Support the Team they will get healthy again | The Boneyard

Support the Team they will get healthy again

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is almost to unbelievable to comprehend. I read a bunch of threads and posts and we dont know what we dont know. First when does Dorka come back and when will she be up to speed????????? Azzi it is said to be out 3-6 weeks could it be shorter or longer and how long for her to get back up to speed?????????? Is Dorka and Caroline ready to go and are they up to speed????????

Right now we have healthy 6 players that we will depend on:

Edwards
Nika
Aubrey
Lou
Ayanna
Ines
Amari

Question marks are Dorka and Caroline.

These injuries are giving everybody else a chance t to get playtime and more minutes. Their development will only help us later this season. Most likely we will loose some games and we dont know which games because everybody is gunning for UConn. We showed what was in us last year when we overcame injuries. Nothing was easy. We had to fight and claw each game especially when we were not having a good game. We are gonna be going through alot of growing pains. It may not be pretty all the time but remember all these girls are getting experience without anyone to defer too. Its gonna be up to each and everyone of them to do whatever it takes to win a game. They will gain alot of experience and gain alot of confidence going through the next 3-8 weeks until we get Dorka and Azzi back and hopefully a healthy Caroline.

Right now we have to get healthy first and we as fans need to support our girls and coachs because now they really need it. Its gonna be tuff and its gonna be worth it when we get healthy again

God Bless our UConn Womens Team

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is almost to unbelievable to comprehend. I read a bunch of threads and posts and we dont know what we dont know. First when does Dorka come back and when will she be up to speed????????? Azzi it is said to be out 3-6 weeks could it be shorter or longer and how long for her to get back up to speed?????????? Is Dorka and Caroline ready to go and are they up to speed????????

Edwards
Nika
Aubrey
Lou
Ayanna
Ines

These injuries are giving everybody else a chance t to get playtime and more minutes. Their development will only help us later this season. Most likely we will loose some games and we dont know which games because everybody is gunning for UConn. We showed what was in us last year when we overcame injuries. Nothing was easy. We had to fight and claw each game especially when we were not having a good game. We are gonna be going through alot of growing pains. It may not be pretty all the time but remember all these girls are getting experience without anyone to defer too. Its gonna be up to each and everyone of them to do whatever it takes to win a game. They will gain alot of experience and gain alot of confidence going through the next 3-8 weeks until we get Dorka and Azzi back and hopefully a healthy Caroline.

Right now we have to get healthy first and we as fans need to support our girls and coachs because now they really need it. Its gonna be tuff and its gonna be worth it when we get healthy again

Is it a bad sign that Amari was not included in the list of healthy players we can count on?

Reaction Score

Edwards
Nika
Aubrey
Lou
Ayanna
Ines
Amari

Reaction Score
And I will predict right now that Edwards and Muhl will not hold up to 40 minutes per game. So if Ines and DeBerry are not called upon, coach has to answer for it.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It might be difficult for post player Dorka to be effective, recovering from a thumb injury. It affects both shooting and rebounding.

Many fans come just to watch Azzi play. We'll see how her being out affects home attendance.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Edwards
Nika
Aubrey
Lou
Ayanna
Ines
Amari

As usual great post Tony!! Any REAL UConn WBB fan does not need to be "prodded" or nudged to step up and rally around our team. Of course they need our support now more than ever. The "REAL" UConn fans will show up and show out without fatigue or complaint. Without blame or ridicule. We expect the players to do their part, we MUST to do ours. Anyone that hesitates, should turn in their lifetime UConn WBB fan club card now, and find another team to follow. "Ride or die!! That's our mantra. Through Heaven or hell, we're behind our girls 1000%. :mad: So. shove all of those chips to the middle of the table (Jim Fassel) Be "ALL IN."

Since the season began, we've talked about how each of the ranked teams they played would be a good "test" for them, and they were. Well, being down to 8 players (I'm counting Caroline) is another test. A test we couldn't imagine getting this summer, but one we have whether we like it or not. The basketball gods just dumped a truck full of lemons on our doorstep. You know what we have to do with them. That's right.....lemon aid anyone? Do the only thing we can do, play through it until the injured players return. No whining, no excuses. That's why each of these girls chose to play here, and why each one of our coaches chose to coach here.

Adversity either builds character or reveals it. Now we're really going to find out each player's mettle, character, resilience and resolve. They know what they have to do. Geno and their position coaches have told them. They know what to expect. Who knows, we may be pleasantly surprised these next few weeks.

Even though we're down to 8 players, I'm still going to enjoy watching them play. We knew what this team would have done with everyone healthy. Let's see what they can do shorthanded. That which does not kill you only makes you stronger. This team will survive this, and be better for it come March when it rally counts.

Dorka, Azzi and Caroline should ALL be back and 100% come March ready for that final run, with a bench that has plenty of experience this season. Things happen for a reason. After this, there's nothing we'll face in March that can shake us, or make us question our abilities to achieve our goals. It can't get much worse than this.

Remember that old adage................When things get tough, the tough get going. Let's go!!

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Lou says listen to Tony C

Womens Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA Championships

Reaction Score
Geno simply has to work Deberry into the line up whether he believes in her or not, if for no other reason than to give the other players some rest............I believe she has the ability to contribute to this team, especially against weaker opponents........come on Geno give the kid 15-20 minutes!! Play her on the low post and use that 6'5" height to dominate against a smaller team......I believe she could score in double figures and grab a fair number of rebounds if given the chance.......:confused:

Reaction Score
Is it a bad sign that Amari was not included in the list of healthy players we can count on?
Or that the list of 6 healthy players was actually 7 players long?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geno simply has to work Deberry into the line up whether he believes in her or not, if for no other reason than to give the other players some rest............I believe she has the ability to contribute to this team, especially against weaker opponents........come on Geno give the kid 15-20 minutes!! Play her on the low post and use that 6'5" height to dominate against a smaller team......I believe she could score in double figures and grab a fair number of rebounds if given the chance.......:confused:
..............if for no other reason!! I don't advocate for Amari to play anymore. She'll play when she plays. There's a reason she does not play more than she does. I'll leave that to Geno. He knows what he's doing. I'm still a BIG fan of hers, and still have season seats on the front row of her cheering section. I'll renew those seats the next 2 years as well. :cool:

Reaction Score
If I were Geno I'd put out an immediate call for walk-on tryouts to put two more players on the bench. Maybe they play, maybe they don't..................but they will be available, if only for a couple of minutes to give others a brief rest. Sadly, previous women's walk-on tryouts have resulted in no candidates. I don't understand why.

Please feel free to criticize me, but back in my day (56 years ago) when I was sixth man on the Penn frosh team, I would have given anything to have been on the varsity my following (sophomore) year as a walk-on. To get a couple of minutes PT in The Palestra against Philly's Big Five and the Ivies, would have been worth all the days of getting knocked about by our starters in practice.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It might be difficult for post player Dorka to be effective, recovering from a thumb injury. It affects both shooting and rebounding.
On the other hand, the legs are the first thing to go and the last to come back if a post player gets another sort of injury. Dorka hasn’t missed a beat keeping her legs in shape. I’m hopeful that she can keep the opponents’ players off the block.

Reaction Score
Does each player have their own cheering section? I live in Ohio and never been to a UCONN home game. But have been following them since Bird played for them. Someday i will go to a home game. GO UCONN!!!!!

Reaction Score
When I heard the report on 6pm Channel 8 Sports about Azzi's injury time out I was sick to my stomach!
The accident was so freaky!
I can't understand all this!
I'll support all the girls and be there through thick or thin!
But boy it hurts!

Reaction Score
As usual great post Tony!! Any REAL UConn WBB fan does not need to be "prodded" or nudged to step up and rally around our team. Of course they need our support now more than ever. The "REAL" UConn fans will show up and show out without fatigue or complaint. Without blame or ridicule. We expect the players to do their part, we MUST to do ours. Anyone that hesitates, should turn in their lifetime UConn WBB fan club card now, and find another team to follow. "Ride or die!! That's our mantra. Through Heaven or hell, we're behind our girls 1000%. :mad: So. shove all of those chips to the middle of the table (Jim Fassel) Be "ALL IN."

Since the season began, we've talked about how each of the ranked teams they played would be a good "test" for them, and they were. Well, being down to 8 players (I'm counting Caroline) is another test. A test we couldn't imagine getting this summer, but one we have whether we like it or not. The basketball gods just dumped a truck full of lemons on our doorstep. You know what we have to do with them. That's right.....lemon aid anyone? Do the only thing we can do, play through it until the injured players return. No whining, no excuses. That's why each of these girls chose to play here, and why each one of our coaches chose to coach here.

Adversity either builds character or reveals it. Now we're really going to find out each player's mettle, character, resilience and resolve. They know what they have to do. Geno and their position coaches have told them. They know what to expect. Who knows, we may be pleasantly surprised these next few weeks.

Even though we're down to 8 players, I'm still going to enjoy watching them play. We knew what this team would have done with everyone healthy. Let's see what they can do shorthanded. That which does not kill you only makes you stronger. This team will survive this, and be better for it come March when it rally counts.

Dorka, Azzi and Caroline should ALL be back and 100% come March ready for that final run, with a bench that has plenty of experience this season. Things happen for a reason. After this, there's nothing we'll face in March that can shake us, or make us question our abilities to achieve our goals. It can't get much worse than this.

Remember that old adage................When things get tough, the tough get going. Let's go!!
Carnac, I think UConn will suck it up and play with determination. But, that which does not kill you usually hurts like all hell. Lou will not shy away from being the "go to" scorer. She's had a ton of experience at Fairfield being that kid.

Reaction Score
One thing I am pretty sure of, the team will continue to play hard as they have every minute of every game they have played. As they did last year and pretty much every Uconn game I have ever watched through the years. THAT is all any player controls, that they practice and play hard.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac, I think UConn will suck it up and play with determination. But, that which does not kill you usually hurts like all hell. Lou will not shy away from being the "go to" scorer. She's had a ton of experience at Fairfield being that kid.
Yes, it does hurt, but that’s were the growth is. No pain, no gain. I’m not concerned about Lou. Lou is cool under pressure. This is where Geno tells his team to “find a way.”

When adversity strikes, coaches give their team a pep talk because it’s bad and can’t get much worse. So you have to give your players something to hold on to. A common goal. UConn has the talent to survive this, but they must figure it out. I don’t see or detect any quit in this team.

No one is going to feel sorry for them. Geno has been down to 6 rotation players before. That team made it to the final four. One game at a time. Princeton is the next stepping stone on their path to the final four. Survive and advance.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
This team has dealt with adversity for a couple of years now. They know what has to be done.

Geno will have them prepared for Princeton. How he will sub is anybody's guess. Right now I see Nika, Lou, Caroline, Aubrey and Aaliyah as the iron 5. Ayanna is going to get more minutes and I think she will deliver. I'll go out on a limb and say Ines is going to get more than mop up minutes. As to Amari, not sure she gets more minutes unless there is major foul trouble for the front line. I would love for Dorka to be available but I don't think that's a possibility. On this one I hope I'm wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom