The New York Giants: What's Next? | The Boneyard

The New York Giants: What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Alright, the Washington win has officially knocked New York out of the playoffs for the 4th year in a row.

Changes have to be made.

I'd have to think that with all the respect the Giants organization has had for Tom Coughlin that there is no way that they merely axe him while letting GM Jerry Reese stay.

I'm hoping they start all over, starting with Reese.

Her's an article from CBS stating that the Giants like the idea of a McAdoo hire while keeping Spagnuola as the defensive coordinator "if Coughlin chooses to retire". We'll see how much of this is really left to Coughlin.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-mcadoo-to-head-coach-if-tom-coughlin-retires

To me I go defense, defense defense top 3 picks...or at the very least 2 of the top 3. The Giants pass defense is hideous. I know everyone says they need more LB's like the good old days but Id still take the best defense lineman and corner you can find somewhere in the top 2/3 rounds. Best way to defend the pass is pressure the QB and get guys who can cover.

Just an FYI, going into the Sunday games there were 12 teams with a record worse than 6-8. We'll see how it shakes out after the rest of the games today/tomorrow. I'd love a top 10 pick if we can lose these next two games.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The smartest draft strategy has always been BPA (best player available). Don't just take a corner with your first pick because you need a corner, if there's a potential pro bowler available on the offensive or defensive line then you take them over someone that might be an average cornerback.

Reaction Score
The smartest draft strategy has always been BPA (best player available). Don't just take a corner with your first pick because you need a corner, if there's a potential pro bowler available on the offensive or defensive line then you take them over someone that might be an average cornerback.

But in this case Rico they really need to get better defensively but I agree, a really good OL there have to grab if the defensive players aren't better.

They need LBers, pass rushers, a breakout RB and another wideout now that we know Randle is a pu**y. So much required don't know where to start.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
But in this case Rico they really need to get better defensively but I agree, a really good OL there have to grab if the defensive players aren't better.

They need LBers, pass rushers, a breakout RB and another wideout now that we know Randle is a pu**y. So much required don't know where to start.

Obviously you'd like to make a weak position stronger, but if you have a chance at a great player, you take him, no matter what position. I remember 4 or 5 years ago the Giants had a great pass rush but the rest of their defense was suspect, and they took another pass rusher in the draft. I remember people scratching their heads at that decision, but that player ended up being JPP and I'd be willing to bet most Giants fans are happy with that pick now.

Reaction Score
Obviously you'd like to make a weak position stronger, but if you have a chance at a great player, you take him, no matter what position. I remember 4 or 5 years ago the Giants had a great pass rush but the rest of their defense was suspect, and they took another pass rusher in the draft. I remember people scratching their heads at that decision, but that player ended up being JPP and I'd be willing to bet most Giants fans are happy with that pick now.

Well now we are about 3/5ths happy with JPP Rico :eek:;). Not like his pick has generated any fireworks to speak of :confused:

Reaction Score
Regarding the draft, if you want to do BPA every time, that's fine as long as you use free agency to fill your greatest holes.

So if the Giants want to go out and add a top DL and CB in the free agent market and then go BPA, OK.

But usually the Giants try to steer clear of free agency outside of the no frills aisles. So I don't trust this current FO. If the next one wants to prove me wrong, lets do it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Regarding the draft, if you want to do BPA every time, that's fine as long as you use free agency to fill your greatest holes.

So if the Giants want to go out and add a top DL and CB in the free agent market and then go BPA, OK.

But usually the Giants try to steer clear of free agency outside of the no frills aisles. So I don't trust this current FO. If the next one wants to prove me wrong, lets do it.

It's not just veteran free agency. The single best way to plug holes is undrafted free agents. If you can hit on a few of your undrafted free agents, you are gold. It doubles your draft class. Also, early season trades often can bring in good mid level talent to fill out a roster. @Rico444 is absolutely right, draft the best player available at all times. That's the correct maxim for any sport, but football especially. The draft is such a crap shoot, you can't try to finesse it by going for need over overall-talent/potential.

Nothing worse than passing on an OL who goes somewhere else and becomes a Pro Bowler, and you are stuck with a run of the mill linebacker because you drafted for need. You could have simply grabbed a run of the mill linebacker in free agency anyway! And with a vet free agent, you pretty much know what you are going to get, so the bust factor isn't as great.

And you never know how the roster will shake out in the future anyway. One of your positions of depth might become one of need because of injuries. If two OL get injured, you are going to be doubly pissed that you didn't take that Pro Bowler in the draft. Instead, you are stuck with your middling LB and holes in the OL.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about passing on a "9 out of 10" OL and taking a "5 out of 10" corner or DL.

I'm talking about passing on a 9 out of 10 OL and taking the 8 out of 10 DE or CB. If the OL is a hair better than the CB or DL by your scouts reports I think you go take the position of need - unless you have already addressed it in FA....in which case sure take the BPA

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm not talking about passing on a "9 out of 10" OL and taking a "5 out of 10" corner or DL.

I'm talking about passing on a 9 out of 10 OL and taking the 8 out of 10 DE or CB. If the OL is a hair better than the CB or DL by your scouts reports I think you go take the position of need - unless you have already addressed it in FA....in which case sure take the BPA

I get what you are saying, but you are eventually bringing the potential or ceiling of your team down that way over time. There's no guarantee a rookie will start, or even play meaningful minutes. Best to sign a competent vet, especially after roster cutdowns. That's one of the best ways to build, when other teams cut players. Bolster that with a bunch of UDFAs, and your set. Since the draft is a crapshoot, make it a quantity thing.

And as I said in another post, you can never tell when a position of surplus, will become a position of need due to injury or underperformance, so you take no chances and get the best guys you can. Again, just my opinion, but a hard and fast rule for me.

Reaction Score
Giants suck so much and the sad part is I'm not even mad.
Because they won 2 Super Bowl with Eli, somehow. That is a huge feat. They won because of defense and Brandon Jacobs. :D And "luck!"

Reaction Score
Because they won 2 Super Bowl with Eli, somehow. That is a huge feat. They won because of defense and Brandon Jacobs. :D And "luck!"

Yeah Eli sucks. Another fan with little knowledge but hey they're everywhere no worries.

Reaction Score

Yeah Eli didnt have any gw drives in those 2 superbowls at all.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
After you have found your franchise QB, every team should look to fill OL and DL first and foremost. Each and every year. Every draft has more than enough skill position players available. But if you short your two most important units (behind QB, of course), then you won't win. It's really that simple. Every year that I watch the draft and see teams taking WRs and the like in the 1st round, I smile knowing that a quality OL/DL is going to fall down to the back end of the 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom