Terrible Basketball Phrases | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Terrible Basketball Phrases

Reaction Score
High Basketball IQ

Though it may be a real thing, whenever someone says it it always sounds douchey

Reaction Score
Though you don’t hear it as much any more, “over the back”.
No, that’s wasn’t “over the back”. Your player is vertically challenged, standing there like a statue, while my player is actually making an effort to grab the rebound.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that's how most here use the phrase as well - it's pretty clear as day when you see it. No need to get on a high horse about it

There is a substantial group of folks on this board who have absolutely no idea what a high hedge is. When looking at the game chats, it seems like it must be well over half. Because of that, communicating about the merits of it on this board go to hell and a handbasket quickly.

Reaction Score
Though you don’t hear it as much any more, “over the back”.
No, that’s wasn’t “over the back”. Your player is vertically challenged, standing there like a statue, while my player is actually making an effort to grab the rebound.

Over the back isn't a foul anyways. If Donovan reaches over some 6'2 guard to grab a rebound, it isn't a foul. If he elbows the crap out of his head... that's a foul.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that's how most here use the phrase as well - it's pretty clear as day when you see it. No need to get on a high horse about it
I mean, he's not wrong. Pretty consistently there are posters bemoaning the "high hedge" where the high hedge is not happening, and where it becomes clear that the phrase is being used to describe any situation in which the big challenges the ballhandler when coming over a screen.

Reaction Score
ESPN is currently infatuated with "hoop and the harm" when everyone knows it's an "And-1"...just awful...unless alliteration is your thing
Don't get me started... You should never watch Walt Frazier broadcasting a Knicks game!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"Unbelievable", in just about every context.

"Special", "fantastic", "great", or any synonyms of such would be appropriate, but "unbelievable" is dumb because I just saw it with my own eyes, thus: "believable".

Reaction Score
There is a substantial group of folks on this board who have absolutely no idea what a high hedge is. When looking at the game chats, it seems like it must be well over half. Because of that, communicating about the merits of it on this board go to hell and a handbasket quickly.
Fair enough - am not in the game chats, but could see it happening there - different animal

Reaction Score
I find that half the arguments on here are because people don't have the same definition of a concept, phrase or word.

Reaction Score
'An offensive set' sounds like a lot of standing around.
Hey Adrien! Did you see this story? Heard about it on the radio. The kid goes to a magnet school, made the public school basketball team, and the principaland and superintendent then denied the kid.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Over the back isn't a foul anyways. If Donovan reaches over some 6'2 guard to grab a rebound, it isn't a foul. If he elbows the crap out of his head... that's a foul.
I think we all know what this means. They call it a push now, but calling it a push is fairly new. If you clobber somebody's back, head and shoulders from behind to get that rebound, it's a foul, one we used to call "over the back". I think it's fine as a more detailed description of the foul. Obviously Donovan can just reach over someone like me without fouling. Maybe they should call it "through the back", you can't go through the player to get the ball.

Good description on "high hedge" or in the case of Carlton when he ran it "somehow got lost two exits away" hedge. Dan has done a great job of using Sanogo on high hedges much more judiciously, and having Donovan in drop, even if fairly tight drop coverage at times.

I suppose one of the side benefits of being hearing impaired is that I either don't hear or ignore most of the commentary.

Reaction Score
Good description on "high hedge" or in the case of Carlton when he ran it "somehow got lost two exits away" hedge. Dan has done a great job of using Sanogo on high hedges much more judiciously, and having Donovan in drop, even if fairly tight drop coverage at times.

Agree 100%. It made sense to throw Whaley into a high hedge on most every pick and roll he saw... he was ridiculously talented at it. Sanogo being more conservative makes sense. It also helps having a pretty high-IQ defender on the back line with (usually) Karaban moving in to cover the roll man. Alex isn't going to stuff an athletic 7-footer at the rim, but he's got sound positional defense and seems to be pretty good at playing straight up and taking the hit to the chest.

In an ideal world, you have an athletic, shotblocking freak back there like Samson or Akok... but those types of players are tough to come by. If they've got enough defensive IQ to be in position, and enough offense to keep a defense honest, they're often 5* type players.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The use of the word “coach” to describe a commentator. If it’s a retired, successful coach ala Calhoun or Bobby Knight, that’s 100% fine. But quit calling Steve Lappas “coach”.
Yes!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom