Sylvia Fowles Last Home Game Tonight | The Boneyard

Sylvia Fowles Last Home Game Tonight

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am glad they are televising on ESPN2 (9PM)

Nice article in the Star Tribue

Looks like they will send her off the right way

After the Lynx finish their game with Seattle — a team that includes Sue Bird, another member of what might be the WNBA's greatest generation, who also has announced her retirement — the Lynx will honor Fowles.

It will be a celebration of a career and a life.

"I have mixed emotions,'' Fowles said. "This being my last game at home I want to have fun, focus on getting a playoff spot. I want to be respectful of the people coming out to support me, people who love me. I'm looking to have a good time, let my emotions flow."

Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve was more direct: "Because the game has so much significance, before and during the game it will be business as usual. After the game we'll all be a hot mess.''

Reaction Score
I'm a little disappointed in how ESPN is promoting it, based on the commercials and in-show promos I've seen. It's been more about Bird than Fowles, even though the game is at Minnesota. Even with NBA Today, which is primarily hosted by women, it seems to be overlooked from my view.

They're missing a great opportunity at promoting both Fowles and Bird during this game. They have a history as both team mates and rivals that spans well over a decade. This is a piece of WNBA history that helps to promote the league in a great way in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I am glad they are televising on ESPN2 (9PM)

Nice article in the Star Tribue

Looks like they will send her off the right way

After the Lynx finish their game with Seattle — a team that includes Sue Bird, another member of what might be the WNBA's greatest generation, who also has announced her retirement — the Lynx will honor Fowles.

It will be a celebration of a career and a life.

"I have mixed emotions,'' Fowles said. "This being my last game at home I want to have fun, focus on getting a playoff spot. I want to be respectful of the people coming out to support me, people who love me. I'm looking to have a good time, let my emotions flow."

Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve was more direct: "Because the game has so much significance, before and during the game it will be business as usual. After the game we'll all be a hot mess.''
I think that it would be cool if some of her former teammates (Moore, Augustus, Brunson, Whalen, etc.) would be at the Target Center to honor Mama Syl. She certainly deserves it -- still playing at a very high level, but conducts herself so admirably on and off the court.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think that it would be cool if some of her former teammates (Moore, Augustus, Brunson, Whalen, etc.) would be at the Target Center to honor Mama Syl. She certainly deserves it -- still playing at a very high level, but conducts herself so admirably on and off the court.
I would hope Maya would come but she seems to have removed herself from basketball completely.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'm a little disappointed in how ESPN is promoting it, based on the commercials and in-show promos I've seen. It's been more about Bird than Fowles, even though the game is at Minnesota. Even with NBA Today, which is primarily hosted by women, it seems to be overlooked from my view.

They're missing a great opportunity at promoting both Fowles and Bird during this game. They have a history as both team mates and rivals that spans well over a decade. This is a piece of WNBA history that helps to promote the league in a great way in my opinion.
100%. Fowles is a league MVP, Finals MVP, has won multiple championships, 4 gold medals, and is the WNBA career leader in rebounds and FG%, 3rd in blocks and 10th in scoring. Bird has gotten a lot of attention and hoopla all summer for it being her last year, but Fowles deserves to have the spotlight focus on her for a day.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Lots of quotes from the Athletic article.

This is my money quote

Reeve: This is gonna suck. Every huddle that we break at the end of practice or after a game, it’s a handshake and a hug. I’ll miss the rebounds and I’ll miss the blocked shots, but that’s the (expletive) I’m going to miss.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sylvia a class act. Wonderful feature and it was so interesting to hear about her ambition to become a mortician.

For me the money in this article was:

Depression is real. As an elite athlete, you deal with so much, you barely have time to decompress. When people think about mental health, they just think of it as a personal problem. But I think we're just now getting to the point where we can understand how outside things can affect you too. You might be having a bad week, a s---ty practice, and then you see stories in the news about shootings and killings, and that can affect you too. It was a big growing period for me. If I had to relive it? Hell yeah I would. Because I learned I'm able to withstand a lot of stuff.

And during this part of her journey in season she consistently showed up. I would guess that perseverance played a large part and her clear ability to cope with depression.

Reaction Score
I would hope Maya would come but she seems to have removed herself from basketball completely.
It's possible she is and it hasn't been made public? She's pretty private as we're all aware.

I haven't read the articles, so I'm not sure if it is stated whether she was going to be in attendance.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There is a WNBA weekly show scheduled before the Storm / Lynx game . I assume wall to wall Syl coverage (with maybe a little birdie feedback)

Reaction Score
Going to be one heck of an emotional game. Hopefully we pack the Target Center for Sylvia's last home game. What a career for Sylvia. I still remember when she came to Minnesota in 2015. The excitement within the fanbase went through the roof! With Maya, Rebekkah Brunson, Seimone Augustus, Lindsay, Renee, Asjha Jones, and a host of other solid players, Sylvia just turned the Lynx into the powerhouse! Sylvia helped the Lynx win titles. Greatly appreciate you, Sylvia!! Much love & respect. That will the sign I will be holding tonight btw at the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya was mentioned by Whalen and was seen in at least one video, but was absent. Instead, Phee spoke to the crowd.

Reaction Score
Maya was mentioned by Whalen and was seen in at least one video, but was absent. Instead, Phee spoke to the crowd.
Great speeches all around. I was more surprised by Seimone's absence than Maya's.

Reaction Score
I guess maybe she still feels hurt by the way the Lynx let her go ?
Also, I guess she still has to be a coach for the Sparks through Sunday. I just thought that since they didn't play last night, nor today, and were out of playoff contention, she could fly or at least make some remarks over video for her former college and pro teammate. But you are probably right regarding the tone of the negotiations a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Also, I guess she still has to be a coach for the Sparks through Sunday. I just thought that since they didn't play last night, nor today, and were out of playoff contention, she could fly or at least make some remarks over video for her former college and pro teammate. But you are probably right regarding the tone of the negotiations a couple of years ago.
If she wanted to go, I see no reason the Sparks would not let her go once the team was out of the Playoffs but perhaps when they were officially eliminated on the 11th, travel arrangements might have been tricky?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom