Tennesse vs South Carolina | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tennesse vs South Carolina

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stanford has given up big leads multiple times and tend to go into a 1v1 stagnant offense at times. They are flawed like everyone else.
True, and they played a lot of games where they DID NOT not give up a big lead. Don't forget, the Cardinal played nine weeks on the road due to COVID-19 regulations in Santa Clara County. Would you want to play Stanford in the tournament? Most agree that no team is dominant and without flaw UConn included. Perhaps you’d rather play Louisville or Baylor. I like Stanford’s chances. You can't duck a team in the tournament. You play whoever is is front of you. All I'm saying is if Stanford is my next opponent, I wouldn't count on them collapsing in the final minutes of the game.

Only one team will win all 6 games. All of the other elites will lose somewhere along the way. I see Stanford making the great 8. Not sure after that. Too many other elite teams in the field that can win it all (see the link below). I would not count on Stanford giving up a big lead in a game in March if I had to play them. Not saying that Stanford wins it all, just that they are not going to beat themselves. It’s understood that every team has warts. It was not my intention to suggest they didn’t.

Why each women's college basketball team in the NCAA's top 16 could win the 2021 NCAA title

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just

1) SC hubris bites them in the tushy and
2) Dawn might be a wee bit overrated as a bench coach.

I really don't know many who believe she's a great bench coach.............she's a better motivator and recruiter than she is a strategist........that's why I was a bit surprised she got the Olympic team coaching spot............

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Spot on! This SC team with Boston is very much like the early Aja Wilson teams that were missing savvy guards who could shoot. It took transfers to fix that deficit.
The transfers would not have made a difference if their other big player had not gotten injured. That injury forced Dawn to change her offense and it worked for the better. The transfers were playing when UConn beat them earlier in the season and it was not a struggle.

Reaction Score
Davis called “soft” by her coach at halftime.

Staley says her pg struggles playing 40 minutes.

Davis is one of the most talented players in the country...........if she could ever add consistency to her game she would be unstoppable...........I was hoping she would transfer after last season and give Geno a chance..........

Reaction Score
So South Carolina goes on the road and blows one against a well-coached and improving Tennessee. What does that say about SC? About the same thing that the UConn loss at Arkansas said about UConn...not a lot. I get a kick out of the fact that as deep as Tennessee hatred runs on our forum, for a lot of folks it now seems to be replaced by Dawn hatred. This is particularly ironic because Dawn is, in so many ways, a female version of Geno! Folks just don't like such brash personality traits when they're exhibited by the female persuasion! As always, the double standard prevails!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A few observations about the game that I not seen previously mentioned. Jordan Horston was removed from the starting for this came and came of the bench probably because she played so poorly in the prior game against TA&M where she totaled 2 points. Clearly this lit a fire in Horston as she played very motivated from the jump and especially down the stretch. Good for her and very brave of Kellie to make this move.
Boston made her last FG of the game at the 7:02 of the 4Q which put SC up by 3. From that point to the end of the game she had 1 FG attempt and was noticeably out of gas.
Pet Peeve: Dawn Staley skillfully play the refs during this game. With TN up by 3 points and TN possession Dawn Twice made 3 consecutive subs (one at a time) and none of which were at the scorer's table prior to the officials being ready to inbound the ball. This allowed Dawn to see how TN was set up to break the press and to make switches to get in favorable SC match ups. The result was two consecutive turnovers for TN. I don't know why these refs were so tolerant of Dawn making these subs. At one point Dawn even had 6 players on the floor and took her time deciding who needed to come off as the refs were waiting. Unless the rule has changed a player needs to be at scorer's table prior to the ball being ready for play to be allowed to enter the game.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
So South Carolina goes on the road and blows one against a well-coached and improving Tennessee. What does that say about SC? About the same thing that the UConn loss at Arkansas said about UConn...not a lot. I get a kick out of the fact that as deep as Tennessee hatred runs on our forum, for a lot of folks it now seems to be replaced by Dawn hatred. This is particularly ironic because Dawn is, in so many ways, a female version of Geno! Folks just don't like such brash personality traits when they're exhibited by the female persuasion! As always, the double standard prevails!!
There are some folks that just don't like anybody. There are a lot of UConn fans that don't have any dislike or find fault with Dawn. Most of them don't take the time to express that in writing, but they do exist. What did Dawn do to us (UConn Nation) that would cause us to dislike her or wish her program any "ill-will"? You don't like the way she conducts or expresses herself in her pressers? I know we aren't THAT petty.

A question to anyone that dislikes Dawn: what do you want her to do? What did she do to incur your wrath? I see Dawn and her program as a friendly rival, and hope that our yearly home and home series with them continues indefinitely. Those are good games for both programs. These games draw and create lots of media and fan attention which is great for WCBB. Not to mention the sidebar benefits it produces for recruiting purposes.

Perhaps I missed something. I'm too concerned about our program to be worried or concerned about Dawn or anyone else. I've got blinders on! My focus is on UConn. We have zero influence over this or any other program. We have have an opinion, but in the grand scheme, what are those opinions worth? Do they influence anything or anyone? Does Dawn give a rip about what we (the Boneyard) think? :eek:

What Dawn is or is not doing can be a distraction if we allow it to. Let's focus on our team and the road before us. I want UConn to win the championship THIS YEAR!!! I don't want to become side tracked because I'm looking over my shoulder to see what South Carolina or any other program is doing. I'm content minding my own watch fires.

Remember what that great philosopher Satchel Paige used to say: "Don't look over your shoulder, something might be gaining on you."

Thought for the rest of the season: pedal to the metal, full speed ahead. Ask no quarter and give none. Let's see how far we can go. Let's win this thing. :cool:

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
SC was up by 16. Literally nobody to blame but themselves. Dawn doesn’t seem like a very good coach based on what I saw, which is surprising.
Up by 16, down by 16, what does it matter? The score was tied when they started the game and the order in which the points were scored doesn't matter. Which team has more points at the end, does.

Reaction Score
Sorta odd statement for a team we needed overtime to beat at home.
And let’s face it, some refs would’ve called a foul on that last play, meaning we lose.
I guess you can say that, but we did win and I believe we have more room to grow than they do. They cannot shoot. We will shoot better on most nights than the way we shot against them. I was confident we would beat them then and am confident we will beat them by even more the next time we play them. Unless someone gets unbelievably hot like the player from Arkansas, (we will beat them if we play them again also) then the only team that is equally as talented is Stanford and to a lesser degree Louisville. I personally don’t believe we lose to any other team other than those two, and I’m not so sure they can beat us. It’s just I believe against those two teams we have a less margin for errors.

Reaction Score
I watched the entire game. UT played well in the second half and wanted it more.

SC did not play well and again I saw Boston not be a focal point on offense but UT played very good defense against her. The SC guards were cold for the most part and couldn't open up the floor.

I've read some of the Dawn put downs and honestly wonder why. She's been successful and seems to run a great program. I admit to not being a fan of her banner from the ranking last year as it seems childish and her going on and on about her team not being able to participate got old because everyone was in the same boat. Despite that, she's built one of the best programs in the country and will likely continue to be successful for years to come.

UT would have rolled over and never fought in a game like this even last year under Harper. They have more fight in them and the talent of some players is starting to show, even if they haven't done it for 40 minutes. They won't be an easy out if they play to their full potential in the tournament.

Reaction Score
There are some folks that just don't like anybody. There are a lot of UConn fans that don't have any dislike or find fault with Dawn. Most of them don't take the time to express that in writing, but they do exist. What did Dawn do to us (UConn Nation) that would cause us to dislike her or wish her program any "ill-will"? You don't like the way she conducts or expresses herself in her pressers? I know we aren't THAT petty.

A question to anyone that dislikes Dawn: what do you want her to do? What did she do to incur your wrath? I see Dawn and her program as a friendly rival, and hope that our yearly home and home series with them continues indefinitely. Those are good games for both programs. These games draw and create lots of media and fan attention which is great for WCBB. Not to mention the sidebar benefits it produces for recruiting purposes.

Perhaps I missed something. I'm too concerned about our program to be worried or concerned about Dawn or anyone else. I've got blinders on! My focus is on UConn. We have zero influence over this or any other program. We have have an opinion, but in the grand scheme, what are those opinions worth? Do they influence anything or anyone? Does Dawn give a rip about what we (the Boneyard) think? :eek:

What Dawn is or is not doing can be a distraction if we allow it to. Let's focus on our team and the road before us. I want UConn to win the championship THIS YEAR!!! I don't want to become side tracked because I'm looking over my shoulder to see what South Carolina or any other program is doing. I'm content minding my own watch fires.

Remember what that great philosopher Satchel Paige used to say: "Don't look over your shoulder, something might be gaining on you."

Thought for the rest of the season: pedal to the metal, full speed ahead. Ask no quarter and give none. Let's see how far we can go. Let's win this thing. :cool:
I don't think you getting sidetracked or distracted by Staley or not is going to have any effect on how UConn performs throughout the rest of the season. I don't think they're too concerned about her. ;) ?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Frankly all of the teams in the top 10 are highly flawed.
Hold on, of the Top 10 teams are highly flawed. They all have “flaws” but none are highly flawed as they wouldn’t be a top team let alone a Top 10 team.

There are some teams that have significant more talent than others and have not reached their efficiency yet, either due to Covid-19 or due to lack of quality coaching that opens the door for any of these teams to get hot or peak at the right time to win it all.
I do not think anyone outside the Top 9 is winning it as the flaws on those teams is more egregious than the top 9.

Reaction Score
I asked this on general forum but didn't realize the main board also had thread for SC-UT.

Why did Beal play so little even when Rennia was hitting all her shots in the 2nd half? Russell was guarding Rennia and in prior games she barely played. I thought Beal was one of the main rotation players who plays heavy minutes

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don't think you getting sidetracked or distracted by Staley or not is going to have any effect on how UConn performs throughout the rest of the season. I don't think they're too concerned about her. ;) ?
Some fans seem to be. Why, I don't know. The team (Geno) is not, I agree. We've got approximately 13 games left
(4 conference, 3 conference tournament games and 6 NCAA tournament games) if we make it to the championship game. As die-hard UConn fans, we should concentrate on OUR business and those last 13 games. ;) How wonderful would it be if we could some how win those last six games? :rolleyes: We have as good a chance as any of the other elites. UConn Nation would be ecstatic and the BY would go crazy.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some fans seem to be. Why, I don't know. The team (Geno) is not, I agree. We've got approximately 13 games left
(4 conference, 3 conference tournament games and 6 NCAA tournament games) if we make it to the championship game. As die-hard UConn fans, we should concentrate on OUR business and those last 13 games. ;) How wonderful would it be if we could some how win those last six games? :rolleyes: We have as good a chance as any of the other elites. UConn Nation would be ecstatic and the BY would go crazy.
Just need to win the last game....?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW I also think it has a lot to do with matchups. Tennessee is a team that is very long at every position. That will give some teams trouble for various reasons. SC is a team that is very strong in the post and has shoot-first guards that will give teams trouble. Teams like UCONN and L'ville are more reliant on guard play and want to speed you up. Stanford doesn't seem like they want to speed anything up, but still stronger on guard play altho they have a freshman post who is doing pretty well.

I haven't see enough of aTm to make an intelligent observation on them (not that my observations are intelligent...). The point I'm making is that the genetics of certain teams might make them more, or less, susceptible to strengths of other teams. Team A might be able to consistently beat team B, who might be able to consistently beat team C, who might be able to consistently beat team A.

Then you have to account for teams/players having bad games. Paige had a pretty crap shooting night against Tennessee until the very end. UCONN had a pretty crap 3-point shooting night vs. SC. It would be one thing if all the shots were contested, but most of our 3 point shots were fairly open.

I do think, like most everyone else, that there's a lot of parity this year and no one team is head and shoulders above the rest. A lot will depend on the NCAA draw and regions. Frankly, I would like to play SC again in the NCAA's - maybe in the semi-finals. But who knows. Be careful what you wish for right? Maybe we will get lucky and we will have a L'ville upset Griner/Baylor semifinal type scenario, and get a NC game against a team we match up well against!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I think the bigger question is: Why is SC struggling so much (relatively speaking) compared to last year's team, which went 32-1, even while starting 3 freshmen?

The answer is pretty clear: the losses of Herbert Harrigan and, even more so, Harris--despite Harrison very good year, have been very hard for the team to adjust to, and they seem to lack the leadership/killer instinct teams need to be truly great. That could change, but doesn't seem like the team has gelled the way it needs to yet.

Also, someone else mentioned that Dawn only recruits certain types of players. There is a difference between the types of players Dawn recruits and those who decide to come to SC. For example, I know she very much wanted to land Diamond Johnson, who is currently 2nd in the NCAA in 3-pt FG percentage (to Paige).

Reaction Score
Sorta odd statement for a team we needed overtime to beat at home.
And let’s face it, some refs would’ve called a foul on that last play, meaning we lose.
And some refs would have called a foul on them earlier...

Having just watched the SC/UT replay, neither team was impressive. Great athletes by suspect basketball skills especially at guard.

So, with UConn defense amping up, neither team appears as dangerous as they had seemed earlier in the season.

I have not seen the Baylor or PAC12 guards nor Haley Van Lith this year, but I really like our guard trio. And I agree with the notion that the tournament demands great guard play.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
No, we are all cheering for Tennessee. No one hates them now.
Saturday Night Live Snl GIF

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think the bigger question is: Why is SC struggling so much (relatively speaking) compared to last year's team, which went 32-1, even while starting 3 freshmen?

The answer is pretty clear: the losses of Herbert Harrigan and, even more so, Harris--despite Harrison very good year, have been very hard for the team to adjust to, and they seem to lack the leadership/killer instinct teams need to be truly great. That could change, but doesn't seem like the team has gelled the way it needs to yet.

Also, someone else mentioned that Dawn only recruits certain types of players. There is a difference between the types of players Dawn recruits and those who decide to come to SC. For example, I know she very much wanted to land Diamond Johnson, who is currently 2nd in the NCAA in 3-pt FG percentage (to Paige).
SC’s struggles are all about Harris moving on to the pros. Their half court offense gets stuck at times, something that seldom happened last season with Harris at pg. If you slow down SC’s transition offense like UConn, LSU & TN each were able to do over the last 3 games, the Gamecocks are in trouble.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Spot on! This SC team with Boston is very much like the early Aja Wilson teams that were missing savvy guards who could shoot. It took transfers to fix that deficit.
Next year from what I can see, Dawn has recruited pretty much more of the same: Great athletes that can run the floor. It appears that Johnson may (or may not) be a good shooter. To me she looks a lot like Zia Cooke and that means the pass is secondary. Rivers is going to have to prove she can be a consistent shooter from the perimeter, but she does have some size.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Tough watching Dawn in the post game presser. Very fidgety, seems like she had peanut butter stuck on the roof of her mouth. Watch her continuous facial expressions.
Sometimes watching Geno pre and post game interviews is equally as annoying with his many pauses, nose squeezes, sniffs and throat clearings. Dawn's team however was affected more by the UConn loss than we realized, and after both games she looked shell shocked and close to tears. This loss to UT she called "devastating".

Carnac

Reaction Score
FWIW I also think it has a lot to do with matchups. Tennessee is a team that is very long at every position. That will give some teams trouble for various reasons. SC is a team that is very strong in the post and has shoot-first guards that will give teams trouble. Teams like UCONN and L'ville are more reliant on guard play and want to speed you up. Stanford doesn't seem like they want to speed anything up, but still stronger on guard play altho they have a freshman post who is doing pretty well.

I haven't see enough of aTm to make an intelligent observation on them (not that my observations are intelligent...). The point I'm making is that the genetics of certain teams might make them more, or less, susceptible to strengths of other teams. Team A might be able to consistently beat team B, who might be able to consistently beat team C, who might be able to consistently beat team A.

Then you have to account for teams/players having bad games. Paige had a pretty crap shooting night against Tennessee until the very end. UCONN had a pretty crap 3-point shooting night vs. SC. It would be one thing if all the shots were contested, but most of our 3 point shots were fairly open.

I do think, like most everyone else, that there's a lot of parity this year and no one team is head and shoulders above the rest. A lot will depend on the NCAA draw and regions. Frankly, I would like to play SC again in the NCAA's - maybe in the semi-finals. But who knows. Be careful what you wish for right? Maybe we will get lucky and we will have a L'ville upset Griner/Baylor semifinal type scenario, and get a NC game against a team we match up well against!
Right!!! That is why your draw in the bracket is so important. Every year it seems like some #1 seeds have an easier path to the FF than others. You hope like the dickens you don't draw certain teams you don't match up well with. Every team wants to advance as far as they can. Of course, you don't pick your bracket, you play the next team up and try to play your best game of the tournament to that point.

Suffice it to say no team wants to draw a top 5 team early on. I remember a player saying during a media interview (during the Stewart era) that while watching the tournament selection show, the one thing she and her team were hoping for was that they were not put in UConn's bracket. She said they didn't care who else thay had to play. It may have been the year that UConn was undefeated. If the dice are rolling your way, they will be eliminated before you can see them. If not, you just roll up your sleeves, tighten your belt and handle your business.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Man, there are times when some Boneyard threads sound a lot like the pre-teen bitch sessions I lived through as a 12 year old. Stop with the personal insults and dopey name-calling. Just stop. It’s embarrassing as a UConn fan to see that stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom