Texas Tech Women's players will each receive a $25,000 NIL deal | The Boneyard

Texas Tech Women's players will each receive a $25,000 NIL deal

Reaction Score
Didn't see this anywhere here but seems sort of a big deal as each player is getting $25,000. Seems pretty much pay for play but it is equitable across the team (at least everyone is getting the $25K). I haven't closely followed the NIL stuff, the chips are going to fall where they will without me wasting my time digging into it but this caught my attention as a WBB fan.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It would take a lot more than $25,000 a year for me to sign up to play in Lubbock. No offense to any Lubbock residents or Texas Tech students or alum's

Reaction Score
It would take a lot more than $25,000 a year for me to sign up to play in Lubbock. No offense to any Lubbock residents or Texas Tech students or alum's
I live in texas , Dallas to be exact and not one time have a i ever desired to go West and see the dust storms and cornfields of Lubbock lol its literally a town . Hard to transition from city life to crops and diners lol

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anyone have more details? Is it a lump sum at graduation? per year?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
This will be Krista's third year at Texas Tech; she lost her best player in Vivian Gray, and a few more outgoing transfers. I don't believe she'll find a way to get an NCAA tournament invite. So, this new NIL could be great for Krista's successor (and an enticing perk to accepting the job) if she gets the boot next March.

Reaction Score
This will be Krista's third year at Texas Tech; she lost her best player in Vivian Gray, and a few more outgoing transfers. I don't believe she'll find a way to get an NCAA tournament invite. So, this new NIL could be great for Krista's successor (and an enticing perk to accepting the job) if she gets the boot next March.
You think Texas Tech will go in a different direction on a coach so soon? I mean some programs have coaches entering their 30th year of coaching with medium coaching records and programs barely or never reaching the NIT or NCAA tournaments.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
You think Texas Tech will go in a different direction on a coach so soon? I mean some programs have coaches entering their 30th year of coaching with medium coaching records and programs barely or never reaching the NIT or NCAA tournaments.
Each school has different barometers of success for each sports program; and, I'm sure that changes as the athletic director changes. Texas Tech won a national title in 1993 and was a fixture in the NCAA tourney the 10-12 years after that.

Since Marsh Sharp retired 16 years ago, Texas Tech has had Kristy Curry, Candy Whitaker, and Marlene Stallings prior to Gerlich in charge. Only Curry made it to the NCAA tourney (twice), but could not win a game. That means Tech has not won an NCAA tourney game in 17 seasons.

Gerlich's first two seasons at Tech culminated with 10-15 and 11-18 records; and, that was with Vivian Gray on the court. With the talent remaining, I for sure don't see them as an NCAA tourney team. Can she show improvement and win more than 11 games; I wouldn't bet on it. If you're not winning, you have to win some recruiting battles and show your A.D. that you have incoming talent in the pipeline for the immediate future; maybe this NIL incentive will help; but, there's just over 3 months left before the November signing period for the class of 2023.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I live in texas , Dallas to be exact and not one time have a i ever desired to go West and see the dust storms and cornfields of Lubbock lol its literally a town . Hard to transition from city life to crops and diners lol
I have family in the Austin area and returning to AZ we detoured to Lubbock one year. I actually kind of liked it, but we had to cut our visit short (basically overnight and a drive-around, didn't even get by the school) because of incoming inclement weather.

If my wife is ever able to travel again (health issues, depression and immunosuppression regarding Covid) they I think we would try once more to swing by. As I say, it seemed interesting.

As a reminder - there are many places, including Dallas (that I visited fairly often for work), where it is great to visit but I wouldn't necessarily want to live there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Didn't see this anywhere here but seems sort of a big deal as each player is getting $25,000. Seems pretty much pay for play but it is equitable across the team (at least everyone is getting the $25K). I haven't closely followed the NIL stuff, the chips are going to fall where they will without me wasting my time digging into it but this caught my attention as a WBB fan.

4CBAD831-000D-4120-AA6D-2DC6A7F9D1F1.jpeg

“ $25,000? That’s adorable.”

Reaction Score
So women's college basketball is now officially a professional sport. Wonderful. Let the bidding for prospects start.

Reaction Score
I have family in the Austin area and returning to AZ we detoured to Lubbock one year. I actually kind of liked it, but we had to cut our visit short (basically overnight and a drive-around, didn't even get by the school) because of incoming inclement weather.

If my wife is ever able to travel again (health issues, depression and immunosuppression regarding Covid) they I think we would try once more to swing by. As I say, it seemed interesting.

As a reminder - there are many places, including Dallas (that I visited fairly often for work), where it is great to visit but I wouldn't necessarily want to live there.
Thoughts and prayers for your wife and family!

Reaction Score
So women's college basketball is now officially a professional sport. Wonderful. Let the bidding for prospects start.
I'm afraid that it's heading in that direction. I'm an old guy and haven't done much reading about NIL, but how will it not become pay-for-play?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Grab the 25 K and hit the Portal?
Like I alluded to, I would have to think, the money would be given at graduation. Talk about senior day. :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I've been bothered by some of what I've heard, not just in this thread, so I have a question or two.

The whole basis of the new rule(s) is that players are able to profit off their name, image, and likeness. So, in giving out these deals, does the entity that's paying have to use the players' names images or likenesses in any way? It would seem that just giving a 90-man football team a million dollars wouldn't qualify as a NIL deal.

Are there any rules or limits, and does anyone know what they are?

TIA

Reaction Score
I've been bothered by some of what I've heard, not just in this thread, so I have a question or two.

The whole basis of the new rule(s) is that players are able to profit off their name, image, and likeness. So, in giving out these deals, does the entity that's paying have to use the players' names images or likenesses in any way? It would seem that just giving a 90-man football team a million dollars wouldn't qualify as a NIL deal.

Are there any rules or limits, and does anyone know what they are?

TIA
The NCAA is waiting on approval of the draft rules by the SEC and Big10

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It would not surprise me to see other women’s basketball programs follow suit in the coming days/weeks/months. A local business or a wealthy alum should be able to work something out.

Reaction Score
Isn't a scholarship, in itself, basically a NIL deal to begin with? Now they're adding "sign up bonuses" and other incentive deals based on performance. Sounds like when I was working in the corporate world.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom