2023 Recruiting: - Taylor Bol Bowen | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Taylor Bol Bowen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As Chief mentioned elsewhere, June will be a busy month. Lots of visits and the summer circuit starts up again.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
As Mr. French said elsewhere, we’re prioritizing good players that can score and rebound. Time for Mr. French to break out the scouting reports to send to coach, he always appreciates Mr. French’s input!

We’ll get to blazing and put together our target list together, expect updates soon, as mentioned elsewhere, once Mr. French has a chance to talk to coach in person.

Reaction Score
He’s really special. Insane ceiling. Stay on him
Agree. Getting in early is extremely important to landing top level talent.
Staff needs to stay in constant contact with him.
He will be receiving a lot of offers so with him being local the staff needs to put the full court press on him.

Reaction Score
Anyone know the backstory of how he ended up in Newport after being born in Egypt?
Evidently, he was raised in Jericho, VT, not Newport - although Newport is really the perfect backdrop for religious freedom in America for a refugee from Egypt. Parents had to give him up for adoption. Sounds like Taylor is focused. Lots of resolve. Says his brother is on UVM’s roster....

Reaction Score
As Mr. French said elsewhere, we’re prioritizing good players that can score and rebound. Time for Mr. French to break out the scouting reports to send to coach, he always appreciates Mr. French’s input!

We’ll get to blazing and put together our target list together, expect updates soon, as mentioned elsewhere, once Mr. French has a chance to talk to coach in person.

Mau says thank you Mr French!

15743f400dcf71eaf0815258526a9a82.jpg

Reaction Score
Anyone know the backstory of how he ended up in Newport after being born in Egypt?

I read an interview last year but I can't find it now.

First he went to Vermont as part of the refugee resettlement program. His parents are probably Sudanese but he was born in a camp.

He doesn't go into details but says eventually his parents couldn't take care of him so he was adopted.

But he seems to still be close with family. Both brothers were college ball players (st. Lawrence and UVM).

Reaction Score

14 PTS
4 REB (offensive)
2 AST (5 potential / 0 foul)

5 TO
2 STL
2 BLK

3/6 2FG
2/8 3FG
2/3 FT

• Did not do very well guarding their traditional big man--makes sense he’s probably only 180lbs right now. Still young--not concerned. Looked a lot better when switched on their big wing defensively.
  • Release is a little low on his shot, but his footwork and balance seem really good for his age. I don’t think raising his set point a couple inches and making his shot almost perfect will be too hard at all if he puts his mind to it during the off-season at Brewster.
  • Took a couple of dumb shots. He’s got “best player on an ok team, but not good enough to be ‘the man’ vibes”... makes sense why he’s going to another school. Not sure there’s much more he could’ve done at St. George.
  • Contests and makes a LOT of perimeter shots really difficult with his length.
  • Not strong enough yet to get to the rim and draw contact… ends up taking the floater or jumper now. But it looks like he has the handles to start getting to the rim once his body catches up to his game.
  • I really appreciate his coach for not forcing him to be a post… all this perimeter experience is going to serve him well.
  • I don’t want to come across as calling every tall skinny black kid “an Akok clone” but honestly… he plays a lot like Akok at this age, but with more handles and a better J. Shotblocker, 3 point shooter, versatile defender. Skinny, can’t get to the rim. Dunks everything. Athletic. Not a great passer. Limited in the half court. It’s uncanny.
  • His defensive presence is scaring these kids. Not quite the shotblocker Akok is or was… but he’s got some length for sure.
  • Would like to see him develop his arsenal at the rim… love that he’s a 3 point shooter, but not the amoutn he’s taking. On GOOD shots, he shot 50% from 3. He missed a couple head scratchers.
  • Two of the TOs were very early--first three possessions-ish, but he settled in nicely after that I thought.
  • Sat a big stretch of the 3rd with foul trouble.
  • Had to sit the last 5 minutes of the 4th because of some poor decision-making.

Block
St. Andrew's Sc vs. St. George's High Varsity Mens' Basketball

2 dribble pull up

Rebound, end-to-end dribble and the left hand lay-in

First quarter buzzer beater! Looks like the ref counted it… probably shouldn’t have though.

Foul drawn

Forcing the travel with solid D

HOT DAMN what a poster….

Rebound and the long assist

Easy assist

Forcing the travel

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I read an interview last year but I can't find it now.

First he went to Vermont as part of the refugee resettlement program. His parents are probably Sudanese but he was born in a camp.

He doesn't go into details but says eventually his parents couldn't take care of him so he was adopted.

But he seems to still be close with family. Both brothers were college ball players (st. Lawrence and UVM).
Definitely Sudanese with the name Bol, South Sudanese these days, almost surely Nuer ethnicity. Lots of Sudanese refugees have been resettled to the U.S. - the lost boys are the most well known group. What is the What (David Eggers) is good fiction about them, and plenty of non-fiction about the horror of their trek to Ethiopia.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I've been hearing that around 3 weeks into June, the daylight hours will start getting shorter each day for a while. Can you confirm? TIA

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I've been hearing that around 3 weeks into June, the daylight hours will start getting shorter each day for a while. Can you confirm? TIA

Only thing Mr. French knows about June is that’s when the eyeball tests will start with the live period, and Mr. French hopes CT is less strict with the mask mandates to compete with SEC schools. I’ll keep you updated.

Reaction Score
I live 15 minutes from Jericho and follow high school basketball pretty close but have never heard of him. I will speak to people in the area who have more connections than me and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom