SW Rise of Skywalker | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SW Rise of Skywalker

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Agree on the combat part with the Disney excuse being that she 'learned' by asorbing trhough the Force other people's skills, such as her first duel with Kylo. She could have been in interesting character if they fleshed out her story more beyond the orphan angel; but they wanted her to have a 'blank slate,' especially in the Last Jedi. They could have had her find-out in that movie that she was the daughter of Paps (or Luke or Obi-wan) and then in a fit or rage after learning how much was taken away from her killed Snoke and then the Rise coudl have been about her paying for those actions and rising above them. I actually think Ben/Kylo had a more interesting arc.

He absolutely did. And they even ruined that.

Killing snoke should’ve been the iconic scene from this trilogy.

Instead it was reduced to being virtually meaningless.

Reaction Score
Star Wars turned into an informercial for toys under Lucas a long time ago. You can imagine where Disney is taking it.

The production values are A+++. Story, character, etc are just blah.

Reaction Score
He absolutely did. And they even ruined that.

Killing snoke should’ve been the iconic scene from this trilogy.

Instead it was reduced to being virtually meaningless.

No to mention yet another planet killing weapon or in Skywalker's case, thousands of more planet killing weapons. How about just a really vicious, statically brilliant enemy, you know, someone like Thrawn. Or better yet, Timothy Zahn and/or David Filoni write the script. Both 'get' Star Wars. Zahn basically saved the entire Star Wars Universe in 1991 from the abyss. While there were some questionable books in 20 something years of expanded universe Star Wars novels, the Thrawn Trilogy (1991 - 1993) followed by the and the Hand of Thrawn Duology (1997-1998) should have been kept cannon by Disney after the buy-out as it provided a great foundation where to build from and some really great characters such as Mara Jade. Losing her is a mistake that I can't forgive Disney for and a reason I think that she was not brought back in, unlike Thrawn himself, is that Disney was afraid that her character could have overshadowed Rey's character.

While a good story, Dark Empire was too much of a stretch for me, though Tom Veitch's work clearly influenced Rise of Skywalker.

the Q

Reaction Score
No to mention yet another planet killing weapon or in Skywalker's case, thousands of more planet killing weapons. How about just a really vicious, statically brilliant enemy, you know, someone like Thrawn. Or better yet, Timothy Zahn and/or David Filoni write the script. Both 'get' Star Wars. Zahn basically saved the entire Star Wars Universe in 1991 from the abyss. While there were some questionable books in 20 something years of expanded universe Star Wars novels, the Thrawn Trilogy (1991 - 1993) followed by the and the Hand of Thrawn Duology (1997-1998) should have been kept cannon by Disney after the buy-out as it provided a great foundation where to build from and some really great characters such as Mara Jade. Losing her is a mistake that I can't forgive Disney for and a reason I think that she was not brought back in, unlike Thrawn himself, is that Disney was afraid that her character could have overshadowed Rey's character.

While a good story, Dark Empire was too much of a stretch for me, though Tom Veitch's work clearly influenced Rise of Skywalker.

I don’t get why they didn’t use some of the authors for this. But it probably goes back to Pal’s point. It was never about art. It was about selling junk.

But they miss why luke was so revered. He grew. Learned. Evolved. Hope Luke never would’ve survived the emperor and Vader.

Reys story wouldn’t change no matter which version you dropped into each movie.

Reaction Score
Not sure if its because it's 2020, but there is some crazy talk going around that Disney is going to retcon the new trilogy and try again with Favreau (of Avengers and Mandalorian) in charge with Filoni (Clone Wars and Rebels) helping with writing. Basically, Kennedy gets the boot. If there is even a shred of truth in this, the fighting inside Disney HQ would put the Battle of Coruscant to shame.

the Q

Reaction Score
Not sure if its because it's 2020, but there is some crazy talk going around that Disney is going to retcon the new trilogy and try again with Favreau (of Avengers and Mandalorian) in charge with Filoni (Clone Wars and Rebels) helping with writing. Basically, Kennedy gets the boot. If there is even a shred of truth in this, the fighting inside Disney HQ would put the Battle of Coruscant to shame.

god the sad thing is I’ll watch all of them.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score

Wegotthiscovered is a BS website. Trust a nerd like myself, it’s all fake. You see anything saying they are gonna retcon the sequels, don’t believe it. They are moving onto the High Republic era for the next trilogy, which takes place like thousands of years before order 66.

Reaction Score
Wegotthiscovered is a BS website. Trust a nerd like myself, it’s all fake. You see anything saying they are gonna retcon the sequels, don’t believe it. They are moving onto the High Republic era for the next trilogy, which takes place like thousands of years before order 66.

I agree that it's crazy and very, very unlikely; but, it is 2020. Plus, once can easily view Rise of Skywalker as a massive retcon of the Last Jedi. As a FYI, the High Republic era is aiming for a time period of about 200 years before Phantom.

the Q

Reaction Score
I agree that it's crazy and very, very unlikely; but, it is 2020. Plus, once can easily view Rise of Skywalker as a massive retcon of the Last Jedi. As a FYI, the High Republic era is aiming for a time period of about 200 years before Phantom.

They both stink. The entire new trilogy was wildly underwhelming

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Yeah I was guessing on the time period just knew it was a long time.

Reaction Score
They both stink. The entire new trilogy was wildly underwhelming
Rise of Skywalker was probably the strongest movie of the new trilogy, but as a whole, the trilogy was not great. I would put the prequel trilogy above the new one. To me, the prequel trilogy, even though it wasn’t perfect, still felt like Star Wars. Its hard to explain, but these new movies just didn’t feel like Star Wars. The people at Disney had the opportunity of a lifetime when they announced the new movies, and Im sure it wasn’t easy to agree on a storyline because you could have gone about 100 different ways with it, but what they came up with was weak. I felt they kind of turned their back on the older generation of fans. They should have included more scenes of Han, Luke, Leia, Chewy, and Lando together instead of isolating them throughout the trilogy.

the Q

Reaction Score
Rise of Skywalker was probably the strongest movie of the new trilogy, but as a whole, the trilogy was not great. I would put the prequel trilogy above the new one. To me, the prequel trilogy, even though it wasn’t perfect, still felt like Star Wars. Its hard to explain, but these new movies just didn’t feel like Star Wars. The people at Disney had the opportunity of a lifetime when they announced the new movies, and Im sure it wasn’t easy to agree on a storyline because you could have gone about 100 different ways with it, but what they came up with was weak. I felt they kind of turned their back on the older generation of fans. They should have included more scenes of Han, Luke, Leia, Chewy, and Lando together instead of isolating them throughout the trilogy.

they just never got on the same page.

Ben killing Han and snoke should’ve been some Of the most Iconic moments of the trilogy.

rise of skywalker reduced them to nothing.

both trilogies after the originals were disappointing.

they also isolated the New core 3 so you very rarely saw them On the screen together.

Fin is almost entirely useless.

you don’t care about any of them.

and again, Rey doesn’t go through any trials and tribulations. Everything is so easy for her.

Reaction Score
they just never got on the same page.

Ben killing Han and snoke should’ve been some Of the most Iconic moments of the trilogy.

rise of skywalker reduced them to nothing.

both trilogies after the originals were disappointing.

they also isolated the New core 3 so you very rarely saw them On the screen together.

Fin is almost entirely useless.

you don’t care about any of them.

and again, Rey doesn’t go through any trials and tribulations. Everything is so easy for her.
Exactly, they finally revealed her family history so that made some sense on why she had force powers, but it was just so inconsistent with all the previous movies. I mean Luke was Anakin’s son, and even he had to go through extensive training to have the advanced ability to use the powers of the force. I dont’t think he used the mind control until ROTJ, and Rey was able to master that naturally with zero training. Too many unanswered questions with the entire trilogy, I wish they at least devoted a minute or two providing some history as to why and how Palpatine was still alive, and why all of a sudden he came out of hiding.

It just seemed like the whole trilogy was hodge podge, and you’re right how you said they never got on the same page. It was almost like you had dozens of people just pitching ideas for the films, and they ultimately just picked some of those ideas and threw them all together even though a lot of it never added up, while at the same time trying to play it conservatively from the start by making Force Awakens essentially a rehash of A New Hope.

the Q

Reaction Score
Exactly, they finally revealed her family history so that made some sense on why she had force powers, but it was just so inconsistent with all the previous movies. I mean Luke was Anakin’s son, and even he had to go through extensive training to have the advanced ability to use the powers of the force. I dont’t think he used the mind control until ROTJ, and Rey was able to master that naturally with zero training. Too many unanswered questions with the entire trilogy, I wish they at least devoted a minute or two providing some history as to why and how Palpatine was still alive, and why all of a sudden he came out of hiding.

It just seemed like the whole trilogy was hodge podge, and you’re right how you said they never got on the same page. It was almost like you had dozens of people just pitching ideas for the films, and they ultimately just picked some of those ideas and threw them all together even though a lot of it never added up, while at the same time trying to play it conservatively from the start by making Force Awakens essentially a rehash of A New Hope.

yes Rey should’ve had no chance against Ben (basically a sith lord) who had extensive force and combat training. That was brutal and took a lot out of bens character to lose in the force awakens to a total noob.

And yes no mind control for luke until ROTJ

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Rey is a good character. Kylo Ren is a great character. Everyone else got reduced to nothing for those two.

the Q

Reaction Score
Rey is a good character. Kylo Ren is a great character. Everyone else got reduced to nothing for those two.

Disagree with the first one.

She barely grows, if at all. It was all way too easy.

Ben/kylo was a great character.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
Disagree with the first one.

She barely grows, if at all. It was all way too easy.

Ben/kylo was a great character.
Yeah I know some people don’t like Rey but she worked for me.

the Q

Reaction Score
Yeah I know some people don’t like Rey but she worked for me.

nothing wrong, per se.

but she was basically ROTJ Luke in TFA.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
nothing wrong, per se.

but she was basically ROTJ Luke in TFA.
In retrospect, she had Palpatine’s blood in her. Midochlorian count out the wazoo. At the time, they clearly established that she had skills with her staff and technology from all her years on Jakku as a scavenger. Yeah, I’ll give it to you that she probably shouldn’t have just beaten Kylo first try. But this is Star Wars, it was never complex, the force was just in her corner at that moment. Just like the force was in Luke’s corner when he blew up the Death Star. History repeating itself really.

the Q

Reaction Score
In retrospect, she had Palpatine’s blood in her. Midochlorian count out the wazoo. At the time, they clearly established that she had skills with her staff and technology from all her years on Jakku as a scavenger. Yeah, I’ll give it to you that she probably shouldn’t have just beaten Kylo first try. But this is Star Wars, it was never complex, the force was just in her corner at that moment. Just like the force was in Luke’s corner when he blew up the Death Star. History repeating itself really.

And luke has Vader’s blood directly through him. Not diluted from a generation that was skipped by the force.

The odds are luke would’ve been immensely more naturally talented.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
And luke has Vader’s blood directly through him. Not diluted from a generation that was skipped by the force.

The odds are luke would’ve been immensely more naturally talented.
Yeah but at this point it’s just semantics

Reaction Score
In an interview, George Lucas disclosed that Luke Skywalker was the most powerful Jedi "ever' and was 2x more powerful than Yoda and Palpatine. Anakin had the same potential; but, was cut down a few pegs by Obi-wan.

That's going to really add fuel to the 'I hate the Last Jedi' fire.

StepbackCity

I like winning
Reaction Score
In an interview, George Lucas disclosed that Luke Skywalker was the most powerful Jedi "ever' and was 2x more powerful than Yoda and Palpatine. Anakin had the same potential; but, was cut down a few pegs by Obi-wan.

That's going to really add fuel to the 'I hate the Last Jedi' fire.

Lucas liked TLJ

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom