Temple - flavor of the week? | The Boneyard

Temple - flavor of the week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm shocked to see all the love Temple is getting. It seems as though they are that chick you always ignored at the bar, but suddenly you're prepared (desperate) to put the moves on her. Maybe we're all getting a bit drunk on conference realignment.

I feel many are giving way to much importance to that Maryland result. How is Temple any different than the team we ridiculed for the last decade? Their results are decent, but their stadium situation, facilities, fan base, media coverage is still the same.

Remember when Marshall was the hot name during the Leftwitch/Pennington years? Luckily our WVU brothers slapped some sense into us. Memphis was always talked about as the 9th member when their football program was decent and basketball was top notch. Now they are hardly in the conversation.

Whatever the Big East decides to do I pray its not based on a few resunt results. For me the acid test would be how would a program fare if they had back to back losing seasons. Would the media coverage, attendance, institutional support, rivalries still be the same?

Reaction Score
Whatever the Big East decides to do I pray its not based on a few resunt results. For me the acid test would be how would a program fare if they had back to back losing seasons. Would the media coverage, attendance, institutional support, rivalries still be the same?

Must have been the ACCs test of BCU. No support before, no support after.

Reaction Score
With regards to your "fat chick" analogy, sometimes .c. has an epiphany & decides that it's time to take care of herself. How many times have you heard the story about the guy who divorces his overweight wife for a new slimmed down model, the ex starts going to the gym, & a year later the guy sees his ex & "suddenly" she looks hot. Or the story of the former stunner who stops taking care of herself & is suffers public embarrassment & decides that it's time to take care of herself. Jillian Michaels has made a career out of training the "Biggest Loser" (she once was a butterball herself). Just this week, Kirstie Alley graced the cover of People Magazine. She's lost over 100 lbs. & looks great. Her epiphany was her appearance on Dancing with the Stars & she's decided that it's high time for a lifestyle change. Now back to Temple U. They were furious that they were unceremoniously ejected from the Big East. They got their house in order for themselves & started taking FBS football seriously. They have facilities & their hoops program is legendary. If they are the now attactive ex-"fat chick", it's been done on their own merit.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but the fat chick (Temple) still has those unappealing rolls (low interest) and stretch marks (exaggerated attendance).

Reaction Score
hoops program is legendary? you might be getting a little carried away there, but more importantly their football program has had a couple of good hires in a row and if a school is institutionally committed they can turn around a football program. Rutgers has turned their program around, and the Temple we played the last few years were good teams. stadium-wise their in an NFL stadium, and they're in a great TV market, which we may not have anymore if we split with the bball schools. and their bball program more than holds their own in terms of quality and history.

plus to further the fat girl analogy, we just got turned down by a couple of rather homely girls that think they're hotter than they are, so our confidence is shot.

Reaction Score
I think Temple's brand always had potential and still does. Had they been an all sports member of the Big East I think they would have been much more relevant today. Some of these markets, like ours, do not embrace something perceived to be small time. Football only in the Big East is small time but had they been playing BE hoops all those years they could have been perceived in a much more major light.

Reaction Score
You guys are spending way too much time getting shot down in bars. Join a dating service!
Nope. Happily married for 27 years to my dream girl. Wouldn't trade her for anyone. She's my raison d'etre.

Reaction Score
Nope. Happily married for 27 years to my dream girl. Wouldn't trade her for anyone. She's my raison d'etre.
Then stop talking about fat girls in bars!!!!!;)

Reaction Score
I think Temple's brand always had potential and still does. Had they been an all sports member of the Big East I think they would have been much more relevant today. Some of these markets, like ours, do not embrace something perceived to be small time. Football only in the Big East is small time but had they been playing BE hoops all those years they could have been perceived in a much more major light.
This is my view, too. I'm not saying they necessarily would have been Penn State but I suspect they'd have been a reasonable football program and an upper echelon basketball program...they're a Top 25-30 program as it is, and likely in the Big East would have been among the league powers. Obviously there's no way to prove that, but it seems at least plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom