OT: Tell me about your chickens. | The Boneyard

OT: Tell me about your chickens.

Reaction Score
Clearing out some space in the backyard and getting rid of an old playset and a dilapidated shed. Thinking of putting a chicken coop back there.

Pros: I have the space. I like to cook. The thought of fresh eggs is a plus. I'm not a pet person, so if a hawk plucks one up? I don't care. I would even eat them after they get past the laying stage.
Cons: I'm not a pet person. These are working birds for me. They'll be clean, well fed and cared for....but it won't be the Taj Mahal.

How easy is it to manage 3-4 chickens? How expensive? What are the things that I'm clearly missing?

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
My neighbors have some and I'm jealous at times thinking about the fresh eggs. They let them out during the day and the birds wander maybe 100 feet away up and down the street, on their own, pecking at the ground. They eat ticks and other bugs, so there's another for the list of pro's. We had them when I was a kid and it was basically feed them and make sure they're locked up at night. You might lose one to coyotes, foxes or even neighborhood dogs. Figure out a way to keep them warm enough in winter.

Reaction Score
We are in southern New Hampshire and bought birds to appease the wife, who thinks we have a farm (we have a barn and some land) and felt that chickens were the thing to get. Up until then, we would go 1/4 mile up road to get eggs from someone else who raised them, nice eggs at $3/dozen.. We bought a cold weather variety called Canadian Chantecler; they are all white, if that matters. We got 30 and picked them up from the breeder (he was in New York state), and he gave a couple extra so we had 33 total. They were supposed to be roughly half boys/half girls, and when they were a year old or so, we found a young couple who slaughtered animals and wanted to get into processing chickens to come to our place and they killed, plucked and packed into plastic 23 of the boys (we had 24 boys and 9 girls, not the half/half we expected). The birds looked big due to lots of feathers, but killed and in freezer, they weigh about 4 pounds each. Usually, I cook them in a crockpot and we get a few meals from each cooked bird.
We got some electric fencing and set it up with solar charger and battery but birds would still get out sometimes, I guess we should have clipped their wings, but I don't know how to do that, so we'd spend time chasing them back into fenced area. During winter, we get more snow, the electric fencing would short out and we just started letting the birds roam free. Just before Christmas, our 10 birds were out as usual, and I came home from work to find that 5 birds had been attacked and killed, and we had 5 left. A neighbor said we must have had weasel as two dead birds had heads missing- body was still there- and supposedly that is what weasels do- never found the other three. So, we moved the coop into the garage and kept the remaining 5 birds in it for a couple of months. Finally, we started letting them out after we came home from work so we could watch them. Now with the weather warming and sun setting later, plus I am working from home, the birds go out around noon, and I check on them every hour or so. When dusk starts to occur, the birds go back by themselves into the coop, and we close it up with hook so it is locked. One bird died a month ago so we now have four- not sure what happened to bird, it was out with others at one check, and 1 hour later, it was upside down with feet in air with other birds pecking nearby as if nothing happened. Oh well, animals die I guess.
We do get eggs, about 2-3 a day from the four birds we have. Nice white eggs, sometimes the shape is a little weird, the yolk is rich yellow/orange. We give them organic layer pellets, and I don't think we are saving any money from when we were just buying from the neighbor, but in some ways it is fun having the birds. But, we have to make plans for other people to care for them if we go away. Also, when the birds are outside, we have to check on them every so often. We probably will set up the electric fencing so the birds won't be in coop all the time unless we let them out, and also we won't have to check on them each hour or two. Also, there is a lot of chicken poop everywhere and we have to be careful walking in the yard. The grass gets greener, but we can't just walk casually about either without looking where we step.
Were it up to me, I'd let other people raise chickens and I'd just buy the eggs from them- I think the birds are a lot of work, they aren't saving us any money, at some point you have to kill and pluck them to eat them, and they intrude in our schedule. But, they do give us eggs, they do make our life "richer" or more full in some ways, and we appreciate more all the work that all farmers and people who work in the food industry do for us.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Were it up to me, I'd let other people raise chickens and I'd just buy the eggs from them-
This is what we do. My wife works with a woman who raises chickens. We get three dozen from her every two weeks. All different shapes and colors, including the ones with the light green shells that are usually my favorites. Definitely prefer them all to normal grocery store eggs.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Clearing out some space in the backyard and getting rid of an old playset and a dilapidated shed. Thinking of putting a chicken coop back there.

Pros: I have the space. I like to cook. The thought of fresh eggs is a plus. I'm not a pet person, so if a hawk plucks one up? I don't care. I would even eat them after they get past the laying stage.
Cons: I'm not a pet person. These are working birds for me. They'll be clean, well fed and cared for....but it won't be the Taj Mahal.

How easy is it to manage 3-4 chickens? How expensive? What are the things that I'm clearly missing?

Oh please, please get chickens.

The boneyard needs this in our lives.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

If you're thinking of housing and caring for 3-4 chickens, you might as well do 8-10 birds. The marginal difference in extra effort for twice the returns is something you should think about.

One fringe benefit is you won't have to worry about ticks, grubs, or a host of other bugs because chickens eat them as if they were candy.

If you also get a goose, you'll never have to worry about any other wild animal entering your property ever again, keeping the chickens safe in the process. That might be too much commitment for you however.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
My friend has had chickens for about a dozen years, usually 3-6 at any one time. He keeps them near his kitchen with the coop under a deck, and just throws them stuff off the deck that would otherwise go into the compost, no store bought food. He gets 2-4 eggs a day for very little work.

Reaction Score
Whatever you do don’t get a rooster in there, your neighbors will revolt.
Worse than a constantly barking dog, and I've lived next to both.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Agree. This will be one of those things we talk about years from now. "Remember when @Deepster decided to raise chickens?"

#deepsterchickenthread
It does have a feeling similar to that thread about mowing baby bunnies. Who was it who did that?

Reaction Score
Our neighbors have about a dozen. We have a tight knit neighborhood of 5 houses and we all give them our compost minus the things chickens can’t eat. You’d be surprise what chickens will eat! They give us all eggs. The eggs are much better tasting than the organic pasture raised eggs we buy at the store with deep orange yolks for $7/dozen.

One was recently taken down by a fox despite then having a burly pit bull (he was inside going batsh!t when the fox attacked), one lost to a hawk and two just up and died.
We love the eggs and usually walk over everyday to feed them our scraps in person. They come running and it’s really nice participating in raising food. We take turns Taking care of them when they go out of town....back in the day when people went out of town.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just read that chickens will eat mushrooms but you should cook and dice them first to aid digestion.

Reaction Score
Chickens are subject to sickness/disease b/c they eat their own poop. I think you'd have to like something about the caretaking 'farming' aspect of it to make it worth putting up with. I 1000% agree it'd make for interesting anecdotes.

Reaction Score

The one thing that I would recommend is that you order 6-8 birds from a reputable place, such as Mypetchicken.com. You can specify hens and not have to worry about getting a Rooster. I have 10 birds and it costs less than $10/wk in feed them, as long as you let them free range as well. Living in New England, make sure that you get a cold hardy bird and insulate the coop. Make sure to have 2 windows in order to get a cross breeze in the summer.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate the creativity of raccoons. They will study chicken habits for day/week and make their way in doing as little noticeable cutting through wire, etc. as possible. Then in 1 night they hit the mother load. Ingenious creatures.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom