The Carry and the Travel | The Boneyard

The Carry and the Travel

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Regarding Aubrey's diving to make a steal on the floor and pushing it to E on a break... She slid/rolled a significant distance. This call seems to have evolved recently but I have no idea how far it can go. Based on what guidance does the ref decide "that's too far"? With all the apparent emphasis on the slightest nano-shuffle of the feet, this seems to be out of 'step'. I've seen similar no calls recently in other games,

Kind of like the nearly obsolete "carry" call. Park-Lane (I think it was), right in front of the ref, had her hand almost completely under the ball on several consecutive dribbles - like she was carrying books to class. No call. I remember recently (maybe a Celtics game) that the refs guidance is 4 o'clock is ok, 5 o'clock is a carry. It used to be a carry at 3:15!! [For pedants like me, that assumes a right-handed dribble observed from the rear]

As usual, lots of ref issues in this game... I thought The Hall bench was going to have multiple strokes for the EMTs to deal with.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yeah, like the wide screens, it's all pretty arbitrary. You just don't see many carry calls these days. On the loose ball question, it's supposed to be a difference between going to the floor with the ball or going to the floor after the ball. Then again, it still cracks me up that three steps stopped being a walk when they started calling it a Euro (or is it gyro?).

Reaction Score
Regarding Aubrey's diving to make a steal on the floor and pushing it to E on a break... She slid/rolled a significant distance. This call seems to have evolved recently but I have no idea how far it can go. Based on what guidance does the ref decide "that's too far"?

This excerpt from the NCAA rules case book gives some guidance:

.Is it traveling when a player . . . gains control of the ball while sliding on the playing court and then, because of momentum, rolls or slides, after which the player passes or starts a dribble before getting to their feet?

RULING: No. The player may pass, shoot, start a dribble, or request a timeout. Once the player has the ball and is no longer sliding, they may not roll over. When flat on their back, the player may sit up without violating. When the player puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is the first to touch the ball, it also is traveling. When a player rises to their feet while holding the ball and moves the pivot foot, it is traveling.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
There are occasional travels with the euro step, but if you watch them closely, most of them are legal.

I think that many people do not know there is a difference between article 5-a and 5-b and so see the euro step as a travel.

Art. 5. a) The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
Art. 5. b) The pivot foot shall not be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble.

Reaction Score
Notice the lack of traveling calls while the ball is being inbounded after a dead ball? It's becoming like the soccer throw.

Reaction Score
I remember recently (maybe a Celtics game) that the refs guidance is 4 o'clock is ok, 5 o'clock is a carry. It used to be a carry at 3:15!!
Good description of how the game used to be called. Palming has become part of the game with some being able to spin the ball like a globe before flipping into a dribble. Not sure anything will change soon, Dawn has them concentrating on moving screens right now. ;) Another thing rampant that has not been enforced for years.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think we saw one carry call made against an opponent this year. I typically see it called only when the carry is used to move the ball significantly side to side particularly when the player is making a cut in the same direction. Sort of a 'intention to evade the defender' stipulation on what is a carry. I actually do not have a problem with that.

I was a little surprised when a walk was called on an opponent in a steal situation where she went to the ground and slid - didn't watch a replay and assume it was because she actually gained the ball while her feet were on the ground in the act of falling.

Reaction Score
Regarding Aubrey's diving to make a steal on the floor and pushing it to E on a break... She slid/rolled a significant distance. This call seems to have evolved recently but I have no idea how far it can go. Based on what guidance does the ref decide "that's too far"? With all the apparent emphasis on the slightest nano-shuffle of the feet, this seems to be out of 'step'. I've seen similar no calls recently in other games,

Kind of like the nearly obsolete "carry" call. Park-Lane (I think it was), right in front of the ref, had her hand almost completely under the ball on several consecutive dribbles - like she was carrying books to class. No call. I remember recently (maybe a Celtics game) that the refs guidance is 4 o'clock is ok, 5 o'clock is a carry. It used to be a carry at 3:15!! [For pedants like me, that assumes a right-handed dribble observed from the rear]

As usual, lots of ref issues in this game... I thought The Hall bench was going to have multiple strokes for the EMTs to deal with.

Thoughts?

The issue now is that coaches who teach the palming rule as it is written is doing nothing but putting their players at a disadvantage. I have seen players in a college game actually palm the ball so badly that they could have been called for a double dribble because the ball actually stopped before they dribbled again. Any dribbling with the hand below a handshake is supposed to be palming, or the hand being below the equator of the basketball. That rule has gone the way of teaching cursive writing in schools, and good luck debating an official on why an egregious violation wasn’t called. If you try that strategy, you’re going to finish in 2nd place in that verbal tussle. Reminds me of telling the home plate umpire that the pitch was way outside. He said NO it was a strike, and you know what, the next pitch is going to be a strike too. Learned an important lesson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom