The Difference | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Difference

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Fire Nick Charlton into the sun.
Yes. I was one who thought this splash hire was great. A young upcoming coach at a decent 1-AA school getting it done on a budget. A steal. Then we got “iceball” as you say and buyer’s remorse.
9 yard routs by receivers on 4th and 10.

Reaction Score
Not sure if they showed it on tv, but Mora was in the refs faces for like 2 minutes straight. He was fuming.
Watched that but from the top row.was wondering if it was going to get physical. Looked like Charlton was getting into too. Thinking in BB they’d be ejected.

Reaction Score
Yeah. We would lose this by 35 under Edsall.

Rutgers is Bowl eligible for the first time since 2014. We need to spend a few years accumulating talent and having some consistent leadership.

I hope Jim Mora is still all in. I hope that the school does everything in their power to support him and the program.
Rutgers has B1G money now. No comparison

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
My understanding is Roberson wasn't 100% to start the season. To which, I have to accept as a fact, because it the staff elected to start Fagnano over him...jeez.

Roberson has shaken off enough rust to be playable - which sadly isn't a crazy hurdle to clear for most programs besides ours - and the fact he still has eligibility past this season would give us some sorely needed stability at that position.

This season is shot as far as bowl eligibility goes but each win (to me) does make a difference if only by perception of simply having a bad year vs a laughingstock.

Reaction Score
Yes. I was one who thought this splash hire was great. A young upcoming coach at a decent 1-AA school getting it done on a budget. A steal. Then we got “iceball” as you say and buyer’s remorse.
9 yard routs by receivers on 4th and 10.
Is that on coaches or players? I cannot believe they are coached that way. Oh and the number of drops. We have to be near the top of FBS in that category. Do we think they're coached to drop passes as well? My biggest disappointment is that none of the HS recruited WRs has come close to making a mark, but they're all either freshmen or RS Freshmen. Starting next year i hope we see something from those guys. Cause the level of guy we getting from the portal haven't been game breakers.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Some of the mistakes the players make (missed PAT block, running out the back of the end zone to sub, flipping into the end zone on the TD, multiple drops of catchable balls, poor tackling technique, open in the middle of D, etc) indicate a coaching problem.
  1. Mora is the CEO of the program. He should not be in the weeds of any of the three phases of the game.
  2. Fire Charleton. He has made too many poor decisions to warrant keeping his job.
  3. Fire the special teams coach. The PAT missed block is inexcusable.
  4. Hire a dedicated DC. We need Mora's attention on helping the coaches, not devising D schemes.

Reaction Score
Some of the mistakes the players make (missed PAT block, running out the back of the end zone to sub, flipping into the end zone on the TD, multiple drops of catchable balls, poor tackling technique, open in the middle of D, etc) indicate a coaching problem.
  1. Mora is the CEO of the program. He should not be in the weeds of any of the three phases of the game.
  2. Fire Charleton. He has made too many poor decisions to warrant keeping his job.
  4. Hire a dedicated DC. We need Mora's attention on helping the coaches, not devising D schemes.
Agree with all 4 points, but the firing parts. Maybe there is a lesser role for ST and OC that they could make work. Nothing personal against either of them, but they appear to be in over their heads. The DC needs to there just to free up Mora as CEO.

Reaction Score
The one thing that's always going to make me question Mora's commitment is that he's perpetually had one foot out the door wherever he's coached. Let's not forget he basically got fired as HC of the Falcons for (joking?) that he would quit to take the Washington HC job in a hot second, and similar expressions of sentiment accompanied his dismissal from UCLA.

Reaction Score
Razorbacks fire OC Enos after sixth straight loss
Sooo, precedent's been set, let's follow Arkansas's lead who canned their OC and are 2-6.
We could fire Charlton, hire him, fire him again, hire him back and fire him a third time and it would not make one iota of difference. The team has some talented offensive players but it is sorely lacking in depth. The dropoff from starters to reserves is like peering over the South rim of the Grand Canyon.

Reaction Score
Razorbacks fire OC Enos after sixth straight loss
Sooo, precedent's been set, let's follow Arkansas's lead who canned their OC and are 2-6.
This is what schools with money that care about football do.

Rutgers fired their OC last yr with over $1MM owed to him & hired a new one for $1.2MM.

I know they have B1G money and we don’t but at some point UConn needs to figure this out. We have no DC and an incompetent OC. You cannot run a serious football program like this.

Reaction Score
Yes, saw it I thought he was going to be tossed.
That showed commitment in my eyes. I liked it. Call out the refs in the press conferences. That will let future refs know they are being watched and will be called out.

Reaction Score
I like this. Here's my list of priorities:

1. NIL Solution. One that pays all the players something.

2. Find another 2M to hire better assistant coaches. Not just the coordinators, but also coach #10 so that top to bottom, we have better overall coaches.

3. Invest in more analysts. I don't get the sense that we doing a good enough job scouting other teams, other players, college transfers, and high school recruits.

4. Hire coordinators that have results from FBS schools. UNLV is a top 20 scoring offense with first year OC Brennan Marion. If not him, then one of the Sun Belt OCs like Bryan Ellis (GSU), Mack Leftwich (Texas State), Mike Shanahan (JMU, my pick), Frank Ponce (App St). All of those guys represent top 40 scoring offenses.

5. Find a Senior, RS Senior, Grad Student, or Super Grad with covid year Senior QB. Think JT Daniels from Rice. No reason why we can't get a guy like that to come in. We could be undefeated if we had this guy this year. The OC matters here though. The QB is gonna want to run a system he knows or is comfortable with.

6. Find transfers to fix our WRs and LBs room. We kinda need a roster overhaul in general with a lot of good players leaving and/or graduating (Mitchell, Hanyes, Noel, Houston, Brewer, etc).

The other issues, tackling, drop passes, special teams, etc. will fix itself if the above is done well.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately. What annoys me is that this is a bowl team masquerading as a 3-9 or 4-8 team. That is on coaching. We have the talent
There’s a few things that you can hang directly on coaching and failure to execute over and over again, is a coaching issue, and not a player issue. Either it’s the plays That are called or failure by the coaching staff to prepare the team. Like during the last Drive TR did not look like he had the confidence to make it happen. Again, this is on the coaches I think.

Reaction Score
The one thing that's always going to make me question Mora's commitment is that he's perpetually had one foot out the door wherever he's coached. Let's not forget he basically got fired as HC of the Falcons for (joking?) that he would quit to take the Washington HC job in a hot second, and similar expressions of sentiment accompanied his dismissal from UCLA.
He's not the same guy. He's been away from the game and is older now. Do you really think he's looking for a new job? I want him to stay and coach the young coaches.

Reaction Score
Dropped passes. We were top 10 awhile ago. After last game maybe first.

It’s the one common thread this year

I’d say missed tackles but that’s better.

Reaction Score
Yeah it's a bit frustrating. You can see flashes of what everyone thought we would be, but we keep making stupid mistakes. For now I trust Mora to still right the ship. Charlton has to go. He's showing his game plan is holding us back offensively than improving. Mora also needs a dedicated DC so he can focus on the overall product more. STC needs to get fired because we have regressed significantly. I'd rather take Diaco's don't return anything than what we got now.

Reaction Score
One thing that distinguishes high level teams is depth of talent....rotate quality players and win the latter part of the game when opponents tire.

An injured QB doesn't have to mean a loss if you have a good #2 ready to fill in.

Reaction Score
He's not the same guy. He's been away from the game and is older now. Do you really think he's looking for a new job? I want him to stay and coach the young coaches.
It's not that I think his career ambitions are the same; hardly that. It's more the mentality which looks to me more like a habitual thing-he runs away when things get difficult. For example, the whole 'I want to coach the Huskies' thing when he was in Atlanta arose right after Vick got pinched for the dogfighting incident and it became clear that his QB was in uber-hot water and looking at jail time.

His weekly pressers are full of platitudes like 'It's right around the corner', 'We're playing hard and getting better', 'The wins will come if we play like we've been playing'; all of which is suggestive of commitment to cause.

But his actions speak loudly as well and we see this with the periodic public carping about program resources which I interpret him as trying to build an escape hatch in the event he decides to cut and run-which is right on par with his prior behavior.

I'm probably wrong and that would be OK, believe me I just want the team to win. But he's sung this tune or a variety of this tune before so it gives me pause when evaluating his words.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Call out the refs in the press conferences. That will let future refs know they are being watched and will be called out.
I want to feel that this would be the case, but I think realistically the refs won't have any repercussions. Rather their home conference may privately drop accolades on them for screwing over us. Mora, AD DB, and the school seem to have no recourse to combat the repeated BS calls that take the team out of the game.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was so ready for Roberson to lead us down the field after USF took the lead. That fumble didn’t feel like real life.

Reaction Score
I want to feel that this would be the case, but I think realistically the refs won't have any repercussions. Rather their home conference may privately drop accolades on them for screwing over us. Mora, AD DB, and the school seem to have no recourse to combat the repeated BS calls that take the team out of the game.
The only thing they can do is make arrangements with other conferences for refs

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom