Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread | Page 48 | The Boneyard

Official Syracuse Unintended Hilarity Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I thought with Gampel they just crammed more seats in where they hadn't planned on having seats. Adding seats to the hockey rink later doesn't sound like expansion. It just sounds like adding seats later to finish the job.
Nah, in Gampel, 1.0 you could see where the seats would go in the corners. It’s the same thing with Toscano. I’m in 100% agreement with you. It is a dumb and inefficient way to do business, but it is “the Connecticut way.”

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The original contention I am replying to was that hockey was more worthwhile than football, and football was blamed for us (the entire athletic department) languishing in the AAC.

We of course were in the AAC due to football, but the hoops program falling on its face was less due to the conference affiliation but rather having a HC that was uninterested in running a basketball program.

The hockey endeavor seems half baked, as it's another cost to an athletic department that's underwater, they play in a Mickey mouse "barn" and even if they win the national title... Who really cares? A FBS program is our only way into a P5 so I'm not sure why we haven't thrown our full weight behind that is really my point.
That and Hockey is in its own dedicated conference and in no way contributes to realignment unless UConn gets a Big Ten invite, in which case, uprooting from Hockey East would be a no brainer for the good of the Athletic Department, as a whole.

Reaction Score
Big ten needs another hockey team, heard on XM college sports the Big ten is looking at ASU joining as a hockey only.

Reaction Score
This post has 62 likes

“For years I've questioned why my interest has faded. I'm mostly a MBball fan but lurked on the FBall board enough to understand the power dynamics in the system that made it difficult for a program in SU's position to build into a consistent winner. The new transfer rules added a level of instability that makes building a program all the more difficult. The NIL set up a system that benefits the power players even more while continuing the destabilization of the whole system. I naively assumed that the SU bball brand/history would be able to slip through. Not that it would get back to BE prime powerhouse days but that it would be relevant each year and a ranked team most years.

“That said I've been steadily losing interest for many years. Lately I've realized that the college athletics system is collapsing. I'm not sure how much longer it will last. I guess top level fball is still holding it together. I'm not a huge college fball fan though and couldn't tell you if the product has declined. I can however say that the college bball product is wretched compared to what it once was. Its a result of many things all of which convince me that the system is crashing. Even when I watch two top10 teams square off I don't find it entertaining. It doesn't hold my attention. Watching an SU game used to be an enjoyable ride win or lose. Then it became a fence sitting activity where I was hoping to avoid seeing a loss that would make me question the future of the program. Then it was a chore. Finally it got to a point where it didn't move me either way which in the end is like freedom. Perhaps I'm just a bad fan, but I have many fond memories that I wouldn't give up. I just have nothing for modern college athletics. Even if SU had flourished during this time I feel like it would have just put off the inevitability of the place I've ended up in. It doesn't mean as much to win a NC anymore and it means less with every passing year.

“Anyways I think we are seeing a slow death of the system. Eventually when you lose enough eyes and interest the money will dwindle. I haven't done any research but I would guess this has already started. I would also say that a smaller percentage of young people are sports fans as they grow up which means a smaller demographic to pull from for long term fans. So as older fans lose interest, age out or pass on the whole pool shrinks. Much like legacy media has been fading away as the last few generations have grown up with the internet/options/instant gratification.”

Reaction Score
This post has 62 likes

“For years I've questioned why my interest has faded. I'm mostly a MBball fan but lurked on the FBall board enough to understand the power dynamics in the system that made it difficult for a program in SU's position to build into a consistent winner. The new transfer rules added a level of instability that makes building a program all the more difficult. The NIL set up a system that benefits the power players even more while continuing the destabilization of the whole system. I naively assumed that the SU bball brand/history would be able to slip through. Not that it would get back to BE prime powerhouse days but that it would be relevant each year and a ranked team most years.

“That said I've been steadily losing interest for many years. Lately I've realized that the college athletics system is collapsing. I'm not sure how much longer it will last. I guess top level fball is still holding it together. I'm not a huge college fball fan though and couldn't tell you if the product has declined. I can however say that the college bball product is wretched compared to what it once was. Its a result of many things all of which convince me that the system is crashing. Even when I watch two top10 teams square off I don't find it entertaining. It doesn't hold my attention. Watching an SU game used to be an enjoyable ride win or lose. Then it became a fence sitting activity where I was hoping to avoid seeing a loss that would make me question the future of the program. Then it was a chore. Finally it got to a point where it didn't move me either way which in the end is like freedom. Perhaps I'm just a bad fan, but I have many fond memories that I wouldn't give up. I just have nothing for modern college athletics. Even if SU had flourished during this time I feel like it would have just put off the inevitability of the place I've ended up in. It doesn't mean as much to win a NC anymore and it means less with every passing year.

“Anyways I think we are seeing a slow death of the system. Eventually when you lose enough eyes and interest the money will dwindle. I haven't done any research but I would guess this has already started. I would also say that a smaller percentage of young people are sports fans as they grow up which means a smaller demographic to pull from for long term fans. So as older fans lose interest, age out or pass on the whole pool shrinks. Much like legacy media has been fading away as the last few generations have grown up with the internet/options/instant gratification.”
They are so broken it is glorious. UConn dominated all takers in its run to the Championship and it was pure joy. The SU fans were ecstatic about getting ACC bags of cash and strangely enough were even more happy about UConn's imminent demise. And yet, UConn is winning rings and SU is wretched. Everything backfired and crushed the orange and now they just don't know how to deal. Enjoy the ride folks, and drink up!

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
They are so broken it is glorious. UConn dominated all takers in its run to the Championship and it was pure joy. The SU fans were ecstatic about getting ACC bags of cash and strangely enough were even more happy about UConn's imminent demise. And yet, UConn is winning rings and SU is wretched. Everything backfired and crushed the orange and now they just don't know how to deal. Enjoy the ride folks, and drink up!

Yup that post is by a long time poster there, and is an absolute sign that they have reached the terminal stage and are ready for hospice.

THe rationalization that the problem isn't with their own program but with the sport itself and the sport itself is to blame for their problems is so great.

Reaction Score
Yup that post is by a long time poster there, and is an absolute sign that they have reached the terminal stage and are ready for hospice.

THe rationalization that the problem isn't with their own program but with the sport itself and the sport itself is to blame for their problems is so great.
Lmao yes those type of posts demonstrate why we need this thread. Favorite line:

“It doesn't mean as much to win a NC anymore and it means less with every passing year.”

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Wow! I’m not going lie, it’s actually a little sad to see that fan base so broken.

“I'm sure some of you miss the original Big East, too. I miss home & home scheduling in basketball. I miss the notion that if I want to go to an away game, with few exceptions, they were a comfortable drive away. I miss playing everyone in the conference in football. Fellow conference members ought not to be a half a continent away
.”

4C30EE40-147D-4D52-A6C6-418F847D1225.jpeg

B07B4285-740A-4948-984C-857A039791B8.jpeg

Reaction Score
"Honestly, the better scenario for us may be for GT to join the Maggity Seven and dissolve the ACC. Let 4 teams go to each of B1G and SEC. Let the rest of us get on with our program lives, without an avalanche hanging over our heads".

Cuse'91

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger