The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season...

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Uconn’s Hand was forced because they no longer had a viable schedule.
I think those conferences going in-league only hurt our schedule, but it was not the end of our season. I believe a schedule could have been put together, likely playing locals teams home and away. Between Army & UMass we could have 4 games. Toss in 2 local FCS like Central CT and we're up to 6 games.
But the risk/reward of doing this wasn't worth it. Maybe AD David Benedict read the tea leaves and knew schools weren't going to play anyway, so go for good press and cancel for student safety.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Because the NFL has said they want an NFL event to happen in every single month of the yr
That's great but Coronavirus came and we don't get everything that we want right now. They also want stands full of fans, that ain't happening either. If I were the NFL, as much as it tightens timelines I'd rather let my talent pool grow and develop. If they have to have the combine, run it in January just before practice starts (have voluntary workouts). Run the draft at the end of June when the season ends.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I don't get why you move forward with that kind of input. No championship. It's just games to play games (and maybe get sick). Why not try to rally the troops for a spring season with meaningful games?

Reaction Score
Nebraska breaking out....

The Huskers would like to play a Big Ten season, Frost said. If that's not possible, he said they would consider "other options."

Reaction Score

The Huskers would like to play a Big Ten season, Frost said. If that's not possible, he said they would consider "other options."
Sounded good in his head eh?

Reaction Score
Sounded good in his head eh?

Maybe he is multiple personality...he went on from that quote to this:

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the argument that canceling football is BAD for player health. Do they think the only options are “play football” and “run wind sprints through a COVID ward”?

It's optics...liability..

The players themselves have been making the statement that they are safer in football than going home..without support, testing, etc

Reaction Score

Myocarditis is most frequently diagnosed in younger adults between the ages of 20 and 40 years.
Some things that can cause myocarditis include:
Fungal and parasitic infections can also cause it.

Other causes include certain chemicals or allergic reactions to medications or toxins like:

An autoimmune disease that causes inflammation throughout your body, like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis, may also lead to myocarditis.

Signs and Symptoms

Myocarditis often has no symptoms. In fact, most people recover and never even know they had it.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
It's optics...liability..

The players themselves have been making the statement that they are safer in football than going home..without support, testing, etc
But if football is cancelled they would be living on campus, and if football happens, they would also be living on campus, with the same support (or lack thereof).

Reaction Score
But if football is cancelled they would be living on campus, and if football happens, they would also be living on campus, with the same support (or lack thereof).

Not really...they go to off season mode....just students living the student life in apartments. Students who travel, go home...visit. Parties and clubbing...the student life.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If the SEC successfully pulls together the SEC-ACC and a couple of others (Oklahoma, Texas, or Nebraska, say) and have a fall season, that couldn't be great for basketball...

SEC & ACC Football in the fall, Big Ten & Pac 12 football in the spring....all televised.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
Not really...they go to off season mode....just students living the student life in apartments. Students who travel, go home...visit. Parties and clubbing...the student life.

Reaction Score
I don't get why you move forward with that kind of input. No championship. It's just games to play games (and maybe get sick). Why not try to rally the troops for a spring season with meaningful games?

The B1G and Pac12 put the SEC schools in severe danger in case of a lawsuit. "Why didn't you cancel your season like the B1G did and instead you put this student at risk?"

Reaction Score

Dan Patrick said this morning that Nebraska and Iowa were the two schools from the Big 10 that want to play.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In college, not that I remember. Post grad, more frequently.

And that is where I'm going. Having kids sit in their rooms watching a lecture or sitting outside in a courtyard watching it on their mobile device isn't much less humanizing than just sitting in a hall hearing stuff for 50 minutes. I could make the case online learning for many of these classes is more efficient since a student can log on and watch/listen when they are ready rather than on a fixed class schedule.

Reaction Score

Right...they send them to their apartrments and life as a student...like I said...and students travel, visit home, party...who is safer, a student or a highly regulated player?

Reaction Score
And that is where I'm going. Having kids sit in their rooms watching a lecture or sitting outside in a courtyard watching it on their mobile device isn't much less humanizing than just sitting in a hall hearing stuff for 50 minutes. I could make the case online learning for many of these classes is more efficient since a student can log on and watch/listen when they are ready rather than on a fixed class schedule.

The reality though is different. There have been studies. Huge differences in learning, unfortunately. Kids are distracted easily these days.

And I'd imagined it is even worse if a student has no option (i.e. if they are forced into online classes). It's one thing to sign up for an online class, but quite another to be forced into it by default.

Most classes at universities are not large lectures anyway.

phillionaire

Reaction Score
Right...they send them to their apartrments and life as a student...like I said...and students travel, visit home, party...who is safer, a student or a highly regulated player?
The “highly regulated players” are students, or have we all just given up on the fact that these are student athletes

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Maybe he is multiple personality...he went on from that quote to this:

This is what I said in another post. Conferences cancel but the big programs may move forward.... interesting to see long term conference impacts of this

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom