The guards lost last year's S. Car. game sans Crystal; Not Olivia! | The Boneyard

The guards lost last year's S. Car. game sans Crystal; Not Olivia!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The guards (Meg, Christyn, and Anna) shot 25%. Crystal came to play. She was 9-18 for 25 points. The guards sans Crystal had numerous drives that ended in them circling back out to the perimeter or passing for yet another missed 3 pointer. There were no attempts to challenge Boston to induce a foul or attract Boston's attention and pass around her to Olivia for a hoop. I believe this year UCONN has better guards to penetrate in order to challenge Boston or to pull up for an easy two. Hopefully Evina's and Paige's 3 point shots will be on target. You to Nika! Last year Olivia shot 5-12 10 points and had 10 rebounds with 4 assists, 3 blocks, 1 steal, 3 turnovers. Boston shot 6-14 13 points and had 12 rebounds with 1 assist, 2 blocks, and 3 steals, 2 turnovers. Olivia fouled out with 1:15 left in the game. But she played the 4th qtr with 4 fouls. So no more swipe blocking!!!

In last year's USC game UCONN set an ignominious record with TWO points in the entire first quarter. USC had 11 points in the first qtr. So I can see why Geno is so concerned with this team's penchant for slow starts. "If things don't go right early on, it's hard to right the ship," Auriemma said. I'd start Olivia, Aaliyah, Evina, Nika, and Paige. We need energy early and often. The frosh are not afraid to challenge their opponents. Christyn can reprise the Bria Hartley role. The only worry is where Bria embraced the role; Christyn may pout. May have to start her and see how the offense flows. But I feel more comfortable with Aaliyah.

Reaction Score
No way does he bench Christyn for this game. Not a chance. Whether we look better with her on the bench is a whole other thing, at times we have done in all honesty. You’d hope a big game like this she just sticks to what she’s good at and what’s been working well the last couple games and doesn’t try things she can’t do, like become a mosqueda Lewis / Lou type 3 point shooter.
paige and E should be taking our 3’s first quarter.
hopefully we get off to a good start = making shots and staying out of foul trouble!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
:eek: The depth of self-deception that some posters go through.

Statement: "There were no attempts to challenge Boston to induce a foul or attract Boston's attention and pass around her to Olivia for a hoop.

Facts
:
Olivia had 12 FGA in the game last year that was 2nd most on the team. Liv fouled out of the game last year. Boston had 1 foul in the game last year. Boston had Zero FT attempts in the game last year. Liv had 2 FT attempts and missed both.

Analysis : Unless you think Olivia took the ball coast to coast someone passed her the ball so she could get those shot attempts off. "Induce foul trouble for Boston"-that was supposed to be the plan? Me thinks a better plan would be to have Liv control her own fouling- Wait what am I saying? Let's try your plan!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Having recently re-watched the game, I do not recall any plays where Olivia cut to the basket and took a pass near the basket, or where she drove to the basket against Boston. Her shots were either jump shots from near the free throw line, or they were layup attempts after conventional entry passes to the low post. I don't recall any pick and roll action using Olivia. So I think it is accurate to say that Boston was not tested with regard to her ability to cover Olivia on the move.

Since Olivia's main advantage over Boston should be her mobility, I would expect more of the above kinds of action in tonight's game. I also expect to see more high-low action between Liv and Aaliyah Edwards. Obviously, nothing like that occurred last year.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Having recently re-watched the game, I do not recall any plays where Olivia cut to the basket and took a pass near the basket, or where she drove to the basket against Boston. Her shots were either jump shots from near the free throw line, or they were layup attempts after conventional entry passes to the low post. I don't recall any pick and roll action using Olivia. So I think it is accurate to say that Boston was not tested with regard to her ability to cover Olivia on the move.

Since Olivia's main advantage over Boston should be her mobility, I would expect more of the above kinds of action in tonight's game. I also expect to see more high-low action between Liv and Aaliyah Edwards. Obviously, nothing like that occurred last year.
I agree in principle, differ on Liv having greater mobility, having watched SC and Boston in particular I feel her mobility is every bit as good as Liv's, and she uses it to a much greater degree. I so much want Liv to be what we all want her to be, so far in big games she has been MIA. Hoping tonight she takes that next step. We'll know soon.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
:eek: The depth of self-deception that some posters go through.

Statement: "There were no attempts to challenge Boston to induce a foul or attract Boston's attention and pass around her to Olivia for a hoop.

Facts
:
Olivia had 12 FGA in the game last year that was 2nd most on the team. Liv fouled out of the game last year. Boston had 1 foul in the game last year. Boston had Zero FT attempts in the game last year. Liv had 2 FT attempts and missed both.

Analysis : Unless you think Olivia took the ball coast to coast someone passed her the ball so she could get those shot attempts off. "Induce foul trouble for Boston"-that was supposed to be the plan? Me thinks a better plan would be to have Liv control her own fouling- Wait what am I saying? Let's try your plan!
7 offensive rebounds! Talk about self-deception! ;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
7 offensive rebounds! Talk about self-deception! ;)
Complete and utter self deception! Good thing there is a play by play Liv collected 7 offensive rebounds during the game. She shot the ball 3 of the 7 times after collecting a rebound. So there were 9 shots attempts where someone was setting her up.

Reaction Score
I hope Geno is patient tonight with this team that depends so much on the frosh. They have been playing so very well, but this is obviously going to be a whole new experience for them. I really hope that he is cool and calm if things don't go well early.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Different players on each team, different conditions, etc - last year's game has no bearing on this year's game.
I sort of disagree and here's why:

Sweet 16 - 2016
UCONN 98
Mississippi Statet 38

Final 4 - 2017 in OT
UCONN 64
Mississippi State 66

Obviously it was different teams. In 2016 UCONN had Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson. But don't you think MSU learned from the beatdown? I really thought we would slaughter them in 2017 - by at least 20. I was shocked at the result. Credit to MSU and Schaeffer for coming up with a winning game plan.

So while this years' UCONN vs. SC game features teams who lost 4 players from last year (Walker/Danger and Harris/Harrigan), and UCONN has 7 new faces, there are still players on each side who were involved in last years' game. I do think it's probable that players from both teams remember the game and have thought about what they might do differently...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I sort of disagree and here's why:

Sweet 16 - 2016
UCONN 98
Mississippi Statet 38

Final 4 - 2017 in OT
UCONN 64
Mississippi State 66

Obviously it was different teams. In 2016 UCONN had Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson. But don't you think MSU learned from the beatdown? I really thought we would slaughter them in 2017 - by at least 20. I was shocked at the result. Credit to MSU and Schaeffer for coming up with a winning game plan.

So while this years' UCONN vs. SC game features teams who lost 4 players from last year (Walker/Danger and Harris/Harrigan), and UCONN has 7 new faces, there are still players on each side who were involved in last years' game. I do think it's probable that players from both teams remember the game and have thought about what they might do differently...
You just proved my point...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You just proved my point...
Yeah, nope.

Per Vic Schaeffer: “You better learn from it,” Vic Schaefer said. “You better go to the film room, you better take notes, you better understand we made some mistakes and we’ve got to correct them. That was the beauty of last year’s team. We went to the film room and got better.”

Reaction Score
No way does he bench Christyn for this game. Not a chance. Whether we look better with her on the bench is a whole other thing, at times we have done in all honesty. You’d hope a big game like this she just sticks to what she’s good at and what’s been working well the last couple games and doesn’t try things she can’t do, like become a mosqueda Lewis / Lou type 3 point shooter.
paige and E should be taking our 3’s first quarter.
hopefully we get off to a good start = making shots and staying out of foul trouble!
Hate to make a negative comment after such a classic game but getting sick watching Williams each game 35 feet from basket dribbling in place between her legs. She has the ability to overpower most guards. Get her the basket in a position to drive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom