The AAC is expected to receive an application from FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The AAC is expected to receive an application from FAU, Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Rice and UAB this week…

Reaction Score
All of the Texas additions were probably made to appease SMU and Tulsa, I would expect them to stay in the AAC.
Doubtful that, that would appease them. If you're in the more valuable conference and more attractive conference of your nearby competition, you generally don't want to elevate them to your level and compete for more eyeballs.

The only thing that would appease SMU would be an add that benefits them in some-way. For SMU to be happy those schools have to make SMU more money or save them a significant amount of money, improving their operating budget.

To put it another way: If you've worked mowing lawns all summer to buy yourself a new bike does seeing your little sister get gifted the same bike appease you?

Reaction Score
Time to call this g5 salad bowl the “Conference American”

Temple and Navy will give this a try- but could see both exiting in 3 to 5 years. Some of this depends on how the big boys decide to approach OOC scheduling and the expanded playoff.

Recruiting against Temple for football just got easier- provided we make the right hire and get back to some on field competence.
That's exactly how I see it.

Temple for sure and possibly take the Navy route: make a good chunk of cash for 3-5 years with tournament credits from teams that left, plus exit fees from leaving teams, plus buy in fees from new teams, plus lower TV shares for new teams and they will actually be sitting OK $ wise for about that amount of time.

During that period the basketball will crumble pretty badly (it's now a 1 bid league) and football I imagine limps along but unlikely as well as they have done under Rhule and Collins now with a weakened AAC.

Then the money dries up and the AD is looking at two revenue programs with low interest while paying a lot to play at the Linc (an on campus stadium ain't happening).

UConn gave it about 6 years so may it takes Temple 5-7 years instead of 3-5 but I don't think they'll last long term.

The basketball program has only made the NCAA Tournament twice in 8 years in the AAC. They will be lucky to make it that frequently in AAC 2.0.

And as you note for football, while these new teams tap into big recruiting areas, they are playing programs with little brand value. I agree it gives UConn a leg up to go and play a schedule full of P5 opponents and local rivalries over FAU, UTSA, and Rice.

Reaction Score
The uneven distribution being reported might keep the originals there longer, unless they're going to the Big XII they don't have an option to make more. Apparently the new arrivals are going to take a bit over $2M each to keep the existing schools at their current level.

It's a terrible idea to promote long-term stability.. but hey ECU might someday win something other than a baseball game in that conference.

Reaction Score
Doubtful that, that would appease them. If you're in the more valuable conference and more attractive conference of your nearby competition, you generally don't want to elevate them to your level and compete for more eyeballs.

The only thing that would appease SMU would be an add that benefits them in some-way. For SMU to be happy those schools have to make SMU more money or save them a significant amount of money, improving their operating budget.

To put it another way: If you've worked mowing lawns all summer to buy yourself a new bike does seeing your little sister get gifted the same bike appease you?
I think the big benefit for SMU is less travel which translates into lower costs. If they have 2 football divisions, which is likely, almost all of the western schools are a bus ride away, especially for the non-revenue sports. In the MWC, SMU would incur substantial travel costs.

Reaction Score
It’s almost like there is no way out. We got pretty lucky. Football is historically bad but at least we control our own fate now.
Only because the Big East BB is vastly overpaid versus other BB only situations. We’re not 10x better than anyone . No one is. .
My gut feeling is that amount was shaky in a new deal until Fox had them add us.
If you think the C7 loves UConn your naive. It’s all about value .
They hated competing against a flagship public. We have a legit market and bring $$$ especially when you include women.

Reaction Score
Only because the Big East BB is vastly overpaid versus other BB only situations. We’re not 10x better than anyone . No one is. .
My gut feeling is that amount was shaky in a new deal until Fox had them add us.
If you think the C7 loves UConn your naive. It’s all about value .
They hated competing against a flagship public. We have a legit market and bring $$$ especially when you include women.

Did I say that they love us? Did I even mention the C7?

Sounds like you are putting words in my mouth.

Temple doesn’t have the same kind of opportunity to backstop them. They don’t have two National Championship caliber hoop teams to trade on. I doubt they could get a deal with CBS Sports.

If you can’t agree with that then I have nothing for you. Maybe less than that.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Lol

Attachments

• 78626D99-25DF-4EEE-89DE-29717FBF7BBE.png
    78626D99-25DF-4EEE-89DE-29717FBF7BBE.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 74
  • AB4BA50D-82F6-40BA-B592-9A7E6EE14823.png
    AB4BA50D-82F6-40BA-B592-9A7E6EE14823.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 81
Reaction Score
Gotta say our move the the Big East and indy in FB looks light years better now than it did even at the time.

What a watered down bouillabaisse of crap.

How Temple, Memphis, and even USF will want to stick around in this dung heap is beyond me.

FCOnXUVVQAsYbF3.jpg

Reaction Score
The expectation remains among the remaining eight American schools that they will remain essentially whole in their television deal, which averages $7 million per school over the life of the deal.

The language on that is already softening yesterday's report.. now it's "essentially whole". I suspect the next piece will be to omit the television deal portion... indicating they may be essentially whole, but it'll be because of the TV money + exit fees + entrance fees and the uneven split with the new arrivals.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The language on that is already softening yesterday's report.. now it's "essentially whole". I suspect the next piece will be to omit the television deal portion... indicating they may be essentially whole, but it'll be because of the TV money + exit fees + entrance fees and the uneven split with the new arrivals.
Plus they bear all the production costs, and they have to develop 1 drama and 1 big-budget, sprawling sci-fi series for Disney+. But they're 'essentially whole'.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The article in the Courant today or yesterday about the BE looking at expansion made me wonder if Temple would be a consideration. I know they could stay and get all the money and likely will. However, if they value their bball program at all, and the BE shows any interest, I'd drop the AAC and move my FB team to independence. 'Nova might have a problem with Temple joining but the suggestion of adding Gonzaga, as was said in the article, is a little ludicrous.

Temple is going to spend so much money sending their teams to the far reaches of the Southeast and Southwest. That $7mil a year will be spent more on travel than anything else.

Thank God we got out.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's interesting they didn't try and get a school or two from the Sun Belt. Coastal Carolina would have been a better get than North Texas. Maybe they said no? If that's the case, that means the AAC has slipped behind the MW and Sun Belt? Lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom