Texas & OK ask to join SEC? | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Texas & OK ask to join SEC?

Reaction Score
It's not the teams alone. It's the matchups. More eyeballs. More Ad dollars.

Clemson vs. top half of SEC is worth X more $$$ than Clemson vs. top half of ACC. Same can be said for the bottom half. SEC is just deeper in football.
Sure.. but as I said, even if you accept that adding Clemson/FSU is worth enough to increase the SEC TV deal by at least another per-team amount.. then you've also established that the majority of the value in the ACC deal is gone (unless you, for some reason, don't think that FSU and Clemson were the main drivers of the current ACC contract value).

For the argument that the GOR could still be met, ESPN would then have to be willing pay the remaining 12 members considerably more than the value they'll get from that deal for about a decade. On the whole.. the value gain of Clemson or FSU making a lessor matchup valuable (say Clemson-BC), probably brings a higher profit margin than the added value from Clemson-Vanderbilt. Clemson - Alabama is a home run.. but enough to outweigh the losses from paying 12 other ACC members much more than their worth?

Reaction Score

This would be a bigger act of charity than the acc accepting wvu. Won’t believe it till it happens.

deadweight in football and if i were MSU and Michigan i'd rather see KU struggle recruiting going forward than prop them up in bball to the point they can steal Big10 chips. destroy your competition don't elevate them, it's not like the bIG10 needs to boost its bball profile it's already the deepest league.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This would be a bigger act of charity than the acc accepting wvu. Won’t believe it till it happens.
The only way this would make any sense would be if it were truth to the Big Ten absorbing the Big East rumor from the St. John's board.

And my guess is there is not because (a) it would help UConn and we know the conference realignment rules, and (b) (just as true) football drives the bus so why would you do that?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The only way this would make any sense would be if it were truth to the Big Ten absorbing the Big East rumor from the St. John's board.

And my guess is there is not because (a) it would help UConn and we know the conference realignment rules, and (b) (just as true) football drives the bus so why would you do that?
I think they would be paired with Colorado not us.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

deadweight in football and if i were MSU and Michigan i'd rather see KU struggle recruiting going forward than prop them up to the point they can steal Big10 chips. destroy your competition don't elevate them, it's not like the bIG10 needs to boost its bball profile it's already the deepest league.
Kansas won't improve recruiting much in the B1G. They will only have two legitimate regional rivalries (Colorado and Nebraska) and it will be a much more difficult conference for them. They went 6-83 in the Big 12 in the last decade. It could be even worse in the B1G.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I’ve seen some messageboard chatter that suggests that being the dominant basketball conference, while not as valuable as being the dominant football conference, has value.

Reaction Score
Kansas won't improve recruiting much in the B1G. They will only have two legitimate regional rivalries (Colorado and Nebraska) and it will be a much more difficult conference for them. They went 6-83 in the Big 12 in the last decade. It could be even worse in the B1G.
i was talking about bball since it would be purely a bbal move

Reaction Score
I’ve seen some messageboard chatter that suggests that being the dominant basketball conference, while not as valuable as being the dominant football conference, has value.
it wasnt for the BE

CL82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The Big East "rumor" is one random message board post.
what? i meant the old big east being the best bball conference ever wasnt worth a damn in the end so for the big10 to make a purely bball based decision now at the expense of football...just doesnt make sense

CL82

Reaction Score
what? i meant the old big east being the best bball conference ever wasnt worth a damn in the end so for the big10 to make a purely bball based decision now at the expense of football...just doesnt make sense
Gotcha. Kind of agree, although the old Big East did have value. Most of the original and early members did well.

In any event, I was just responding to someone else's post. Keep in mind that the new paradigm isn't ratings, where football is king, but subscribers. There are a lot of basketball fans who would pay for access to every game. There's value there.

Reaction Score
In any event, I was just responding to someone else's post. Keep in mind that the new paradigm isn't ratings, where football is king, but subscribers. There are a lot of basketball fans who would pay for access to every game. There's value there.
i agree the new paradigm is different i.e. subscribers matter more than markets, but ratings should somewhat translate to subscribers and KU bball gets a fraction of the ratings/subscribers that big10 football gets.

CL82

Reaction Score
i agree the new paradigm is different i.e. subscribers matter more than markets, but ratings should somewhat translate to subscribers and KU bball gets a fraction of the ratings/subscribers that big10 football gets.
Agree, but the Big Ten isn’t looking to get what it already has, it’s looking to pick up value wherever it can.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree, but the Big Ten isn’t looking to get what it already has it’s looking to pick up value wherever it can.
agree again but unless KU bball brings in $55 million a year then they won't even be paying for themselves and will end up decreasing the other teams' splits. they could offer KU a fraction of a share but i don't understand the economics of that. plenty of programs would be willing to join for less than a full share, including UConn.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Worth more money how though? Who is making more money? The conferences? The teams? ESPN would be going up against itself in bidding so they wouldn't be adding any money there. If you are talking about ESPN, how would they make more money?

I think the risk they are running by putting all these teams in the same conference is that they are going to eat each other. There can it be so many winners in a conference. You are now taking 12-0, 11-1 teams and placing them into the same conferences (if you put Clemson in there too). It's not a good situation.
Not just that, you have a minimum of 8 conference-related games per week. With OOC let’s say you average 10 instead. There are 3 time slots on Saturday. There has to be diminishing returns to overlapping games. You can’t just compete with yourself.

CL82

Reaction Score
agree again but unless KU bball brings in $55 million a year then they won't even be paying for themselves and will end up decreasing the other teams' splits. they could offer KU a fraction of a share but i don't understand the economics of that. plenty of programs would be willing to join for less than a full share, including UConn.
Somebody on the board talked about the next wave of expansion being fractional shares. I can’t see the B1G doing that as it is inherently divisive.

Reaction Score
That rumor is all subterfuge anyway. Does anyone believe the Big 10 is countering Texas and Oklahoma with Kansas? No. No. They're making their own power move. Kansas City.

This used car salesman I know apparently saw BTM eating a Juicy Lucy on a bench in Minneapolis. A conversation ensued, and the truth began to emerge. The Chiefs feel like a geographic outlier in the AFC West. They covet a contiguous division and feel the path to playoffs is easier in the Big 10. Mahomes is apparently onboard with the move. The biggest obstacle is Big 10 presidents. Apparently several are concerned that the Chiefs aren't an AAU member. Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Clemson self identifies as SEC.

Doesn't that have to be honored ?

Asking for a non binary friend.
Then why did they stay in the ACC and let South Carolina get an invite? They already had a title by then.

Reaction Score
If Kansas was smart, they should aim for the PAC 12. Access to recruits along the coast. Can also fit in with or add to their financial model.

CL82

Reaction Score

LOL it took him a week to come up with that?

Aresco sitting in his office thinking:
  • Silly and stupid? No, no too childish
  • Made up and dumb? Not forceful enough
  • Didn’t think we’d get caught? Too truthful
  • ESPN told us what to do? DeFilippo’s already used it.
  • [Fast forward seven days]
  • Unfounded and grossly irresponsible? That’s gold. Call a presser boys. It’s Mikey’s time to shine

Reaction Score
LOL it took him a week to come up with that?

Aresco sitting in his office thinking:
  • Silly and stupid? No, no too childish
  • Made up and dumb? Not forceful enough
  • Didn’t think we’d get caught? Too truthful
  • ESPN told us what to do? DeFilippo’s already used it.
  • [Fast forward seven days]
  • Unfounded and grossly irresponsible? That’s gold. Call a presser boys. It’s Mikey’s time to shine
It’s what the legal folk in Bristol told him to say.

CL82

Reaction Score
It’s what the legal folk in Bristol told him to say.

TL;DR: We consulted with ESPN regarding our structure, not the big 12’s. ESPN just happen to think that our structure would be enhanced by adding big 12 members.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom