The Beatles: Get Back | The Boneyard

The Beatles: Get Back

Reaction Score
A 3-episode, nearly 8 hour documentary directed by Peter Jackson featuring in-studio audio and video that was shot in early 1969 for the 1970 film "Let It Be." So much more than that though, including a lot of raw material that became songs on Abbey Road. I thought this was an a incredible insight into the band and a must see for real Beatles fans. (Eight hours is quite an investment for the casual fan). I've watched it through twice now and will probably watch it again with my younger daughter.

A few observations; The first episode was very long and dragged on at times. It took me a few sittings to get through during the first watch. Second episode starts off similarly and then it all changes about half way into the second episode (no spoiler). Fantastic from that point to the end.

Being a George Harrison fan MUCH more the other three, this documentary confirmed to me why he is my favorite Beatle. Just an immensely talented musician and songwriter and a class human being with an extraordinary wit. He dresses like an absolute BOSS too!

I'd say Lennon has always been my LEAST favorite Beatle (based more on his personality than anything) and there were times that I found him really pretentious and obnoxious, but on several occasions he surprised me with his humor. I found myself laughing out loud many times because of some goofy one liner he threw out.

McCartney's talent was jaw dropping at times. Whether it was writing lyrics or coming up with a melody, his ability to write a song was ridiculous.

Ringo was just Ringo. Stayed out of the way but showed he was an interesting character.

The fifth Beatle; Billy Preston. Wow...

Other than the obvious cast, you had Yoko, Pattie, Maureen, and the future Linda McCartney (who I found absolutely adorable) as well as the various engineers, producers (Glyn Johns and George Martin obviously) and the film crew. All lend their own something to the doc, but the real story for me was the interaction between the band members and the resulting process of writing songs in an incredibly short period of time. Also the anticipation of the famous concert on the roof of the Apple studio.

I enjoyed it more the second time through and I'm really looking forward to watching it again with my 17 y-o (who had a Beatles themed birthday when she was 8). I'm sure I will enjoy it even more the third time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I watched it twice as well. There is so much that you can miss the first time. I enjoyed the formality of the era and the fact that one need not scream the obvious to have their point being made.

From the interactions between the band, to the birth of Get Back, to the hilarious odessey that was the Libya concert discussion, but I think the real prize here is how Jackson was able to capture with just the footage he had, the dynamics that ultimately led to their breakup. Note: they made another album but never play together in public after this. The conventional wisdom was way off.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love it. On My second time through right now, but I have gone back and listened to the flower pot conversation at least five times. I catch something new each listen. That and Paul’s “I don’t want to be the boss” conversation are brutally honest.

Paul’s defense of Yoko, and especially of John’s preference for being with her, also bucks the conventional wisdom.

Thank God for Billy Preston. And George Martin.

Ringo is my new favorite Beatle.

The rooftop concert makes me happy and sad at the same time.

Reaction Score
The big "What if.." Interesting to hear them admit how Brian Epstein's death completely eroded any structure the band had.

The flowerpot conversation was incredible.
Also interesting to hear George Harrison talk about all the songs he had at the time and how he wanted to hear them all together, not just one or two intermittently dropped between Lennon/McCartney songs. I got chills hearing the early versions of "Something" and "All Things Must Pass." Although I'll always hear "Pommy-granite" when listening to "Something" for the rest of my life!

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
They were 4 incredibly talented people (even Ringo) who simply grew beyond the confines of a pop group. The film strongly suggests this. Paul didn't want to be daddy because he saw how his bandmates reacted. John was moving into activism and his relationship with Yoko. That's nothing against Yoko but being the greatest band in the history of music takes away from both. George was simply tired of being in the shadow of John and Paul. He had long outgrown being the younger guitar player.

The had an unimaginable run that couldn't possibly continue forever. They all realized that but the idea of having decades long music careers moving between several projects had yet to be really invented. Although John is being the most detached in the film. Once Billy Preston shows up, the vibe changes completely. Almost as if everyone is now on their best behavior because company is over. The creative process speaks for itself.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
Supposedly the Billy Preston thing has something to do with them seeing him as similar to Fats Domino, who the Beatles idolized. You can't be a**holes around someone like that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm a sucker for anything Beatles, so I plunked down my $7.99 for a month just to watch this. It's a bargain.

Without getting into specifics on the actual story being told, there's enough there where I really wish they'd done one more album of just classic R&R in the vein of One After 909. They really seemed to have the most fun doing those kinds of tunes. And that would've also been a great live show.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I started it last night. Really quite interesting. I haven't gotten that far and Yoko already annoys me. Paul is amazing, the way he sort of directs people to the right result and to improve some of the songs. I haven't seen the "I don't want to be the boss" comment from Paul, but it's clear that the band relies on him to polish what they do.

Look forward to seeing more.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I started it last night. Really quite interesting. I haven't gotten that far and Yoko already annoys me. Paul is amazing, the way he sort of directs people to the right result and to improve some of the songs. I haven't seen the "I don't want to be the boss" comment from Paul, but it's clear that the band relies on him to polish what they do.

Look forward to seeing more.
I started my third viewing last night, and listened to the flower pot conversation for the seventh time.

Still so much to unpack; totally agree with @AreBee1969 that it gets even better with repeated viewings. So much nuance going on all around.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Without getting into specifics on the actual story being told, there's enough there where I really wish they'd done one more album of just classic R&R in the vein of One After 909. They really seemed to have the most fun doing those kinds of tunes. And that would've also been a great live show.
While obviously not the same thing, I trust you have, or at least have heard, John's Rock 'n' Roll album? Crazy stories around the sessions and recordings, including your fave Phil Spector, but a helluva lineup and still quite a good listen imo.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
While obviously not the same thing, I trust you have, or at least have heard, John's Rock 'n' Roll album? Crazy stories around the sessions and recordings, including your fave Phil Spector, but a helluva lineup and still quite a good listen imo.
No, not the same thing. I'm familiar with the stories of the lawsuits, Spector shooting a gun, losing the masters for awhile, etc. But that was Lennon being faithful to oldies - and not particularly "great" oldies, IMHO.

The difference to me is that One After 909 was a Lennon-McCartney original (albeit 10-11 years old at the time of the rooftop concert) and while they'd certainly done other rockers early on, the audio quality was poor and/or performances of those songs were fairly stifled due to their wearing suits and having to project an image (e.g. "I Saw Her Standing There" and arguably even "Twist and Shout"). My thought was simply that letting their hair down and completely rocking out on songs like that would've been something enjoyable.

The emotions of scenes during the playback of 909 in the mixing room were much more animated than scenes of any of the other playbacks. Preston was totally into it and even Linda wanted to dance.

Anyway, so now that I've watched the whole thing once, I suppose I'll watch it again as I've got 27 days left for my $7.99 and there's not one freaking other thing on Disney+ I'm interested in watching.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
No, not the same thing. I'm familiar with the stories of the lawsuits, Spector shooting a gun, losing the masters for awhile, etc. But that was Lennon being faithful to oldies - and not particularly "great" oldies, IMHO.

The difference to me is that One After 909 was a Lennon-McCartney original (albeit 10-11 years old at the time of the rooftop concert) and while they'd certainly done other rockers early on, the audio quality was poor and/or performances of those songs were fairly stifled due to their wearing suits and having to project an image (e.g. "I Saw Her Standing There" and arguably even "Twist and Shout"). My thought was simply that letting their hair down and completely rocking out on songs like that would've been something enjoyable.

The emotions of scenes during the playback of 909 in the mixing room were much more animated than scenes of any of the other playbacks. Preston was totally into it and even Linda wanted to dance.

Anyway, so now that I've watched the whole thing once, I suppose I'll watch it again as I've got 27 days left for my $7.99 and there's not one freaking other thing on Disney+ I'm interested in watching.

Keep.watching, they cover the suits and the R&R era.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Nothing to watch on Disney+? I find lots, but everyone is different.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Oh, I thought you meant oldies, which is what "One After 909" was modeled after. Paul and John obviously weren't writing anything close to that at that point; George's "Old Brown Shoe" and "For You Blue" probably come closest. We don't see that level of joy in those tracks because John and Paul are not singing them. I do love their trade offs in "I've Got a Feeling" though.

Anywho, I loved John's cover of "Stand By Me" on that album. Still do.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Oh, I thought you meant oldies, which is what "One After 909" was modeled after. Paul and John obviously weren't writing anything close to that at that point; George's "Old Brown Shoe" and "For You Blue" probably come closest. We don't see that level of joy in those tracks because John and Paul are not singing them. I do love their trade offs in "I've Got a Feeling" though.

Anywho, I loved John's cover of "Stand By Me" on that album. Still do.
Well, I did mean oldies, just having a hard time describe exactly what. Faster tempo than Stand By Me though. 50s stuff isn't my forte, but I think what I liked about 909 was the country-ish sound of it, kinda Texas hillbilly rock stuff.

I dunno. Maybe just wishful nostalgia as I got tired of the Macca piano epics and Lennon's inscrutable lyrics. They could still rock 60s style stuff when they wanted to: Back in the USSR for example. Anyway, watching this made me miss that.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nothing to watch on Disney+? I find lots, but everyone is different.
Gimme something an adult would find enjoyable that's not comics or Star Wars related. I'm game.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well, I did mean oldies, just having a hard time describe exactly what. Faster tempo than Stand By Me though. 50s stuff isn't my forte, but I think what I liked about 909 was the country-ish sound of it, kinda Texas hillbilly rock stuff.

I dunno. Maybe just wishful nostalgia as I got tired of the Macca piano epics and Lennon's inscrutable lyrics. They could still rock 60s style stuff when they wanted to: Back in the USSR for example. Anyway, watching this made me miss that.
Watching it makes me wistful about a lot of things.

I get what you’re talking about; “Back in the USSR” definitely echos back, obviously with a tongue-in-check Beach Boys parody.

The jam in ”The End” on Abbey Road rocks as hard as anything they ever did, but also in a different way.

I think their versatility, both musically and instrumentally, would surprise a lot of people.

And let’s not even discuss that they were what, 26-27 years old?

If there was ever going to be another comparable phenomenon, they would literally have to come from another planet.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Gimme something an adult would find enjoyable that's not comics or Star Wars related. I'm game.

Some may surprise you but here it goes. Cruella. Soul. Hidden Figures. Finest Hours. Jungle Cruise is decent too.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Watching it makes me wistful about a lot of things.

I get what you’re talking about; “Back in the USSR” definitely echos back, obviously with a tongue-in-check Beach Boys parody.

The jam in ”The End” on Abbey Road rocks as hard as anything they ever did, but also in a different way.

I think their versatility, both musically and instrumentally, would surprise a lot of people.

And let’s not even discuss that they were what, 26-27 years old?

If there was ever going to be another comparable phenomenon, they would literally have to come from another planet.

The opening scenes as they travel and you see the crowds at airports highlights just how unique they were as a phenomenon. That just doesn’t occur. For anybody else.

One of the reasons I so enjoy Yesterday (aside from the fact that it just gives me the feels) is that there is, for the first time in our time, a phenomenon like the Beatles…and it’s a guy playing the Beatles‘ songs. There’s a message of sorts in that. Side note: when he breaks out Back in the USSR for the first time, in Moscow, which the Beatles couldn’t have done. Just brilliant.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

Hamilton, but your point is a good one. Disney isn't producing that sort of content fast enough, then again it's Disney. There are a bunch of behind the scenes features that are pretty interesting, most of content is Disney, Marvel, Star Wars, and Pixar titles.

Reaction Score
I've been slowly watching this over the last week. Wow, what a gift this documentary is. I just got up to Billy Preston and the look on his face as he's playing these songs is priceless. As Lennon said, he really added a jolt to their recording sessions.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've been slowly watching this over the last week. Wow, what a gift this documentary is. I just got up to Billy Preston and the look on his face as he's playing these songs is priceless. As Lennon said, he really added a jolt to their recording sessions.
Go back and take a look at Paul's face the first time Billy hits the keys. He instantly recognizes that it's better, and as you've probably observed, he's not the easiest guy to please.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom