The Case for the Triple Option | The Boneyard

The Case for the Triple Option

What would be your reaction if UConn hired a triple option coach?

• Love it!

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Can’t hurt to try…

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Such a UConn move.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Are you kidding me!

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Burning all UConn football attire.

Votes: 4 8.9%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I had not seen this discussed recently on the board, although I know it has been brought up before, so feel free to remove if needed.

As we all UConn has its limitations, would the triple option work here? Would DB be brave enough to bring someone in who runs it?

The author of this article did a nice job of putting together an argument for it, and supported it nicely with facts and video.

Read the article before responding, even if you hate the idea, it’s well written.

Reaction Score
Speed option would be nice, but triple? Not interested. Coastal Carolinas OL coach as a UConn head coaching option? Ridiculous. I dislike this article, but it’s my personal opinion. The UConn Blog should be writing articles about why UConn must push hard for guys like Moorhead or Herman and support it nicely with facts and video.

Reaction Score
Animated GIF

Here we go!

Reaction Score
I would love to see UCONN adopt Coastal Carolina's version of the option. Anyone saying no to that offense hasn't spent much time watching it, It's much more pass oriented than the Paul Johnson offense the academies use. I bet the academies will start weaving Coastal Carolina's offense into their offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would love to see UCONN adopt Coastal Carolina's version of the option. Anyone saying no to that offense hasn't spent much time watching it. It's much more pass oriented than the Paul Johnson offense the academies use. I bet the academies will start weaving Coastal Carolina's offense into their offense.
They are fun to watch. Fans want to see passing and they definitely chuck it quite a bit at Coastal.

Reaction Score
For the last ten years it’s been easier to run a simple version of what everyone else does and blame the losses on the players not being good enough.
I’m in favor of innovating to your strengths. With this team, something like what CC does would help. We have a fullback (burns) for the quick hitters, speed on the outside from carter. A little of both from mensah and an Steven Krajewski who can turn it up the field but also throws well on the run. Plus the receivers are pretty talented. So, for the life of me I don’t understand why we refuse to give the oppo something to game plan for.

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
what, no more draw plays up the middle on 3rd and long. Oh the humanity

Reaction Score
That's called the two down punt.. you run a minute thirty off the clock and flip the field.

Reaction Score
We should run any gd offense that gets us more than 200 total yards against an fbs team. Triple option isn't it though.

Reaction Score
I've hung on with this team through a decade of true depravation as fans. All-time incompetence.

If we move to a freaking wingT triple option I am totally out. Its not a practical decision to try and be competitive - it is a total white flag to any future of competitive fun football.

I saw the guys at the UConnBlog are pitching this pretty hard and honestly they've lost the plot if they think that is the path forward.

Reaction Score
Someone needs to explain to me why they think this offense is boring. If we had a team as good as Army's I think we would be getting close to 30K attendance at the Rent.

People say when it doesn't work it's boring, and my response to that is any offense that isn't working is boring. The Air Raid offense when it's not working is boring. When the option offense is working it is football at its very best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom