The best players in UConn women's basketball history | The Boneyard

The best players in UConn women's basketball history

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
You know them all but it is nice reading good things about them.

Reaction Score
interesting list.
A few missing:
Elliott
Shea
Jones
Williams
Annie (vs. Barb?)
Hartley
Dolson
Tuck

And a few favs
Faris
Doty
Hayes
Houston
Thomas

It is a problem limiting any list of Uconn greats because we have so many! :)
Good followup list UcMiami, and thanks very much for sharing, SVCBeercats.

A Top 20 for the Huskies without Shea Ralph just doesn't seem right for me, even taking into consideration her injuries. She had solid stats but Shea was one for whom the stats didn't tell the story.

Reaction Score
I think Shea would make the list over at least one or two of the list. I feel the same about Gabby Williams. I have my thoughts on who would be left off my list but will refrain from putting them out there.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Paige bumped some one off already. I expect Azzi will do the same next year (or 2 years max) if healthy

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Any time you have a list, there will be debates. But really, the only one I see is Turner. Would replace her with Annie (from her class) or Shea/Jamelle. Frankly I'd put Shea and Jamelle on the list above Annie, even tho Strother had really solid college stats.

Reaction Score
What's so impressive is how this list with the players already mentioned that missed, plus maybe Azura Stevens, Kia Stokes, Megan Walker, Liv, possibly Christyn Williams etc. we could go to 35 or more and still be excluding some pretty good players. It would be interesting to see how our top 20 compares to other top programs. They might impress somewhat with a top 10 list, but wouldn't be able to go nearly as deep.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What's so impressive is how this list with the players already mentioned that missed, plus maybe Azura Stevens, Kia Stokes, Megan Walker, Liv, possibly Christyn Williams etc. we could go to 35 or more and still be excluding some pretty good players. It would be interesting to see how our top 20 compares to other top programs. They might impress somewhat with a top 10 list, but wouldn't be able to go nearly as deep.
TN is the only program that had about as long a run at the very top as Uconn - they started a decade earlier and have faded in the last decade. Stanford would be next. The other programs just haven't had the decades of success. Shining brightly for much shorter periods on the backs of a few outstanding classes.

Reaction Score
UConn has had 24 AA's in their history, so you would think that is a pre-requisite to make the Top 20.

Apparently not. (Turner and Dangerfield)

There are 6 players, three with multiple AA, who didn't make the list.
  • Ralph
  • Hartley x2
  • Dolson x2
  • Tuck
  • Williams x2
  • Walker
Interestingly there are only 7 who were only one time AA (Bascom, Ralph, Bird, Cash, Tuck, Walker, Bueckers) but two of them also won NPOY.

Put in: Hartley, Dolson and Williams
Take out: Turner, Dangerfield and Bascom

Reaction Score
Paige bumped some one off already. I expect Azzi will do the same next year (or 2 years max) if healthy
Interesting thought. Paige has to be on the list, maybe the person she bumped was Shea? Who would you pick, Paige or Shea? I would pick Paige. Although I will say including Svet (very well deserved I might add) but not Shea is a little weird. Tough to break up a tandem like that. If they didn't get injured, arguably, it was the best team in UConn history.

You can't throw rocks at me, I did say "arguably". :)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
interesting list.
A few missing:
Elliott
Shea
Jones
Williams
Annie (vs. Barb?)
Hartley
Dolson
Tuck

And a few favs
Faris
Doty
Hayes
Houston
Thomas

Agree with some of that.

But Turner instead of Dolson?????
Dangerfield instead of Hartley????

Baseline should be AA. And both Dolson and Hartley were 2X AA's.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Interesting thought. Paige has to be on the list, maybe the person she bumped was Shea? Who would you pick, Paige or Shea? I would pick Paige. Although I will say including Svet (very well deserved I might add) but not Shea is a little weird. Tough to break up a tandem like that. If they didn't get injured, arguably, it was the best team in UConn history.

You can't throw rocks at me, I did say "arguably". :)
I would pick Paige over almost the entire list (behind Diana, Stewie, Maya and maybe Sue?) Yes, she does not have a NC but NO ONE has had to play under the pressure and scrutiny with no AA teammates as she has had to. And her amazing run coming back from severe injury. That goes along way in my book.

Reaction Score
I’d say it’s about time Crystal Dangerfield gets some recognition for how great she was. She did so much that went under appreciated and I just wish she could’ve won a championship during her time at UConn.
Danger was a super player at UConn but I'm not sure how you would put her in the top 20 when there are players who won NCs and made AA teams who aren't on there (Ralph, Hartley, Dolson, Williams).

Just my two cents. Not to slight her in any way but whenever there is a list like this, someone will get left out.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
i
interesting list.
A few missing:
Elliott
Shea
Jones
Williams
Annie (vs. Barb?)
Hartley
Dolson
Tuck

And a few favs
Faris
Doty
Hayes
Houston
Thomas

i‘d put Kia Nurse in your top list and suggest Maria Conlon, Rita Williams and older generation Laura Lishness on your second, the latter 3 all from CT.

I also don’t see how Shea isn’t in the main group.

Reaction Score
Collier, the ACC Defensive Player of the Year in 2019, also ranks among the school's top 10 in rebounds (1,219) and blocks (251).
:):):):confused::confused:

Reaction Score
i

i‘d put Kia Nurse in your top list and suggest Maria Conlon, Rita Williams and older generation Laura Lishness on your second, the latter 3 all from CT.

I also don’t see how Shea isn’t in the main group.
Kia never got the credit she should have at Uconn, but showed in the WNBA she was a good player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Like I implied in my first post ... tough to limit a list to any fixed number:
Mt Rushmore list (4) - could easily argue about eight different deserving of the honor.
Top 10 ... but what about these other 7 players
Top 20 ... there are at least 30 top 20 player I could name ...

There is always someone else that is deserving of what ever list you create for Uconn. And don't get me started on those idiots who create the AA list who obviously don't understand basketball! How could they have not voted for ______!
:eek::cool::rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom