The Expanse | The Boneyard

The Expanse

Reaction Score
http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse

Very excited to see that this is becoming a tv series. I think a few of us here have read the books. This is syfy's most expensive series yet. From what I have read, they are trying to actually become a science fiction based channel again.

Trailer below.

http://expanse.wikia.com/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV)

Tom Jane is perfectly cast in this, but I don't know about that hat. But admittedly the trailer doesn't do much for me. The authors are involved with the writing team so the series will most likely be representative of the books. It does seem like the first season will combine more than one book or blend the storyline of at least the first two books.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Watched the first 4 episodes on demand today. I haven't read the books but I like it so far. Decent production values and they are setting up the different cultures and politics of Earth, Mars and the (asteroid) Belt. Pretty eventful plot developments in the first four episodes, looking forward to more.

I also watched SyFy's adaptation of Arthur Clarke's Childhood's End. It was kind of meh, though it did have Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) in it. Similar idea to Contact. Probably a good thing they did it as three 2 hr episodes instead of a longer season.

Reaction Score
Watched the first 4 episodes on demand today. I haven't read the books but I like it so far. Decent production values and they are setting up the different cultures and politics of Earth, Mars and the (asteroid) Belt. Pretty eventful plot developments in the first four episodes, looking forward to more.

I also watched SyFy's adaptation of Arthur Clarke's Childhood's End. It was kind of meh, though it did have Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) in it. Similar idea to Contact. Probably a good thing they did it as three 2 hr episodes instead of a longer season.

The series is a bit like the first book. Slow in starting but picking up steam gradually. I thought the last episode infusing the Fred Johnson "Butcher of Anderson Station" Novella was good. Episode 3&4 have been the best so far.

I am really looking forward to some of the forthcoming events. Although I am wondering if there is enough time left with 10 episodes. SyFy has already picked it up for a second season.

Reaction Score
Season 2 trailer.... looks pretty damn good>

I'm almost three books behind now. Looks like a blend of book one and book two. I need to rewatch season one I think.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When is this back on?

Reaction Score
This is kind of an interesting show/book series for the times.

When reading the books, Avarsala struck me as a version of what liberals wished Hillary was; as competent and effective as she appeared to be. Definitely a globalist but always putting the Earth first. She makes for a good character because she is foul mouthed but actually really good at swearing.

Holden strikes me as an idealistic Han Solo meets Snowden with a dash of pre-Trump Julian Assange when people thought that what he really cared about was transparency. He basically leaks out a bunch of info that he really doesn't understand which has some really serious consequences and a bunch of people die.

Miller is the realist and is more rational than Holden. That's about all I want to say. But it's funny considering Holden is from earth and Miller is a Belter.
I hope we get to see their conflicted partnership this season.

I just thought the authors were either timely or clairvoyant in this story. Because it asks the question about the price of transparency. The belters also seem to me like a metaphor for the populist movement around the world; people who are fed up with being dictated to by the more established Earth and Mars.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This is kind of an interesting show/book series for the times.
The belters also seem to me like a metaphor for the populist movement around the world; people who are fed up with being dictated to by the more established Earth and Mars.

^^^ This is the key to the series in my view. It's another take on this theme, like The Hunger Games. The central ruling body denigrates, despises and takes advantage of the manual laborers doing the real work elsewhere ("flyover country").

You can call it populism, but increasingly I think of it as decentralization and localization. A rejection of decision making and government by people who are distant from your specific reality and situation. It's a strong global trend at present.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
^^^ This is the key to the series in my view. It's another take on this theme, like The Hunger Games. The central ruling body denigrates, despises and takes advantage of the manual laborers doing the real work elsewhere ("flyover country").

You can call it populism, but increasingly I think of it as decentralization and localization. A rejection of decision making and government by people who are distant from your specific reality and situation. It's a strong global trend at present.

Sort of a tangent, but the Hunger Games was incredibly light weight fare. For the real deal, check out Battle Royale. It's a Japanese thriller circa 2000 about a strikingly similar subject (read: the HG author ripped off BR). And the original was way better.

See it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Is anyone watching season two? It has really picked up the pace lately.

Reaction Score
Yeah, spoilers below.

I was waiting for the Nauvoo attack on Eros. It was my favorite scene from the first book. But I thought it kind of whiffed in the show. Although the picture I see in my head for that scene is probably hard to replicate. Miller standing on Eros, a giant space ship bearing down and the asteroid warping out of the way.

The chase in the next episode was really good. Going to watch last night's episode tonight.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
They haven't had the slowdown that Game of Thrones had in some seasons. We already have outer space White Walkers! (I only make that comparison because in interview clips with the showrunner / writers they make the comparison A LOT).

Too bad the show's not on HBO - would have had some Julie Mao nippleage.

Oh and interesting to see that they're making a board game, given that the story started as an idea for a game.

WIZKIDS BOARD GAME BASED ON THE SYFY SERIES THE EXPANSE TO ARRIVE THIS SUMMER

junglehusky

Reaction Score
I admit I did not see the Ehrenreich move coming. Totally had me faked out that he was going to commit seppuku. Got a kick out of Bobbi nomming on all the cucumber sandwiches.

Reaction Score
I admit I did not see the Ehrenreich move coming. Totally had me faked out that he was going to commit seppuku. Got a kick out of Bobbi nomming on all the cucumber sandwiches.

Just like in the books for me, Avarsala seems to be the most fleshed out character. I think Ehrenright is only in book one. I forgot what his deal was. There are some more cool twists coming up.

I kind of expected a more seasoned actress for Bobbie. Also the power armor was a bit disappointing.

I need to see Fred Johnson doing more Fred Johnson stuff.

Reaction Score
Last episode of the season wasn't that great. It's interesting, because the books offer a couple of really obvious cliffhangers to end the season on.

Reaction Score
Just like in the books for me, Avarsala seems to be the most fleshed out character. I think Ehrenright is only in book one. I forgot what his deal was. There are some more cool twists coming up.

I kind of expected a more seasoned actress for Bobbie. Also the power armor was a bit disappointing.

I need to see Fred Johnson doing more Fred Johnson stuff.

I love Avasarala in both the books and the show. Errinwright and the whole Avasarala/Errinwright/Mao ordeal played out in Book 2, albeit a little differently (IIRC).

For Bobbie, they prioritized and nailed the physical representation of the character (physically imposing, Polynesian heritage), and I love the Kiwi accent. The writing and acting could be a little better for her though -- I found her more compelling in the book.

By and large they're following the books sequentially. Season 1 was basically the first 2/3 of Book 1. Season 2 was the end of Book 1 and the first half of Book 2.

I'm really looking forward to the latter half of Season 3 (which should cover the first part of Book 3, the most interesting part of the series I've read so far). I expect a phenomenal Season 3 finale. Unfortunately we have to wait a year for it.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I enjoy the show but really dislike the Holden actor, Steven Strait. He's so freaking wooden it' annoying. He either he alternates between sexy zoolander face and confused zoolander face. And every line is delivered with the absolute utmost gravity. I don't like looking at or listening to him. /rant

Conversely, the rest of that crew is fantastic.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I haven't read any of the books, but I've been enjoying the show. Season 1 was intriguing but kinda slow. Much more action in Season 2. Shohreh Aghdashloo may be a talented actress, but her voice kills me. Sounds like she's been smoking 10 packs of cigarettes a day her entire life or something.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Sort of a tangent, but the Hunger Games was incredibly light weight fare. For the real deal, check out Battle Royale. It's a Japanese thriller circa 2000 about a strikingly similar subject (read: the HG author ripped off BR). And the original was way better.

See it

I'd heard that so many times. I finally watched Battle Royale. I didn't care for it. I thought it was totally melodramatic, campy, and had terrible acting. I didn't find it as similar to Hunger Games as most other people seem to find it. Beyond the kids killing kids part, the set up and then what ensues are fairly different.

Ever read Red Rising by Pierce Brown? Highly entertaining sci fi that also includes some brutal youth on youth violence. It's not a last one standing thing though, they are on teams competing against other teams.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'd heard that so many times. I finally watched Battle Royale. I didn't care for it. I thought it was totally melodramatic, campy, and had terrible acting. I didn't find it as similar to Hunger Games as most other people seem to find it. Beyond the kids killing kids part, the set up and then what ensues are fairly different.

It is definitely campy, that's part of the appeal. haha That's why it's a cult classic. I liked the fact that it had a darker, less polished feel than HG. HG was almost too neatly done.

Ever read Red Rising by Pierce Brown? Highly entertaining sci fi that also includes some brutal youth on youth violence. It's not a last one standing thing though, they are on teams competing against other teams.

Never read Red Rising. Is it a YA novel? If so, is the writing adult enough to still be entertaining? While I liked THG, I was mildly put off by the writing level.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Never read Red Rising. Is it a YA novel? If so, is the writing adult enough to still be entertaining? While I liked THG, I was mildly put off by the writing level.

It was marketed as a THG type of story w/ a male main character instead, but to me it didn't really seem like YA. More depth to it, and also while there were a few romantic entanglements it didn't sidetrack the entire story line repeatedly like what happens in THG or the Divergent series. With those I found myself having to skip over sections of the books w/ a female main character obsessing over her boyfriend. None of that kind of stuff going on in Red Rising. And also while the main character is only 16 when the story begins, in the world he lives in that's a full grown man who has a potentially deadly job running a high powered drill rig deep below the surface of Mars. He is married and what sets everything in motion is when his wife is killed due to the oppressive laws of the ruling class. There is a very repressive caste system that he seeks to bring down.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It was marketed as a THG type of story w/ a male main character instead, but to me it didn't really seem like YA. More depth to it, and also while there were a few romantic entanglements it didn't sidetrack the entire story line repeatedly like what happens in THG or the Divergent series. With those I found myself having to skip over sections of the books w/ a female main character obsessing over her boyfriend. None of that kind of stuff going on in Red Rising. And also while the main character is only 16 when the story begins, in the world he lives in that's a full grown man who has a potentially deadly job running a high powered drill rig deep below the surface of Mars. He is married and what sets everything in motion is when his wife is killed due to the oppressive laws of the ruling class. There is a very repressive caste system that he seeks to bring down.

Interesting. Thanks. I'll check it out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Interesting. Thanks. I'll check it out.

It took 50-100 pages to really get going, after that it was nonstop. First book in a trilogy. Book 2 was nonstop the whole way. Third book wasn't quite as good but I had to see how everything ended up. The series is pretty epic in scale. Has some elements that seem more Game of Thrones and The Expanse than YA. There are deep seated rivalries between families in the ruling class and struggles between several planets/moons for control and power. The prose may not be great but it's not sophomoric and I got so caught up in the characters and the story I could hardly put it down once I started each book. I'm thinking about rereading the series now that it's been a while. Film rights were sold several years ago but it's been stuck in development hell so far.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom