Score
Don’t know, but I’d rather be in a conference where the other schools are honest about being approached.
Lol . How’s the honest big 12 working out for its members that didn’t know TX and Ou were plotting for a year on leaving?

it’s easy to be honest when you have no options.

CL82

Reaction Score
Lol . How’s the honest big 12 working out for its members that didn’t know TX and Ou were plotting for a year on leaving?

it’s easy to be honest when you have no options.

True

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom