Tennessee | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
As I said, rankings mean nothing to a real fan. I'm only inquiring about their OOC schedule.
Fans definitely care about rankings, especially in the top 5. Not sure how you figure otherwise. Plus that's 4 big game matchups which should bring huge crowds and a competitive atmosphere, including 3 OOC games. Plus LSU should be quite good next year. Nothing to sneer at. It isn't as strong as how Pat scheduled 10+ years ago but it's solid nonetheless.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Fans definitely care about rankings, especially in the top 5. Not sure how you figure otherwise. Plus that's 4 big game matchups which should bring huge crowds and a competitive atmosphere, including 3 OOC games. Plus LSU should be quite good next year. Nothing to sneer at. It isn't as strong as how Pat scheduled 10+ years ago but it's solid nonetheless.
Last year taught us that ranking don't always reflect the strength of a team. The head to head matchups tell the real story, looking forward to that.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
That will be a fun game to watch. There are some interesting matchups too...Kitley vs. Key and Owusu vs. Horston come to mind.
Does Va Tech have a deep bench? Tennessee will be able to rotate players in.

Reaction Score
Harper has UT trending in the right direction. I suspected she would. I don't think most fans were willing to admit how low the program got under Warlick, and it honeslty had trended down a little under Pat but we all know why.

I have no idea if UT will ever be a NC caliber program again. There is a lot of competition out there and the game is very different than even 10 years ago when Pat stepped down. UT may not have the recent success of other programs but they still have a strong fan base with lots of support and invest in their program. That alone gets the attention of many recruits and families.

Reaction Score
Harper has UT trending in the right direction. I suspected she would. I don't think most fans were willing to admit how low the program got under Warlick, and it honeslty had trended down a little under Pat but we all know why.

I have no idea if UT will ever be a NC caliber program again. There is a lot of competition out there and the game is very different than even 10 years ago when Pat stepped down. UT may not have the recent success of other programs but they still have a strong fan base with lots of support and invest in their program. That alone gets the attention of many recruits and families.
Facilities, a huge fanbase and NIL potential are a big factors for recruits. UT has all of those. A great tradition helps, but a teenager sees tradition much differently than us 40+ (65 plus for me) fans.

The question is whether Harper is ready as a tournament coach. Maybe. Maybe not. She has some proving to do.

Can they beat SCar at home? Of course. Can they beat SCar in the SEC tourney at SCar's home away from home in Greenville? Much more doubtful, but it's a short trip across the mountains from Knoxville, so they could bring fans. Can they make a final four? They have a lot of proving to do even if they win the SEC or SEC tourney. They need to avoid being shipped to the West in the "regionals" so they can come back to Greenville rather than going to Washington.

Reaction Score
Facilities, a huge fanbase and NIL potential are a big factors for recruits. UT has all of those. A great tradition helps, but a teenager sees tradition much differently than us 40+ (65 plus for me) fans.

The question is whether Harper is ready as a tournament coach. Maybe. Maybe not. She has some proving to do.
I agree with you on the how a teenager views things vs an older group (I am late 40s) but it still says a lot when a recruit vists and sees a big crowd than an mostly empty arena. UT doesn't draw as well as SC but it is still a top 5 draw nationally, even with their less than stellar record in March.

I agree with you Harper still has some things to prove. She may get there, she may not.

Reaction Score
Well 3x champion as a player. I wouldn't be surprised to see one as a coach.
She has the right attitude to get it done. Just don’t know if she can gather the “right” players and run an efficient and effective offense. As many have said. Time will tell.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
She has the right attitude to get it done. Just don’t know if she can gather the “right” players and run an efficient and effective offense. As many have said. Time will tell.
I think she has the team in better position now. Than when she took this job. Thia roster is one that has the talent to win one. Yes to do that would have to beat some really good teams. Samantha Williams said this team has the potential to be great. We will see. I just hope no serious injuries happen this year. I think Horston has something to prove after missing the tournament.

Reaction Score

An award like this deserves a bit more attention but I'm curious as to the nomination/selection process. First, teams have to submit their GPA to WCBA for consideration online per their website. I don't know of a better method as I'm not sure as to how accessible GPA information is. Second, I don't know why they cut it off at 25.

Considering the number of schools out there, it would be cool if they could list more schools, possibly cut off at 50 (maybe?). These athletes worked hard to manage their commitments to school and basketball. The academics side should be celebrated more.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
An award like this deserves a bit more attention but I'm curious as to the nomination/selection process. First, teams have to submit their GPA to WCBA for consideration online per their website. I don't know of a better method as I'm not sure as to how accessible GPA information is. Second, I don't know why they cut it off at 25.

Considering the number of schools out there, it would be cool if they could list more schools, possibly cut off at 50 (maybe?). These athletes worked hard to manage their commitments to school and basketball. The academics side should be celebrated more.
I just know what I read on there. Yes, it is a nice award.

Reaction Score
I just know what I read on there. Yes, it is a nice award.
Sorry. My reply was more of a musing than expecting you to know the process.

It's been something I've been curious about since learning about this award a few years ago. Seeing your post just brought it back to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom