Tennessee Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Tennessee Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Stop being defensive. he meant geography. If we were facing a west coast team he'd say " out here" or a northern team it would be "up here"

Geesh
So Geno assumes when they are on the road the refs are what? Paid off? Rigging the game against them? This is the one time I will agree with Cornelius. Given how tired the team looked in the 2nd quarter, I figured that was going to be the basis of Geno's comments at half time which is basically how he framed it post-game. One thing is for sure: Geno's not a coach that should be interviewed in the heat of the moment like that.

Reaction Score
Does anybody have the attendance figures for this game
My biggest takeaway - I've never seen this year's team so focused. The 2 losses came in very hostile road environments, where their shooting, ball-handling, defense, stamina, etc. was altered & just wasn't where it needed to be for 40 minutes to win. Tonight showed a lot of growth in all areas. The team was able to shoot at a very good % throughout the game, and when things got tight in the 2nd-quarter, they were able to overcome it. A great mental and physical step forward.
Also, Dorka did not play at Maryland.

Reaction Score
Lou and Aaliyah were awesome on getting buckets when we needed them, Just how important Lou is was obvious when she had to sit! Gotta give a shout out to Nika though. She kept her cool and just set a tone of not taking any ****. as exemplified in a couple of those tie-up ruffles! She played all 40 minutes and looked like she could go another 20, led team with 14 assists, 4 steals and pulled down 4 rebounds. She is just so sold game in and game out.
Had the refs been better Lou doesn't have to sit, and Tennessee doesn't get close.

Reaction Score
I think it’s hysterical that people are focusing on Geno’s rant and not the fact that the Huskies beat Tennessee in Knoxville with 5 players by outplaying them physically . Gee, almost like he was trying to take the heat off his players and put it on himself.

I love Geno. He’s got his players’ backs. And I love seeing him find his fire after being despondent for the last 6 weeks.

I can understand the consternation, but all Geno was saying is home cooking has nothing to do with gathering ingredients and using an oven, but rather inconsistent officiant due to a home crowd. Shocking! If anything he praised the crowd, but exposed the refs. I am OK with it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I too agree 100% with what Coach Geno said to Ms. Rowe, But I did not like how he spoke to her and that he didn't apologize to her later on TV. Maybe he did say something to her off the camera but I do believe he owes her a good one on one interview.

Go Huskies!!
She’s known him a long time and she knew his Mom. She gets him.

Reaction Score
Call it home-cooking or not. There's no question the bad call on Lou altered the game in a big way while she was on the bench. We don't have another outside shooter like Azzi or Paige. I suspect that's what Geno was upset about the most, more than anything else.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Call it home-cooking or not. There's no question the bad call on Lou altered the game in a big way while she was on the bench. We don't have another outside shooter like Azzi or Paige. I suspect that's what Geno was upset about the most, more than anything else.
It’s not just this game but Lou gets hacked, held, and bumped constantly and can’t buy a foul call. She got whacked in the face last night inadvertently with no call (it was the steal at midcourt). I’m surprised Geno hasn’t lost his mind about it

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I agree. I meant a cause and effect. Pressuring the guards and the screens will accomplish screwing up the handoffs and taking away the entry passes. Forcing the offense out so high will often leave them with bad shots trying to beat the shot clock as you say. Maybe UConn can play good defense, keep it a close, low scoring game and try to steal it late.
Yeah. Maybe. However UConn is going to need CD if they want a realistic chance. Though AE and Dorka will have to have more than 7 (AE only one rebound in the 2nd half yesterday) and 6 rebounds respectively if they're going to have a real chance of winning.

Reaction Score
I too agree 100% with what Coach Geno said to Ms. Rowe, But I did not like how he spoke to her and that he didn't apologize to her later on TV. Maybe he did say something to her off the camera but I do believe he owes her a good one on one interview.

Go Huskies!!
We'll never know, but he apologized to Maria that one time he went off on her, so he at least has enough self awareness to know when he crossed the line.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Maybe. However UConn is going to need CD if they want a realistic chance. Though AE and Dorka will have to have more than 7 (AE only one rebound in the 2nd half yesterday) and 6 rebounds respectively if they're going to have a real chance of winning.
Didn’t say that I expected them to, just that they could try. ;)

Reaction Score
Totally agree that one or two more starter type players will be needed for a serious stretch run. The bones are great, need a little more seasoning for a great stew.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Tonight's game, watching our "bigs" play has me worrying about our play around the basket against South Carolina. I agree with a few posters who want to see Dorka become more forceful under the hoop.....on defense+offense.
I'd like to see the team box out a lot better. Too many times they are just out numbered under the basket - especially last night.

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno was disrespectful to Holly Rowe. It looked like he was frustrated & knew that he could rant to his pal Holly. She was smiling the whole time. And knowing the professional that she is, amused Holly was probably thinking, "This is great television!"

Reaction Score
I don't think Geno was disrespectful to Holly Rowe. It looked like he was frustrated & knew that he could rant to his pal Holly. She was smiling the whole time. And knowing the professional that she is, amused Holly was probably thinking, "This is great television!"
I was wondering if he wanted to be overheard by the refs, get a point across without confronting them: "I have access to the national media and you don't."

Reaction Score
I was wondering if he wanted to be overheard by the refs, get a point across without confronting them: "I have access to the national media and you don't."
Where do the refs go after the half? There's a bit of delay before Geno's half time interview, and I assumed the refs like the players were long gone from the court by the time Holly asks her question and Geno answers it.

Reaction Score
Kind of hard to grab a ball when your broken thumb has a protective sleeve on it.
It didn't seem to be a problem her last couple of games getting double doubles. She didn't have a thumb sleeve on against Tennessee. So my guess it's fully healed or she wouldn't be out there.

Reaction Score
I'm confused. Lou has been one of our best offensive threats (AE being the other) all season long, scoring in double figures every game she has played. Not sure why you think this may be a one-off. Also, she's a designated shooter. She's not going to have NM's assists or DJ's rebounds. She's doing her primary job very well, as is NM.
I agree but she was red hot against a really tough team. She was hitting left and right. Didn't she score 10 points more than her season average. Also, didn't see shoot close to 70% in the game? She is shooting closer to 50% for the year I would think and that has a lot of very poor teams sprinkled in there. Her yearly total as very good but she was great in this game, on the road against a very long, quick good defensive team!

Lou raised her game a level against TN and I hope that she can keep it there. That is what I meant. Yes her primary job is to score - I just wish she could get a few more rebounds per game, especially on the offensive end. It wouldn't surprise me at all if NM is getting more rebounds than she is.

NM does her primary job and more, a lot more actually: dish, defense, grab rebounds, lead, and make a shot here and there. I'd like to see Lou get a bit tougher on the boards. But as I said, I'll take her as she is. Terrific scorer.

Reaction Score
If Lou isn't drafted in the WNBA first round, I'd be shocked. With her height, shooting stroke, finishing around the rim, toughness and now her emphasis on defense, there aren't many guards in this coming draft that has all she has

If Lou isn't drafted in the WNBA first round, I'd be shocked. With her height, shooting stroke, finishing around the rim, toughness and now her emphasis on defense, there aren't many guards in this coming draft that has all she has.
She should be on some te radar. She is playing better then most guards. I kno for sure if Zia Cook gets drafted as high the mock draft has her. Lou should be on a roster

Reaction Score
Where do the refs go after the half? There's a bit of delay before Geno's half time interview, and I assumed the refs like the players were long gone from the court by the time Holly asks her question and Geno answers it.
I seem to remember the UCONN announcers recently reporting that the referees' calls are reviewed at halftime. And that is why we see the officiating take drastic changes in the 2nd half.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree but she was red hot against a really tough team. She was hitting left and right. Didn't she score 10 points more than her season average. Also, didn't see shoot close to 70% in the game? She is shooting closer to 50% for the year I would think and that has a lot of very poor teams sprinkled in there. Her yearly total as very good but she was great in this game, on the road against a very long, quick good defensive team!

Lou raised her game a level against TN and I hope that she can keep it there. That is what I meant. Yes her primary job is to score - I just wish she could get a few more rebounds per game, especially on the offensive end. It wouldn't surprise me at all if NM is getting more rebounds than she is.

NM does her primary job and more, a lot more actually: dish, defense, grab rebounds, lead, and make a shot here and there. I'd like to see Lou get a bit tougher on the boards. But as I said, I'll take her as she is. Terrific scorer.
I don’t care about the shooting guard grabbing rebounds. She gets pinballed around enough already without banging bodies with post players.

Stay on the perimeter, Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger