Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If you rewatch the game, the refs let anything and everything go under the basket, particularly in the second half. "Scrum" would be too soft a term to describe the

If you rewatch the game, the refs let anything and everything go under the basket, particularly in the second half. "Scrum" would be too soft a term to describe the pushing and shoving.
Giving up 23 offensive boards is just way too much. Definitely no need to blame the refs on this.

Reaction Score
Poor Rebecca Lobo has a thankless job calling UCONN games. She had to comment about Geno's halftime tirades. If she agreed that the officiating was inconsistent, she would have been labeled as a UCONN homer. Instead, she blamed UCONN's failure to adapt to Tennessee's physical play for the Vol's comeback. Ryan Ruocco bailed her out by mentioning the ridiculous charging call that sent Lou to the bench. Rebecca does a great job remaining neutral during these rivalry games.

Reaction Score
I don’t care about the shooting guard grabbing rebounds. She gets pinballed around enough already without banging bodies with post players.

Stay on the perimeter, Lou

That's cool. What I hope for might be a bit more than you do, which is ok...I hope..

I think at her size she could get a few more rebounds a game. Other players shoot the ball and she can get an offensive rebound or two a game as well when they miss.

But as I said a few times, she has been terrific and if she keeps this up, I'll take it as it is.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It didn't seem to be a problem her last couple of games getting double doubles. She didn't have a thumb sleeve on against Tennessee. So my guess it's fully healed or she wouldn't be out there.
Have you ever had a broken bone? It takes time for it to heal properly and any jolt or hit causes pain. She has had a broken wrist and thumb in less than a year and most likely the jarring of either is still bothering her. Those people that wear Orange were hacking away at both last light when they were fighting for rebounds. I'm proud of what she is doing because most likely she is doing it while suffering the pain.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
They have and they will. An away game is just what they need.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I always breathe a sigh of relief when Nika has the ball. What a star. What a general. She is the sneakiest stealer in the league. She can dribble around anybody. She's fearless. She's tireless. She's faster than a speeding bullet. Can bend steal with her bare hands. She's NIKA!!!
Not sure if "she can bend steal with her bare hands" was an intentional play on words, but it fits! :)

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo: "Just so you know, if you grab my leg, I’m kicking!"
She was criticizing the double foul call. Joe Vaszily called a foul on Tennessee. During the review, Gina Cross changed it to a double foul. Just a horrible overturn!

Reaction Score
Have you ever had a broken bone? It takes time for it to heal properly and any jolt or hit causes pain. She has had a broken wrist and thumb in less than a year and most likely the jarring of either is still bothering her. Those people that wear Orange were hacking away at both last light when they were fighting for rebounds. I'm proud of what she is doing because most likely she is doing it while suffering the pain.
Good call! Also, in the past games before Tennessee, Dorka didn't have contested rebounds where the opponent was hacking away at the ball. Good scouting by Tennessee to recognize an opportunity and taking advantage of it. But it doesn't translate to Dorka being "soft"!

Reaction Score
Poor Rebecca Lobo has a thankless job calling UCONN games. She had to comment about Geno's halftime tirades. If she agreed that the officiating was inconsistent, she would have been labeled as a UCONN homer. Instead, she blamed UCONN's failure to adapt to Tennessee's physical play for the Vol's comeback. Ryan Ruocco bailed her out by mentioning the ridiculous charging call that sent Lou to the bench. Rebecca does a great job remaining neutral during these rivalry games.
My favorite line in the broadcast was when Lobo, with a nod to Seinfeld, described Lou's jumpshot as, "Real and spectacular.";)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
One of the problems causing so many charge/block collisions is the dearth of players who have a mid range game. I used to be amazed at how many players would turn down a wide open 6-15 foot shot to barrel in to the basket for a wild, contested shot or worse, a put your head down goal line buffalo charge to the basket. Now I am surprised when a player takes a mid range shot off the dribble. There were two players with that in their game last night, Senechal and Horston. Muhl made one but that is a rarity for her. Edwards takes them but not off the dribble.
One last comment on the refs last night, I thought there was only one “horrible“ call, Senechal’s 3rd foul. Tennessee became the aggressor in the 2nd qtr, cranked up their D, drove the ball hard and hit the offensive boards hard. Uconn just did not match that intensity, got out of sync on offense, and that’s why the game turned around, not the refs IMO. To their obvious credit, they turned it back up in the 2nd half and got the game back under control.
I think the double technical was a gutless attempt to placate the crowd. And the first, third and fourth quarters were called evenly, though the second half was called poorly both ways, The first quarter, with only one foul on either team, was a free flowing affair, but by halftime Tennessee had taken 12 free throws to our two. That's what cranked Geno up, and the fact that we did not respond well in the second. Neither team had a free throw in the 4th . Just not a consistently called game, but that seems to be the rule now.

Reaction Score
Rebecca Lobo: "Just so you know, if you grab my leg, I’m kicking!"
She was criticizing the double foul call. Joe Vaszily called a foul on Tennessee. During the review, Gina Cross changed it to a double foul. Just a horrible overturn!
Vasily was right there, head down, watching the entire incident unfold. He made the correct call. Why Cross decided to review it, and change the call to double intentional was an outrageously incorrect decision. Looks like someone was grandstanding for the national TV audience and Volunteer fans!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I broke my foot in 3 places in 2018 and there are still days that my foot bothers me. The doctor said the bones heal but the surrounding tissue heals very slowly and may not heal completely at all

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I broke my foot in 3 places in 2018 and there are still days that my foot bothers me. The doctor said the bones heal but the surrounding tissue heals very slowly and may not heal completely at all
Nan feet are a lot more complex than we tend to think. I share your affliction. With the barometer falling here I share your pain.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It just came over the news. Knoxville , TN is the new "whine" capital of the US, replacing Napa.
A lot of that whining is about Coach Kellie Harper and I gotta say there are a lot of legitimate beefs directed her way. Nonetheless she got a 3 or 4 year extension recently and is making $1 million. Pretty good for someone who plainly has lost the recruiting wars in dramatic fashion.

Reaction Score
It just came over the news. Knoxville , TN is the new "whine" capital of the US, replacing Napa.
Volnation had 47 pages of game thread as of last night. They seemed relatively rational in the few pages I read though. Not catatonic or livid.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One last observation of last night’s game.........the UConn starters got 11 minutes and zero points from their bench. Tennessee got 93 minutes and 38 points from its bench. Every UConn starter played at least 36 minutes. Nika played 40. No LV starter played more than 28, yet the UConn core group persevered and won in what was less than an optimum environment.

Knowing this I personally find it difficult to criticize any of our players on their performance last night. Oh yeah, UConn won CONVINCINGLY by 17 points with basically 6 players. :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger