Texas at Tennessee (merged thread) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Texas at Tennessee (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Bizarre. McCarty fouls out and hugs Holly. Cant wait until after the game. Head bang

Im pretty sure Chiney Ogwumike did the same thing her freshman season when Stanford played at UCONN. I believe it may have been a handshake instead of a hug but she did show her appreciation.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I may just have never noticed but today's game was the first time I've noticed players actually touching up their hair while they were dribbling the ball....both teams.....
No, no, no, you didn't really see that did you? Surely players would not do that during play. Wow.

Reaction Score
I may just have never noticed but today's game was the first time I've noticed players actually touching up their hair while they were dribbling the ball....both teams.....
Well, not dribbling, but can you say Meghan Gardler?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Im pretty sure Chiney Ogwumike did the same thing her freshman season when Stanford played at UCONN. I believe it may have been a handshake instead of a hug but she did show her appreciation.

No idea the circumstances of Ogwumike but McCarty fouling out with 2 minutes left and possibly hurting the best chance they had to come back should have been "slightly" ticked. If you want to show respect to the opposition coach, plenty of time after the game. jmho

Reaction Score
Thanks I know they had some struggles today. I think you could see a little of why Tennessee fans are so excited about the team and the freshman.
Your freshmen were great. Skilled, poised and fearless. They made mistakes of course, but that is to be expected. No one would accuse them of great ball and body movement, but that is usually the hardest thing for freshmen to pick up, even in a scheme (and I don't mean Tennessee's) that emphasizes it. I shudder to think of what UCONN would look like against a top 5 team (or wherever Texas should be ranked) with 3 of our freshmen playing most of the game. In addition, Nared was her usual stellar self, and Russell seemed more engaged than in past years. A crappy game, but lots of reason for optimism.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm...."Tennessee got hosed by those refs"..

Yet 3 Texas starters fouled out.

Common sense says:

More hard drives to the basket = More fouls called.

You must not have watched the last 5 minutes of the game where there were multiple egregious out-of-bounds calls. And that "taunting" tech...

Puh-lease. I sure hope you never ref.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Common sense says:

More hard drives to the basket = More fouls called.

You must not have watched the last 5 minutes of the game where there were multiple egregious out-of-bounds calls. And that "taunting" tech...

Puh-lease. I sure hope you never ref.
It was clearly taunting and it was so egregious the ref couldn't ignore it. You could tell because the Tennessee players didn't try to argue the call.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A Goestenkors coached team would never play the way Texas played today.
Are you kidding me? She was run out of Texas due to making them irrelevant. While Ashton certainly struggles coaching a cohesive offense, she has done a really good job with improving their record and getting national recruits (basically keeping Texas recruits in state something Gail couldn’t do). Last I checked, Gail was still unemployed and outlooks are not promising...

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It was clearly taunting and it was so egregious the ref couldn't ignore it. You could tell because the Tennessee players didn't try to argue the call.

Thank you!

Reaction Score
The Texas team I saw against TN couldn't have been the #2 team. That was without a doubt a team not ready for prime time. Karen Astin has a lot of work to do to get them back on track. She has the ability to do it so I expect them to be a different team going forward.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
That happened twice and neither time did Texas take advantage of her not being on defense. A player stopped and shot a jumper and missed and the ball was rebounded by Tennessee and passed down court to Russell.
Umm, I thought that was basically what I posted. Head bang

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? She was run out of Texas due to making them irrelevant. While Ashton certainly struggles coaching a cohesive offense, she has done a really good job with improving their record and getting national recruits (basically keeping Texas recruits in state something Gail couldn’t do). Last I checked, Gail was still unemployed and outlooks are not promising...

well she is employed with ESPN..... after being an assistant in the WNBA for a few years. Im sure if she wanted to coach again.... she would have alot of options.. she is only 54..... thats about 20 years younger than the ND and Stanford coach.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
well she is employed with ESPN..... after being an assistant in the WNBA for a few years. Im sure if she wanted to coach again.... she would have alot of options.. she is only 54..... thats about 20 years younger than the ND and Stanford coach.
Now now, let's not be catty. Muffett is 62 and Tara is 64.

Reaction Score
Hard to know what to say after that one. It was as bad as all these posts say. Texas should never have been ranked #2, but honestly I've never seen this team play a game as awful as that. Atkins and Higgs showed up, but no one else did. McCarty has never had a game like that before. And it did look like they have never been coached, but believe me, they have. Players do not always play in games like they have been coached. I do have two beefs with Karen Aston --- not playing Rellah Boothe and not trying a zone. But stay tuned...you may see a better Texas later in the year.

Reaction Score
Well, Westbrook played 37 minutes yesterday. She had 15 points but 7 turnovers and 4 fouls.

Now, Meg will not play 37 minutes in any game this year, baring some injury situation.

So, who made the better choice? Well, Westbrook will play a lot, lot more than Meg will this year.

But, who will turn out to be the better player? The answer is obvious. Does Tennessee know that you actually can run an offense, not just bomb away with bad shots? Plus, Meg is getting coached not just by Geno, but by Shea, who was an AA and won the MOP in the tournament in 2000. I saw Westbrook jacking up shots that would have put her on the bench if she were playing for UConn.

Meg went for the long term. Smart move, says I.

As I, and others, have said before, Meg is going to be really, really great.

Thoughts?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, Westbrook played 37 minutes yesterday. She had 15 points but 7 turnovers and 4 fouls.

Now, Meg will not play 37 minutes in any game this year, baring some injury situation.

So, who made the better choice? Well, Westbrook will play a lot, lot more than Meg will this year.

But, who will turn out to be the better player? The answer is obvious. Does Tennessee know that you actually can run an offense, not just bomb away with bad shots? Plus, Meg is getting coached not just by Geno, but by Shea, who was an AA and won the MOP in the tournament in 2000. I saw Westbrook jacking up shots that would have put her on the bench if she were playing for UConn.

Meg went for the long term. Smart move, says I.

As I, and others, have said before, Meg is going to be really, really great.

Thoughts?

These comparisons are really not fair. You have to believe that players know their individual makeups and what fits best. Westbrook for whatever reason felt UConn would not be a good fit. Not everyone has the makeup to go to UConn. The level of individual sacrifice is unmatched and not for most.

Also, it could be as simple as 'She was not recruited by UConn'. I do not think she was but I am not sure.

My only concern is that MW can continue to take the long view and handle what that means. It must not be easy when you look at players with half your talent getting starters minutes in top 20 programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom