The goal for the next 6 weeks. | The Boneyard

The goal for the next 6 weeks.

Reaction Score
If we're going to entertain any real run at the end of the conf schedule, the conf tourney and the Dance, we are going to need to identify the go-to guy.

All the great teams had a guy to lean on when everything else went wrong. Injuries, early fouls, lid on the basket. Rip Hamilton was your guy in 99. Caron Butler vs Maryland in the tourney. Shabazz and Kemba in their runs.

It's not going to be Sanogo. You just can't accomplish that through a center. Jackson just doesn't score consistently enough when we're cold one night to count on. It's gotta be Hawkins. Hawkins has to figure out how to play within the offense, but take it over when they need him to take it over.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It’d be nice, but I don’t think we have “the guy.” Sanogo or Hawkins is the leading scorer, but it changes every game. This team has to win with elite defense, and balanced offense. Kemba isn’t walking through the door.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I want more than one go-to guy. Like in the year you left off, 2004.

Dilemma is Jackson is probably the best at being able to break down his defender but he is reluctant to shoot.
Newton can get by his man, is a real good FT shooter if he gets fouled but decision making on the fly hasn't been great.
Hawkins has looked better going to the hoop and is also a real good FT shooter but I still don't trust his handle going one v. one with the ball when the clock is running down.
Crazy as it sounds, Joey has been pretty good lately getting to the rim for layups and is money from the line.
This I do know. In the NCAAT if it's tight at the end of the game, Joey C will be on the floor on offense.

Reaction Score
If we're going to entertain any real run at the end of the conf schedule, the conf tourney and the Dance, we are going to need to identify the go-to guy.

All the great teams had a guy to lean on when everything else went wrong. Injuries, early fouls, lid on the basket. Rip Hamilton was your guy in 99. Caron Butler vs Maryland in the tourney. Shabazz and Kemba in their runs.

It's not going to be Sanogo. You just can't accomplish that through a center. Jackson just doesn't score consistently enough when we're cold one night to count on. It's gotta be Hawkins. Hawkins has to figure out how to play within the offense, but take it over when they need him to take it over.
Who was Nova's go to guy?

Brunson? Bridges? DiVincenzo?

Who was the go to guy for Virginia?

Kyle Guy? DeAndre Hunter? Ty Jerome?

Who was the go to guy for Baylor?

Jared Butler? MaCio Teague? Davion Mitchell?

Who was the go to guy for Kansas?

Ochai Agbai? Christian Braun? David McCormack? Jalen Wilson? Remy Martin?

Who was the go to guy for UNC?

Justin Jackson? Joel Berry? Kennedy Meeks? Isaiah Hicks?

Reaction Score
Dilemma is Jackson is probably the best at being able to break down his defender but he is reluctant to shoot.
Newton can get by his man, is a real good FT shooter if he gets fouled but decision making on the fly hasn't been great.
Hawkins has looked better going to the hoop and is also a real good FT shooter but I still don't trust his handle going one v. one with the ball when the clock is running down.
Crazy as it sounds, Joey has been pretty good lately getting to the rim for layups and is money from the line.
This I do know. In the NCAAT if it's tight at the end of the game, Joey C will be on the floor on offense.
I'm sorry. I like the post but I literally LOL.

Reaction Score
Go-To-By-Committee

We'll need some go-to plays because we have shooters and we have rebounders. Hawkins or Jackson (when he learns that no one can stop him) drive to the hoop and Clingan or Sanogo to clean the glass. There's your winner.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I want more than one go-to guy. Like in the year you left off, 2004.
This is the obvious counterexample and indeed required pointing out the serious omission of 2004, especially given that Emeka & Ben were the 2nd & 3rd NBA Draft choices. Okafor completely took over on offense & defense in the the semi-final against Duke, when UConn was down 75-67 in the closing minutes.

Adjusting for changes in the game in recent years, consider Baylor running previously undefeated Gonzaga ragged in the 2021 NCAA Finals, without a single go-to star and using an 8-man rotation, after going 9 deep throughout the season.

Reaction Score
The way this team has been playing defense, their defensive identity might be 'there "go to guy". Their depth is also key. I think for the next 6 weeks, they just need to come out of it healthy. They have more than a handful of guys who can 'go off' on any given night.

For me, it's scary because these guys really haven't been playing together for all that long. They may even get better finding each other and learning from each other.

Finally, about Hawkins, Rip didn't become the alpha until near the end of his sophomore season. Rashamel Jones was the leading scorer for most of the year. Hawk is learning and if he stays healthy, he could end up being a steady force this season. I'm impressed with how much he has improved defensively. The announcer rightfully talk about his sweet sroke and athleticism, but he's becoming a pretty darn good on the ball defender.

Reaction Score
The way this team has been playing defense, their defensive identity might be 'there "go to guy". Their depth is also key. I think for the next 6 weeks, they just need to come out of it healthy. They have more than a handful of guys who can 'go off' on any given night.

For me, it's scary because these guys really haven't been playing together for all that long. They may even get better finding each other and learning from each other.

Finally, about Hawkins, Rip didn't become the alpha until near the end of his sophomore season. Rashamel Jones was the leading scorer for most of the year. Hawk is learning and if he stays healthy, he could end up being a steady force this season. I'm impressed with how much he has improved defensively. The announcer rightfully talk about his sweet sroke and athleticism, but he's becoming a pretty darn good on the ball defender.

I don’t disagree with any of this. But at some point in an elimination type situation, we will need one guy that rises out from the rest.

Reaction Score
Continue to develop Newton at the point, work on beating full court pressure, figure out how to work Samson into the rotation.

Reaction Score

You're getting your years mixed up, Rip was always the alpha his sophomore season. He was Big East player of the Year and 2nd team All-American, Rash was just a bench player who didn't score much.

Reaction Score
Guard play is so important in close games and we haven't seen what will happen yet in those situations. It's going to be very important that Newton can break his man down and get in the paint and make something happen. I think he's got it in him, but he's been passive at times.

Hawkins will hit some big shots this year, but I don't think he's nearly ready to create his own shot. He certainly looks a lot better with the ball in his hands but he hasn't shown me enough to trust him in a late game situation yet. It wouldn't shock me if he turns into the guy, but I just don't think his handle is ready for elite defensive teams. Would happily be wrong if he proves otherwise.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Nope.

Joey Calcaterrorize Ya!!!!

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with any of this. But at some point in an elimination type situation, we will need one guy that rises out from the rest.
And we have multiple guys that we can go to that hit big shots. It’s how we consistently kill runs.

Need a three? Hawkins, Joey C, Newton, Karaban, all capable of hitting shots.

They can’t defend the paint? Sanogo, Clingan, can go to work.

Pick and roll? Newton/Sanogo, Joey C/Clingan.

If we need a bucket, there’s different ways we can attack based on advantages.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom