The Auburn win is looking REALLY good now | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Auburn win is looking REALLY good now

Reaction Score
We won 1 tough game. Yeah, some of the other wins are pretty good but ifnwe get swept by Nova and X, we are 10-8 with not bad losses. Not a place I'd like to be. Lose tonight or gasp, PC again and suddenly the season gets real short.

Which was the entire point of this thread. Stop looking at game we could have won or even games we have one and start beating other elite teams in the BE. And by elite I'm not even talking about protected NCAA 1 or 2 seeds. The BE champ is likely a 3 and everyone else will be 5-9.or lower.

This still isnt the old Big East, Nova excepted, it still the former C7 also rans benefiting from the lack of national level in-confernce competition. We need to dominate more than we have.

Hurley will earn his money by papering over the obvious flaws we have. Getting late baskets is at the top of the list.
We have no bad losses, so please presume we will lose to bad teams, Subba at his finest.

Current Lunardi bracket has 7 teams in, no conference has more, but the BE is a mid major, you are right

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I mean, seriously, unless someone gets hurt, we're making the tournament. How pessimistic would you have to be to believe otherwise?

Not pessimistic.
Where do you get your wins from? Break it down for me. Every person on here is rooting for UConn to be in the tournament. But if you want to apply realism to what we've seen to this point against the rest of our schedule going forward, we are a bubble team. We shouldn't be a bubble team. I'm sure many of you want me to shut the frick up. Id love to. Best way to do that? Win some games. Win a game against a top BE team. Close a game against an opponent as good as we are. We didn't do it last year (*see how Creighton and Nova ate our lunches) and we haven't done it this year. (see how Providence and Hall beat us, WVU isnt in as good as us, we couldn't pull that either) . Until they prove me wrong, I'm right. Excuses are over. We are who we are based on results, not "close losses to good teams" .

Auburn is not enough.

August_West

Reaction Score
We have no bad losses, so please presume we will lose to bad teams, Subba at his finest.

Current Lunardi bracket has 7 teams in, no conference has more, but the BE is a mid major, you are right

I will put 100 dollars that 7 BigEast teams dont make tourney this year. You want to book it?

August_West

Reaction Score
Auburn is about to be ranked #1 with their only loss being to us. I love it.

I do too.

Lets set it up like 2014 where we give them (Florida) their only losses at the beginning and end of year

Last edited:

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Not pessimistic.
Where do you get your wins from? Break it down for me. Every person on here is rooting for UConn to be in the tournament. But if you want to apply realism to what we've seen to this point against the rest of our schedule going forward, we are a bubble team. We shouldn't be a bubble team. I'm sure many of you want me to shut the frick up. Id love to. Best way to do that? Win some games. Win a game against a top BE team. Close a game against an opponent as good as we are. We didn't do it last year (*see how Creighton and Nova ate our lunches) and we haven't done it this year. (see how Providence and Hall beat us, WVU isnt in as good as us, we couldn't pull that either) . Until they prove me wrong, I'm right. Excuses are over. We are who we are based on results, not "close losses to good teams" .

Auburn is not enough.
We will beat St. John’s and Marquette at home. We will sweep Butler, Georgetown, and DePaul. That is 18 right there. We will win the 7/10 game in the BET if we lose every other game. 19-14 will get us in.

Reaction Score
Not pessimistic.

Auburn is not enough.
My optimism for UConn basketball is about as cautious as it gets, and even I think it's ridiculous to say this team has anywhere near a 50% chance of missing the tourney. You are obviously but trivially correct to say that we need to win more games to get an at-large bid. I, and I assume all of the others, are simply saying we are confident that said wins will happen.

August_West

Reaction Score
We will beat St. John’s and Marquette at home. We will sweep Butler, Georgetown, and DePaul. That is 18 right there. We will win the 7/10 game in the BET if we lose every other game. 19-14 will get us in.
What a stellar season prediction iin Hurleys 4th year loaded with 4 and 5 year players. Im glad we are striving for excellence. And by the way, you are really rolling the dice with that prediction.

August_West

Reaction Score
My optimism for UConn basketball is about as cautious as it gets, and even I think it's ridiculous to say this team has anywhere near a 50% chance of missing the tourney. You are obviously but trivially correct to say that we need to win more games to get an at-large bid. I, and I assume all of the others, are simply saying we are confident that said wins will happen.
Im not saying we lose out obviously. Im saying if we win some gimmes (but even then there aren't many gimmes in conference) we need to win some games we have yet to this point been able to win.

Reaction Score
Im not saying we lose out obviously. Im saying if we win some gimmes (but even then there aren't many gimmes in conference) we need to win some games we have yet to this point been able to win.
I didn't mean to imply you were predicting we lose out. I understand you to be saying that we need a sufficient number of sufficiently high-quality wins to make the field. It is that sentiment that I am calling obviously but trivially true (because it is always true for every team, every season). Based on our performance so far, I think those wins will happen. We probably won't sweep the games against the bottom half of the league, and we will probably go sub-.500 against the top half of the league, but the wins we do get will likely be enough to get us in.

August_West

Reaction Score
Based on our performance so far, I think those wins will happen. We probably won't sweep the games against the bottom half of the league, and we will probably go sub-.500 against the top half of the league, but the wins we do get will likely be enough to get us in.

I don't disagree with that, you are in essence saying what I am : we are a bubble team - the sad thing is I would consider that a disappointing season. We should be stepping up. Not lateral, and certainly not down.

Reaction Score
I agree we need to start winning games now. We are really 1 strong guard away from being a very dangerous team to play, if only Gaffney can play strong and confident that will change quite a bit on how teams play us on defense. From now until the end of the BE season nothing is a gimmie.

Reaction Score
What a stellar season prediction iin Hurleys 4th year loaded with 4 and 5 year players. Im glad we are striving for excellence. And by the way, you are really rolling the dice with that prediction.
But that's the point, he went about as conservative as possible with that prediction and we're still easily in the tournament. The likely result is well above that

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with that, you are in essence saying what I am : we are a bubble team - the sad thing is I would consider that a disappointing season. We should be stepping up. Not lateral, and certainly not down.
We may agree on the basic facts, but we are not coming to the same conclusion at all. I am saying that I am confident we are not a bubble team. If the season ended today, we'd have top-25 computer numbers, a great win, a couple decent wins, and our losses are (to the extent that they exist) exclusively "good losses." So we are definitely not a bubble team now.

At the end of the season, we will likely have a few more decent wins, one or two more great wins, and hopefully one or fewer "bad" losses. If that happens, no bubble. You seem to be saying that if the season continues on as it has gone so far, the team will be on the bubble, and with that I wholeheartedly disagree. If this squad ends up on the bubble, it will be due to a significant downturn in performance.

Reaction Score
Not pessimistic.

Auburn is not enough.
We won 1 game against an at large tournament team last year and got a 7 seed, so I’m really not sure what you‘re carrying on about.

Reaction Score
I will put 100 dollars that 7 BigEast teams dont make tourney this year. You want to book it?
I don't think Marquette makes it, who he has in, but I do think 6 make it. If you want to do 6 sure.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
But that's the point, he went about as conservative as possible with that prediction and we're still easily in the tournament. The likely result is well above that
That is a conservative estimate. More realistic is we also split with Xavier, beat Seton Hall at home, and either beat Creighton at home, or St. John’s on the road. We would be 21-10 at that point.

Nova is probably going to sweep us and good chance Providence beats us at their place. Creighton is the squirrelly team. We could sweep them or they could sweep us. They remind me of our travails with SMU.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Not pessimistic.

Auburn is not enough.
Here is a conservative take.

10 - 4 right now.

Sweep Gtown, Butler, SJU, DePaul, Marquette 20-4

split with Creighton 21-5

Win at PC. 22-5

lose Seton Hall 22-6

get 1 of 4 against X and Villanova 23-9

That would be 13-7 in conference. Assume that gets us a bye. Get to the semis and we are 24-10. We’re in the tournament.

August_West

Reaction Score

10 - 4 right now.

Win at PC. 22-5

lose Seton Hall 22-6

That would be 13-7 in conference. Assume that gets us a bye. Get to the semis and we are 24-10. We’re in the tournament.
Id be tickled with that result.

Reaction Score

10 - 4 right now.

Win at PC. 22-5

lose Seton Hall 22-6

We are not losing to SH at home.

Think we have one strange loss in this group: Butler, SJU, DePaul, Marquette - where the usual here say we won't make the NIT, we will finish sub .500 and our coach should be fired.

Think we split X and Nova going 2-2 in the four.

Would put us finishing 2nd or 3rd in the league.

Reaction Score
Marquette is 44 NET and VCU 53. Those are both solid wins. There will be plenty of opportunities for more good Q1/Q2 wins the rest of the way. It’s still early.
Also, VCU is now top 50 NET so our neutral court win is another Quad 1 for now. So far 3 Q1 wins on the resume.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Just about every mock has Jabari Smith as the #1 pick now. Really impressive prospect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom