That 'scrimmage' coming up? | The Boneyard

That 'scrimmage' coming up?

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We haven't had word when or who...have we?

OT: on the guy-side somebody in the know says their scrimmage is against Harvard on October 23.
Wonder if any of The Horde knows and is waiting for an OK to publish it from Somebody Important?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Evidently, NCAA rules require that UConn not discuss who, where & when about scrimmages until after the fact. So there will be no pregame coverage, live tv coverage or postgame stats.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Evidently, NCAA rules require that UConn not discuss who, where & when about scrimmages until after the fact. So there will be no pregame coverage, live tv coverage or postgame stats.
That's the way I understand it. So, I guess "Mums" the word. :cool:

Reaction Score
All Geno was allowed to tell us was the scrimmage will happen before the exhibition game. He almost told us the date but smartly stopped himself and asked someone off camera what he was allowed to say.

Reaction Score
I'll be happy if I can watch it on YouTube a day or so afterwards.
Same thing with Ft. Hays State.
It's not like Geno is waiting for my input before penciling in the regular season starters.
Now, the Arkansas game on 11/14 I MUST see in real time....

Reaction Score
It's not like Geno is waiting for my input before penciling in the regular season starters.
You won’t be able to catch it on YouTube. It’s closed door and the video won’t be put out to the public (I’m pretty sure)

Reaction Score
If you figure out where the scrimmage is taking place, you can go watch it. You go out and get a white hard hat, a safety vest, and a tool box, then you walk around like you own the place. No one will bother you.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I wonder why these secrecy rules exist in the first place.
This rule has been in place since 2005, not that it makes any sense. A few years ago Mike Decoursy from the Sporting News wrote a lengthy critique of the “scrimmage secrecy rules” pointing out that there was no logical justification for this rule.

In order to change the rule, one or more D1 member institutions would have to petition the NCAA to change it. Thus far, no school seems to care that much.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It's NOT for public consumption. The people allowed in the GYM/arena is limited to players, coaches, and people needed to run the scrimmage, no one else. No spectators, media (any one with a camera or video recording equipment) Just roll with the punches on this. We'll be able to watch the Fort Hays State exhibition in mere 23 days. We've waited 7 months (all spring and summer) for "live action." We can wait a few more days. Think about it.........we would not have known anything about this "secret" scrimmage if Geno had not mentioned it. It's a rule that he knows about, and is expected to obey. If he violated it by disclosing details prior to, who would it serve? Certainly not him or the team. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This rule has been in place since 2005, not that it makes any sense. A few years ago Mike Decoursy from the Sporting News wrote a lengthy critique of the “scrimmage secrecy rules” pointing out that there was no logical justification for this rule.

In order to change the rule, one or more D1 member institutions would have to petition the NCAA to change it. Thus far, no school seems to care that much.

No one has petitioned the NCAA because most coaches prefer it this way. The purpose of a scrimmage is to work on a lot of stuff with no pressure to win or impress anyone. That's a lot easier to do when there are no reporters and no official stats.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Why not email the NCAA offices and ask?
Yeah. Before the NCAA dissolves into the nothingness it deserves, which is where it's headed.

Carnac

Reaction Score
No one has petitioned the NCAA because most coaches prefer it this way. The purpose of a scrimmage is to work on a lot of stuff with no pressure to win or impress anyone. That's a lot easier to do when there are no reporters and no official stats.
My underst is they don’t keep score on the scoreboard for the same reasons.

Reaction Score
It’s a scrimmage. Coaches stop the games when they want. Scores aren’t displayed. Veal parmigian is served on the bench. They stop when the feel like it. Who cares if they don’t announce who and when. And people are wondering about TV coverage?. My god. This makes the “how many minutes will Gladys get” threads seem almost sane.

Reaction Score
It’s a scrimmage. Coaches stop the games when they want. Scores aren’t displayed. Veal parmigian is served on the bench. They stop when the feel like it. Who cares if they don’t announce who and when. And people are wondering about TV coverage?. My god. This makes the “how many minutes will Gladys get” threads seem almost sane.
Have we ever had a Gladys on a wbb roster? Asking for a friend.

Reaction Score
I wonder why these secrecy rules exist in the first place.
To give people a reason to get their underwear in a twist. And people fall for it and twist away.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gladys Kravitz,
Shocking
3531CCB9-C526-433A-AC13-357AC7F0B4F0.jpeg

Reaction Score
AMEN.

Reaction Score
Curios, if you know the Veal Parmigian is served on a hard/sub roll or served with Spaghetti as a side? :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom