The Delaware view of the world ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Delaware view of the world ...

Reaction Score
Movin up to FBS. Just spitballin. Call it the A-10 Football Conference. A-12. Big Association. Big Ass. Maybe just 6-8.

FBS Conference.jpg

Reaction Score
What is this? Are you saying UConn would leave the Big East for the above and level down to play in this football conference?
No. All basketball/olympic conferences remain the same. A-10 adds a football conference for the A-10 and Big East programs which choose to play FBS.

Reaction Score
That's a horrific football conference... the majority of the non-CAA schools listed are among the worst funded programs in FCS. The Pioneer league doesn't offer scholarships (Nova is also in the CAA). Georgetown for years remained non-scholarship even while the Patriot league started allowing them (and for years has had a low budget) and the NEC for years was a limited scholarship league.

Reaction Score
Movin up to FBS. Just spitballin. Call it the A-10 Football Conference. A-12. Big Association. Big Ass. Maybe just 6-8.

View attachment 70957
Not good for an FBS conference. Some small privates that i would think have zero interest in FBS.

IF Nova and Delaware made the jump, you can maybe create a scheduling arrangement with UConn, UMass, Army, Navy.

Really UConn just needs to play more than 1 season as an independent before people label it untenable. Look at what the AAC just became. A wasteland conference. I want to see what a competent HC and staff could do. I liked Mora's responses to independent status.

Reaction Score
Not good for an FBS conference. Some small privates that i would think have zero interest in FBS.

IF Nova and Delaware made the jump, you can maybe create a scheduling arrangement with UConn, UMass, Army, Navy.

Really UConn just needs to play more than 1 season as an independent before people label it untenable. Look at what the AAC just became. A wasteland conference. I want to see what a competent HC and staff could do. I liked Mora's responses to independent status.

We have major State Universities near us. Public funding from states that hugely support education. In major SMSA's (NorthShore Long Island, Albany, southern NH, Baltimore, Wilmington) and they are not Bumpkin State in some northeast corner of Alabama or near a Texas prison. With corporations and no pro football within hours - in some cases.

So, I am not thinking Lehigh or Georgetown or whatever.

UCONN Football is hurt by the fact that we don't have too many regional rivals. I think that is part of the lessons of the AAC ... and why we cannot think about the band-aid realignments from the southern states.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I kinda remember we could lug kegs and sat. Never paid
Our keg was right on the 50 yard line, didn’t pay either.

Reaction Score
We have major State Universities near us. Public funding from states that hugely support education. In major SMSA's (NorthShore Long Island, Albany, southern NH, Baltimore, Wilmington) and they are not Bumpkin State in some northeast corner of Alabama or near a Texas prison. With corporations and no pro football within hours - in some cases.

So, I am not thinking Lehigh or Georgetown or whatever.

UCONN Football is hurt by the fact that we don't have too many regional rivals. I think that is part of the lessons of the AAC ... and why we cannot think about the band-aid realignments from the southern states.
Pulling all State U regionals could form a nice FBS conference. All conferences want all in though, so that's tough to do in the Northeast where we have many more colleges, public and private, playing at all different levels. That's why I figured programs like Georgetown, SJU and Nova would fit. If the Wakes and BCU's can support a football program, so too can these guys.

Reaction Score
Pulling all State U regionals could form a nice FBS conference. All conferences want all in though, so that's tough to do in the Northeast where we have many more colleges, public and private, playing at all different levels. That's why I figured programs like Georgetown, SJU and Nova would fit. If the Wakes and BCU's can support a football program, so too can these guys.

HOWEVER ... what we have in the Northeastern US that doesn't exist elsewhere is a variety of conferences - mostly solid schools not playing football at all. CAA + America East + A10 ... and our Big East have solid Universities playing to a high quality level in many many sports. Most start as Basketball ... and then lots of others. Plus we have that separate solid Hockey East.

When you are like UC Davis (one of the best Public Universities in the world), you simply do not have 3-5 choices.

Reaction Score
HOWEVER ... what we have in the Northeastern US that doesn't exist elsewhere is a variety of conferences - mostly solid schools not playing football at all. CAA + America East + A10 ... and our Big East have solid Universities playing to a high quality level in many many sports. Most start as Basketball ... and then lots of others. Plus we have that separate solid Hockey East.

When you are like UC Davis (one of the best Public Universities in the world), you simply do not have 3-5 choices.
Something will have to give eventually for these FBS programs. UCONN, UMass, Buffalo, Temple, Delaware, they will all need something more stable and profitable. Temple Football is 1-5 in the AAC and finished 4-10 in hoops last year. Hello.

Kansas beats Texas at Texas. What exactly does the future for Texas look like in the SEC. I think the small ponds are better than the big ponds.

Reaction Score
Why is this thread separate from the “frivolous realignment schemes” thread? I can’t tell the difference.

Reaction Score
Why is this thread separate from the “frivolous realignment schemes” thread? I can’t tell the difference.

maybe it is for the thinking man. And I know the vowels ... like age 5

Reaction Score
Did you know ... that until 1988, SUNY schools were banned from having Athletic Scholarships. They had teams and they were good - at lower levels: You had schools with the Academic weight of UCONN (Albany + Binghamton + Stony Brook + Buffalo) playing Division III. Yup Central or Western Connecticut were the highest they went. Only (in 1988) South Dakota, North Dakota & Alaska were at the same level.

Even in 2009, there was a bill from a State Senator from the Bronx that wanted to eliminate Athletics because of a budget deficit. The year after Buffalo lost to us in the International Bowl in Toronto 38-20. And ... Warde Manuel was in the middle of that fight.

When I point out that WE have regional State U near us that would be our natural competitive peers in a conference: this is it. I believe a decent group would be on TV because of our market presence in densely populated demos. Of course, the UMASS experience is how not to do this. UCONN success going forward can pull others. And Buffalo has done well. This is why UAlbany + Stony Brook are different than UNH or Maine or URI. They feel like they should play higher than what has been their history.

Reaction Score
So Albany built a stadium that seats 8.5k (expandable to 24k) and Stony Brook built a stadium that seats 10.3k and they were built with the expectations of being big boys? Neither were in the top 30 of FCS attendance in 2019 with Albany averaging 3.8k fans and Stony Brook averaging 7.3k fans. The stadiums look like they were built for mid to lower tier FCS schools.

... an interesting tidbit

Stony Brook has often had sellouts at their Stadium - named after their GOP State Senator. Both Albany + Stony Brook use their stadiums (and draw well) for their Nationally ranked Lacrosse programs.

Stony Brook actually planned for their stadium to increase over the 15,000 FBS standard; but, it was vetoed by our Governor Andrew Cuomo in 2015. Why? The reason commonly stated was because Senator Lavalle had led opposition against a bill for banning Gay Conversion therapy. Yup. I suggest they find other ways of funding than working through Albany. Or maybe Governor Hochul needs LI votes.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom