Switzerland in December... | The Boneyard

Switzerland in December...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Not when I'd like to go to Europe, but it's a free flight paid for by my wife's employer to attend their Christmas party.

I have never been to Europe earlier than April nor later than October. So what's there to do where one won't freeze one's butt off? (We no longer ski).

Reaction Score
Not when I'd like to go to Europe, but it's a free flight paid for by my wife's employer to attend their Christmas party.

I have never been to Europe earlier than April nor later than October. So what's there to do where one won't freeze one's butt off? (We no longer ski).
Was there 2 years ago next week for skiing in Zermatt. We stopped in Interlaken on the way down to Zermatt for 2 nights. From Interlaken, you are in close proximity to Jungfrau. Highly recommend the Jungfrau Railway. There is a viewing summit at the top where on a clear day you'll be able to see most neighboring countries. There are stops on the way down for people who want to get off and ski. There are eating/drinking options that you can walk to from those stops. Again, if you catch a nice day hard to beat hanging out having a few pops and taking in the scenery.

Reaction Score
Was there 2 years ago next week for skiing in Zermatt. We stopped in Interlaken on the way down to Zermatt for 2 nights. From Interlaken, you are in close proximity to Jungfrau. Highly recommend the Jungfrau Railway. There is a viewing summit at the top where on a clear day you'll be able to see most neighboring countries. There are stops on the way down for people who want to get off and ski. There are eating/drinking options that you can walk to from those stops. Again, if you catch a nice day hard to beat hanging out having a few pops and taking in the scenery.
Same (at least skiing in Zermatt (more than a few years ago))...we tacked on a few days in Geneva after the skiing. Very nice walking-friendly city with lots of history and old world European charm.

Reaction Score
I lived in Germany for two years. Switzerland is amazing. In December you want to be going to Christmas Markets and drink lots of Bluewein.

You can also very easily take a train to Paris or something. I used to hop on a train in the morning in the little berg I lived in and go to Paris with only one train change. I could easily go shopping or do whatever and be back home sometime after dinner.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I lived in Germany for two years. Switzerland is amazing. In December you want to be going to Christmas Markets and drink lots of Bluewein.

You can also very easily take a train to Paris or something. I used to hop on a train in the morning in the little berg I lived in and go to Paris with only one train change. I could easily go shopping or do whatever and be back home sometime after dinner.
Was in Paris just before Covid, so no interest. The HQ is in Merton, which appears nearest to Bern of all the major Swiss cities. For me, Switzerland was way down the list of places I've yet to visit in Europe, and while I might be surprised and enjoy it, I'd like to knock off something on the bucket list, like maybe Vienna, although that seems to be 12-14 hours on Eurail. There's also a small town in NW Croatia that's of particular interest to my wife, who can trace her entire lineage across four family surnames back to 1600 to this tiny village.

Reaction Score
Was in Paris just before Covid, so no interest. The HQ is in Merton, which appears nearest to Bern of all the major Swiss cities. For me, Switzerland was way down the list of places I've yet to visit in Europe, and while I might be surprised and enjoy it, I'd like to knock off something on the bucket list, like maybe Vienna, although that seems to be 12-14 hours on Eurail. There's also a small town in NW Croatia that's of particular interest to my wife, who can trace her entire lineage across four family surnames back to 1600 to this tiny village.
You can always buy a Lonely Planet or call your travel agent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom