Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Sorry, I just don't see the draw of FSU....if you're making some mega SEC conference like this tweet implies, I don't see FSU getting a spot over Penn State. I don't buy this tweet at all but I don't understand the love for FSU. Cue billybud in 3,2,1...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It will also be interesting to see what Amazon and Netflix do. Neither has shown a shred of respect for profitability, and live streaming content would be attractive to both. ESPN is circulating a trial balloon that they are close to tapped out, probably to get negotiating leverage with the Pac12 and whatever is left of the Big 12. Fox will re-up the Big 10 and Big East, and with the Big 12's problems, both should get attractive deals.

But of Amazon or Netflix decides to bid, it could be another game changer.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I just don't see the draw of FSU....if you're making some mega SEC conference like this tweet implies, I don't see FSU getting a spot over Penn State. I don't buy this tweet at all but I don't understand the love for FSU. Cue billybud in 3,2,1...
FSU is big time. The SEC would go after Clemson and FSU at the direction of ESPN. Locking down Florida and Texas with the biggest names in both states has obvious benefits, specifically, recruiting. They can also effectively close the state to the B1G.

Reaction Score
It will also be interesting to see what Amazon and Netflix do. Neither has shown a shred of respect for profitability, and live streaming content would be attractive to both. ESPN is circulating a trial balloon that they are close to tapped out, probably to get negotiating leverage with the Pac12 and whatever is left of the Big 12. Fox will re-up the Big 10 and Big East, and with the Big 12's problems, both should get attractive deals.

But of Amazon or Netflix decides to bid, it could be another game changer.
Netflix CEO said live sports streaming not in the immediate cards a few days ago (never say never but it’s fresh):

Reaction Score
I'd love for UConn to end up in the ACC or B1G when the dust settles. Unfortunately it looks like a long shot at this point. I certainly won't be on the Boneyard hitting refresh every 5 seconds this go-round.
If every league is going to 16 we have a shot. The people who say we don't have enough value seem to forget we wouldn't be getting or asking for an equal share of the annual payout. Give us a B1G invite @ 15 million a year to start and we'd be happier than a pig in you know what.

Adding UCONN means the B1G owns the NYC market whereas adding Iowa St gives the B1G nothing at all. When you really think about it we even offer the B1G more than Kansas does. We should offer to play 5 home games every 10 years at Yankee Stadium, and some basketball games at MSG, lets see Kansas and Iowa State top that, all they offer is free corn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FSU is big time, The SEC would go after Clemson and FSU at the direction of ESPN. Locking down Florida and Texas with the biggest names in both states has obvious benefits, specifically, recruiting. They also close the state to the B1G. It is bad for college football, but I can see the thought process.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Netflix CEO said live sports streaming not in the immediate cards a few days ago (never say never but it’s fresh):

Peacock, Paramount and HBO Max are all candidates too for that matter.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

I doubt it, but I wonder if Texas A&M is pissed off enough to leave the SEC for the B1G. Missouri left the B12 for the SEC to escape the Texas cartel, but it was widely thought that they actually preferred the B1G over the SEC, but the B1G wasn't willing to give them an invite at the time. Would Texas A&M and Missouri be interested in leaving the SEC (who has no GOR) for the B1G at this point? Again, not likely...but you never know. Missouri and Ta&m are both quality academic schools (both AAU members) with large fan bases, large media markets, and typically good athletic programs. Would be an interesting counter-strike to the SEC move for the B1G.

Or maybe even a part of a bigger play to go for the grand slam. A unrealistic scenario, but B1G adds Texas A&M, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, USC, UCLA,, Stanford, Arizona, Oregon, and Washington. Would a truly National conference (from NJ to AZ) with all large schools with great academics (all are AAU members) with massive media markets, huge national fan bases, and great athletic programs. Conference still contiguous and power schools in all four time zones. That would be game/set/match that B1G is the undisputed #1 Super Conference no matter what happens.

Four 6 team pods:

USC
UCLA
STANFORD
ARIZONA
OREGON
WASHINGTON

COLORADO
KANSAS
MISSOURI
NEBRASKA
TEXAS A&M
IOWA

MINNESOTA
WISCONSIN
ILLINOIS
NORTHWESTERN
INDIANA
PURDUE

MICHIGAN
MICHIGAN ST
OHIO ST
PENN ST
MARYLAND
RUTGERS

heck, they could even just go for the absolute kill shot in 2035 and add a fifth six team pod of Notre Dame, Virginia, North Carolina, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Florida State.

Ok, just getting ridiculous at this point. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why do we call them pods instead of divisions? Is it just trying to pretend that they're not ultimately operating like pro sports?

Reaction Score
I think it's more likely that we'd see this: (and that's if there's no one at B1G headquarters willing to fook it up):

USC
WASHINGTON
OREGON
STANFORD
UCLA

COLORADO
NEBRASKA
WISCONSIN
MINNESOTA
IOWA

NORTHWESTERN
ILLINOIS
PURDUE
MICHIGAN STATE
MICHIGAN

INDIANA
OHIO STATE
PENN STATE
RUTGERS
MARYLAND

Reaction Score
If super conferences are the end game for college sports, why would the ACC or Big 10 expand now with the limited number of free agent schools that are not that attractive for the end game? If we are going to 20 school super conferences, why doesn’t the Big 10 try to grab 6 ACC schools and SEC grabs 4 schools to both get to 20 and eliminate the ACC?

That said, I do think the ACC will consider expanding now in order to get their media deal increased to try to keep Florida St., Clemson, UNC, and UVA happy and less motivated to look for an out.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Can we stop with this silly notion that if we go to a super conference/division type situation that a school like Rutgers would be in it. If they are going to go all out like this, and we are living in this dream world, I can easily see the B1G jettisoning Maryland and Rutgers and going after Virginia and maybe UNC.

If there is a move to a P2 or larger division system, some of these lower tier schools in these conferences aren't going to be carried along.

We also aren't going to included so let's not start adding us into any of these "pods" or whatever we wanna call it. It's just reality unfortunately.

Reaction Score
After the super conferences are sorted out the next logical step is tiered payouts. The Texas type schools get 1.25x+ of a share and the Purdue’s get .75x-, or some other set of numbers. I would not be surprised if the B12 offers this up in an effort to keep OU and Texas.

Reaction Score
The twitterati are having their day...we are all susceptible to believing...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is possible. But unlikely…as you’d need 10 ACC teams to agree, which would mean they’d need the SEC to partner with them on the assassination. Not sure why the SEC would do that now.
Because they can?

CL82

Reaction Score
The GOR grants their rights to the conference, not the network. So the ACC conference owns the rights to all of their media money, not ESPN.
I believe that the ACC media deal conveys them to ESPN, but that’s just a vague recollection.

CL82

Reaction Score

If true that makes the Big 12 more viable, at least for a time, much the same way it did with the OBE/American.

CL82

Reaction Score
We should offer to play 5 home games every 10 years at Yankee Stadium, and some basketball games at MSG, lets see Kansas and Iowa State top that, all they offer is free corn.
We don’t talk about it here, but I think one of the biggest mistakes UConn has made in conference realignment is not taking the 10 game football deal with Notre Dame. Yeah, not having any games that the Rent was problematic, but being affiliated with Notre Dame in football would have helped us as a potential partner with them whenever the end up in a conference. That deal is very similar to what you are proposing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A major draw for UConn remains Connecticut's demographics. We bring Hartford-New Haven market and metro New York City. And we cannot forget about our academic excellence and numerous national championships. Don't UConn BB fans want to see UConn playing NC, Duke and UVA?
That has worked so far. What has changed?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We don’t talk about it here, but I think one of the biggest mistakes UConn has made in conference realignment is not taking the 10 game football deal with Notre Dame. Yeah, it not having any games that the Rent was problematic, but being affiliated with Notre Dame in football would have helped us as a potential partner with them whenever the end up in a conference. That deal is very similar to what you are proposing.

It would not have changed anything. I honestly can’t even figure out how to connect Notre Dame looking for cupcakes to conference realignment.

Reaction Score
That has worked so far. What has changed?
Maybe now the president, Board of Trustees and governor will be on the same page as most of the fans. To see UConn in the P5 not some kind of retread Big East coalition.

Reaction Score
Maybe now the president, Board of Trustees and governor will be on the same page as most of the fans. To see UConn in the P5 not some kind of retread Big East coalition.
What conference wants UConn? Big 12 is out (obviously). B1G is out as we don't meet the AAU prerequisite. PAC 12 no chance. SEC probably not since football is their thing and not really ours. ACC is the only shot and it's a long one that likely requires them being raided first and I'm not sure we want to join any conference that vulnerable. Probably best to just sit tight and when all of the dust settles in 10 years, I think there are going to be a lot of former P5 schools in our position.

Reaction Score
Long range, Iowa State, Kansas State, even Kansas, are talked about as being in some barren wasteland of college athletics while the SEC is frolicking in trappings of riches. The ultimate result when there is the final separation of a governing body, what do you think happens to the likes of Creighton, Xavier, DePaul, Seton Hall, Marquette, Providence College, etc.? Those schools become less than nothing in this new world. The NCAA tournament revenue, which has been long predicted on this board as eventually going the way of the dodo bird, will be gone and a new iteration of a tournament will arise, among these super teams, with super fans and and super money. Unfortunately, in this endgame, UConn will look a lot more like DePaul than a Louisiana.

Reaction Score
Long range, Iowa State, Kansas State, even Kansas, are talked about as being in some barren wasteland of college athletics while the SEC is frolicking in trappings of riches. The ultimate result when there is the final separation of a governing body, what do you think happens to the likes of Creighton, Xavier, DePaul, Seton Hall, Marquette, Providence College, etc.? Those schools become less than nothing in this new world. The NCAA tournament revenue, which has been long predicted on this board as eventually going the way of the dodo bird, will be gone and a new iteration of a tournament will arise, among these super teams, with super fans and and super money. Unfortunately, in this endgame, UConn will look a lot more like DePaul than a Louisiana.
What is going to happen will happen. No sense losing sleep or over it. Life will go on. I survived the loss of the Whalers and will survive UConn being relegated to mid major status. I just won’t be that invested in UConn sports other than the hockey team. Life will go on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom