The AAC is expected to receive an application from FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The AAC is expected to receive an application from FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week…

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The article in the Courant today or yesterday about the BE looking at expansion made me wonder if Temple would be a consideration. I know they could stay and get all the money and likely will. However, if they value their bball program at all, and the BE shows any interest, I'd drop the AAC and move my FB team to independence. 'Nova might have a problem with Temple joining but the suggestion of adding Gonzaga, as was said in the article, is a little ludicrous.

Temple is going to spend so much money sending their teams to the far reaches of the Southeast and Southwest. That $7mil a year will be spent more on travel than anything else.

Thank God we got out.
Forget about Nova having, UCONN should have a problem adding Temple. The bring nothing to the Big East. Its Gonzaga or bust.

Reaction Score
I think Dayton and Wichita St. could be options. Both have big fan bases.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 2.03.39 PM.png
Statement from Remaining CUSA teams

Reaction Score
It's interesting they didn't try and get a school or two from the Sun Belt. Coastal Carolina would have been a better get than North Texas. Maybe they said no? If that's the case, that means the AAC has slipped behind the MW and Sun Belt? Lol
The Sun Belt contract pays $500,000 the same as A10 BB per team . I suspect they didn’t want anyone from the Sun Belt.
or the Sun Belt teams don’t care about money.
Which is more likely to be true ?

Reaction Score
AAC adds 1-5 UNT , 2-4 Rice

Sun adds 1-6 SoMiss , 1-6 ODU

4 of those 5 wins are FCS
And the one FBS is over SoMiss

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Lipstick…

-> The new schools also offer the current crew of football schools – Temple, Memphis, Tulane, USF, East Carolina, Navy, Tulsa and SMU – an entree into some of the richest recruiting areas in the country – Houston, San Antonio, greater Dallas, Ft. Lauderdale, Charlotte and Birmingham. <-

-> There are still some final details to work out. There is expected to be a significant boost in television money for the six schools, but they are not expected to get the same share of the TV revenue that the established eight schools currently get.

Conference USA schools currently receive less than a million dollars annually in television revenue. The amount they will receive is still being finalized, but the television revenue will be more than $2 million at the start of the deal and rise significantly from there. Incumbent AAC members are still expected to average about $7 million annually over the course of the current ESPN television deal, which runs through 2031-32. <-

Not that I care directly, but the increase in revenue is somewhat offset by the increase in production costs by having to do all the stuff for the streaming and ESPN+, correct? Not saying it's a dollar for dollar offset but there will be some increased costs, right?

Reaction Score
Not that I care directly, but the increase in revenue is somewhat offset by the increase in production costs by having to do all the stuff for the streaming and ESPN+, correct? Not saying it's a dollar for dollar offset but there will be some increased costs, right?
It's somewhat offset, but I think those costs are vastly overstated on the BY. NFL games cost just north of 100k to produce, so a college game probably is 2/3 of that (local operators, many fewer cameras, etc.) Basketball production is probably much less, on ESPN+ those are often a single camera. So assuming you have 2 football games and 6 basketball games on ESPN+ the school's cost is likely ~3-400k a year. I'm sure the school has some flexibility for non-revenue sports. Now the ironic part ofc is that the worse you are the more games end up on that network so there is certainly incentive to win and grow your brand.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
It's somewhat offset, but I think those costs are vastly overstated on the BY. NFL games cost just north of 100k to produce, so a college game probably is 2/3 of that (local operators, many fewer cameras, etc.) Basketball production is probably much less, on ESPN+ those are often a single camera. So assuming you have 2 football games and 6 basketball games on ESPN+ the school's cost is likely ~3-400k a year. I'm sure the school has some flexibility for non-revenue sports. Now the ironic part ofc is that the worse you are the more games end up on that network so there is certainly incentive to win and grow your brand.
I think the BY estimate came from someone who works for ESPN so it may be more accurate than you think. I’m not sure that your number is correct for NFL games, but assuming that it is keep in mind that there are some economies of scale at work. If you are broadcasting every NFL game, The chances are you can do any one of them more efficiently then as someone who is just doing a few a year. Also keep in mind that the infrastructure necessary to broadcast will need to be put the new schools. that’s a one time cost, but not an insignificant one.

Also keep in mind that our circumstances were different than the teams that are joining the American. We have a ready market for our games. Women’s basketball has a contract with ESPN and even our hapless football program was able to get a deal with CBSSN. for us “relegation“ to ESPN plus meant a dramatic decrease in exposure. That is likely not the case for the schools joining the American.

The American’s geography means that the joining schools our likely going to have a significant increase in their travel budget. Susan Herbst estimated the savings we would have in travel costs by joining the Big East to be $2 million a year. it also takes a considerable toll on coaches and student athletes a cost that’s difficult to quantify, but it is still real.

For Connecticut fans anyway, the slate of teams were playing in the American was utterly unappealing and cost us in attendance and that is is money lost.

Finally, Connecticut had an option to join another conference at fairly close to the same amount of money we would earn in the American contract. The difference between “almost $7 million” and a little over $4 million is negligible net of the items we discussed above. For us, it was the right decision to leave. For CUSA schools it may be the right decision to join, but I suspect the financial boost will be less than they believe; certainly it will be significantly less then “almost $7 million.“

Last edited:
Reaction Score
See i disagree. Temple hoops has cache. Nova would never go for it, so it is moot but Temple is quality eastern name with history.
Meh.
Last final 4: 1958
Last E8: 2001
Last 2nd round: 2013

Not nothing, but ...

Reaction Score
See i disagree. Temple hoops has cache. Nova would never go for it, so it is moot but Temple is quality eastern name with history.
It’s not a stand alone add, but I’d take them in a expansion scenario driven by Kansas joining. Kansas makes expansion worthwhile. Temple on its own does not.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Think about how close we were to picking up Kansas and a handful of other big 12 teams when Texas was threatening to leave and ESPN gave them the Longhorn network to stabilize that conference. You have to wonder if that stabilizes the old Big East sufficiently that the Catholic 7 do not leave. We would almost certainly be in a decidedly better place.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
100k to produce an NFL game?! You are off by an order of magnitude…I’ve seen anywhere from 1-4m per. These are huge events and they are not cheap.

Reaction Score
There might be an additional start up
But costs per game will be minimal.
ImHa
Time to call this g5 salad bowl the “Conference American”

Temple and Navy will give this a try- but could see both exiting in 3 to 5 years. Some of this depends on how the big boys decide to approach OOC scheduling and the expanded playoff.

Recruiting against Temple for football just got easier- provided we make the right hire and get back to some on field competence.
Navy helped picked the teams why would they be upset?
Doubtful WSU , Temple Memphis had much input.

Reaction Score
There might be an additional start up
But costs per game will be minimal.
ImHa

Navy helped picked the teams why would they be upset?
Doubtful WSU , Temple Memphis had much input.
UConn helped pick Tulane and Tulsa. Why would UConn be upset?

In both cases it is desperation.

Reaction Score
UConn helped pick Tulane and Tulsa. Why would UConn be upset?

In both cases it is desperation.
If I remember correctly it was adding Tulane that caused the C7 to bolt.
So your saying UConn is responsible for the Big East split , Tulane does sound like someone Herbst would approve. She was good academically but clueless when it came to sports .

Reaction Score
Zissou, your timeline is off.. Tulane received an all-sports invite added when ECU was invited for football only. This happened before the December meeting where the C7 discussed bailing. (Tulsa invitation & ECU's upgrade to full-sports only happened after the split and after the western-wing plan failed)

Tulsa had never been considered invited prior to the split. In fact Tulane had been the only "RPI-killer" added at that point in basketball (although neither UCF nor SMU were looked at favorably, with Temple, Houston and Memphis being "fine").

C7 was simply tired of being along for the ride with football driven conference instability.

Reaction Score
Zissou, your timeline is off.. Tulane received an all-sports invite added when ECU was invited for football only. This happened before the December meeting where the C7 discussed bailing. (Tulsa invitation & ECU's upgrade to full-sports only happened after the split and after the western-wing plan failed)

Tulsa had never been considered invited prior to the split. In fact Tulane had been the only "RPI-killer" added at that point in basketball (although neither UCF nor SMU were looked at favorably, with Temple, Houston and Memphis being "fine").

C7 was simply tired of being along for the ride with football driven conference instability.
That’s my recollection also
However I believe the C7 had a Fox deal in their pocket long before Tulane.They’re not that stupid.
The big question is . Was UConn invited to the coup which really was a plan to destroy the conference and take the loot.
If not it was A10 or MAC for us
We still had a viable FSB program at that time so I suspect not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom