Team using summer workouts to prepare for intensity and pressure of Big East | The Boneyard

Team using summer workouts to prepare for intensity and pressure of Big East

Reaction Score
Media was at practice today.

“There’s a lot of intense coaching and demanding of players to compete a certain way. So just preparing these guys for that environment. Try to make the game as easy for them as possible by making practices as hard as possible,” Hurley said.

Alternate free link:

UConn men’s basketball using summer workouts to prepare for intensity and pressure of Big East

Reaction Score
I think DC needs to be on the thinner side kinda like Josh Carlton plays better thinner… they both need that foot speed to be effective… if you watch DCs last couple games he’s much more quicker with the weight lose

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think DC needs to be on the thinner side kinda like Josh Carlton plays better thinner… they both need that foot speed to be effective… if you watch DCs last couple games he’s much more quicker with the weight lose
Also less likely to get injured that way.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Clingan, who has lost weight and feels much lighter on the court, added, “It fits me well, I love (Hurley’s) intensity. I love the way he coaches, you know, he wants to win and I want to win and that’s what it’s all about.
:D

Reaction Score
“You create practice plans to expose them to very challenging situations,“ Hurley said. “And then when they want to give in or be soft, you fight with them and don’t allow them to be. It’s a tough process. … You kind of fight for their souls a little bit.

“When they want to go under a screen or to not be connected defensively to the man that they’re guarding at the point of attack, and they give in and give an inch or more, you demand that they not do that the next possession or the next eight possessions or the next 10 possessions because our games are going to come down in our league and when we play our high leverage games, there are going to be one or two possession games.”

“So, one or two possessions of being soft and weak-minded gets you beat.”

Alternate free link:

UConn’s Hurley enjoying the intensity of summer workouts

Reaction Score

Imagine coming in to your dream school after playing in CT your whole life, excited as ever, and then Adama Sanogo routinely destroys your whole life every possession because you’re still too slow and clunky.

I haven’t seen the practice tapes but based on appearances alone, Clingan has taken that to heart. Already looks like he’s transforming his body to be more effective at the college level. You love to see it.

Reaction Score
My favorite little bit of info about Donovan this summer was how he was watching video of Kalkbrenner and thinking about how he would approach defending him. I don’t know what his adjustment to the college game will be like, but I do know he’s going to work hard and not waste his talent. That’s all I can ask of these guys.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
DC sounds ready. If he plays well early this team will be substantially better.
Getting my hopes up:)
We’ve got a lot of new and interesting pieces this year and the tendency is to presume that all of them will immediately click and perform at their highest possible levels. That’s probably unrealistic, but we all do it. I do like the pieces though and I’m looking forward to seeing us play.

Reaction Score
We’ve got a lot of new and interesting pieces this year and the tendency is to presume that all of them will immediately click and perform at their highest possible levels. That’s probably unrealistic, but we all do it. I do like the pieces though and I’m looking forward to seeing us play.
I agree. It's kind of like when the Yankees or Red Sox reload via free agency - if you bring in 4 new major pieces usually you get two of them to perform at/above expectation and 2 just slightly below or worse. In basketball, it's going to be all about roster fit as well so hopefully we hit at or above expectations with half or more of our newcomers.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see him as a Travis Knight type in a year or two.

He averaged 9/9/2/2 as a senior with a pretty good foul line jumper and good passing ability. Ended up a 1st round pick.

Reaction Score
My favorite little bit of info about Donovan this summer was how he was watching video of Kalkbrenner and thinking about how he would approach defending him. I don’t know what his adjustment to the college game will be like, but I do know he’s going to work hard and not waste his talent. That’s all I can ask of these guys.
Approaching defending a guy like how Kalk did will help Donovan defensively, while also helping Adama by giving him some looks that he’ll likely see this upcoming season.

Win-Win

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I agree. It's kind of like when the Yankees or Red Sox reload via free agency - if you bring in 4 new major pieces usually you get two of them to perform at/above expectation and 2 just slightly below or worse. In basketball, it's going to be all about roster fit as well so hopefully we hit at or above expectations with half or more of our newcomers.
Hopefully the sea change in coaching will lift all boats;)

Reaction Score

I just hope Hurley reloads better than Cashman :eek:

Reaction Score
Another one on Clingan.

“I definitely feel different moving up and down the floor, just a little more explosive and quicker off my feet,” Clingan said. “I feel like I’m quicker than I was. I’m down to 265; that’s my goal. My goal is just to get stronger now.”

Alternate free link:

Clingan slim and fit as he prepares for freshman season

Reaction Score
Hurley says Karaban is competing for a starting spot. He’s such a good shooter a smart player a skilled player and he wants to be really good, really bad and he’s going to be great, Hurley said his work ethic is off the charts

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom