Support the Team they will get healthy again | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Support the Team they will get healthy again

Reaction Score
And I will predict right now that Edwards and Muhl will not hold up to 40 minutes per game. So if Ines and DeBerry are not called upon, coach has to answer for it.
Longtime Fan: If your title is accurate, you know this: These are Geno's kids. He lends them to us once or twice a week during the season, but they ARE HIS KIDS.
Could you possible believe he deliberately let them be injured or damaged?
Basketball, and he has spoken of this, is a 12 month a year game and 12 years of game before he get them. Caroline, AZZI others came to him still suffering HS/AAU injuries.
Yes, long hard DIV one seasons take their toll. Sometimes to win games, and that is why they play, has unexpected injuries. He has a STAFF of trainers to help make READY OR NOT decision.
I blame Geno for Daylight saving not all year around or for not getting 4 really big---Bigs. But not for injuries.
Yea, I complained too about too many minutes, cuz--I complain.

Reaction Score
This team has dealt with adversity for a couple of years now. They know what has to be done.

Geno will have them prepared for Princeton. How he will sub is anybody's guess. Right now I see Nika, Lou, Caroline, Aubrey and Aaliyah as the iron 5. Ayanna is going to get more minutes and I think she will deliver. I'll go out on a limb and say Ines is going to get more than mop up minutes. As to Amari, not sure she gets more minutes unless there is major foul trouble for the front line. I would love for Dorka to be available but I don't think that's a possibility. On this one I hope I'm wrong.
UConn WCBB has lived with injuries for 30 years, My first Uconn injuries were Shea and Sveta at the wrong time---is there ever a right time.
I want a 6 ft 5 or 6 or 7, 240 pound immoveable object, I want 3 but settle for 2, ready to play next season. One good guard, like Nika, and one like Azzi---2 others to just take up space. Then I'll be happy, but only after winning games.

Reaction Score
It is what it is and that is the hand that was dealt to the Team. There is a lot of talent no matter what and no matter the score on the score board, they are still UConn.
Spoken like a D.I.. Geno a while back, spoke of NOT playing the score, but playing the game. A Marine would understand that. My favorite, truthful, phrase: It is what it is. Some you may change, some you cannot. That too Marines know.

Reaction Score
As usual great post Tony!! Any REAL UConn WBB fan does not need to be "prodded" or nudged to step up and rally around our team. Of course they need our support now more than ever. The "REAL" UConn fans will show up and show out without fatigue or complaint. Without blame or ridicule. We expect the players to do their part, we MUST to do ours. Anyone that hesitates, should turn in their lifetime UConn WBB fan club card now, and find another team to follow. "Ride or die!! That's our mantra. Through Heaven or hell, we're behind our girls 1000%. :mad: So. shove all of those chips to the middle of the table (Jim Fassel) Be "ALL IN."

Since the season began, we've talked about how each of the ranked teams they played would be a good "test" for them, and they were. Well, being down to 8 players (I'm counting Caroline) is another test. A test we couldn't imagine getting this summer, but one we have whether we like it or not. The basketball gods just dumped a truck full of lemons on our doorstep. You know what we have to do with them. That's right.....lemon aid anyone? Do the only thing we can do, play through it until the injured players return. No whining, no excuses. That's why each of these girls chose to play here, and why each one of our coaches chose to coach here.

Adversity either builds character or reveals it. Now we're really going to find out each player's mettle, character, resilience and resolve. They know what they have to do. Geno and their position coaches have told them. They know what to expect. Who knows, we may be pleasantly surprised these next few weeks.

Even though we're down to 8 players, I'm still going to enjoy watching them play. We knew what this team would have done with everyone healthy. Let's see what they can do shorthanded. That which does not kill you only makes you stronger. This team will survive this, and be better for it come March when it rally counts.

Dorka, Azzi and Caroline should ALL be back and 100% come March ready for that final run, with a bench that has plenty of experience this season. Things happen for a reason. After this, there's nothing we'll face in March that can shake us, or make us question our abilities to achieve our goals. It can't get much worse than this.

Remember that old adage................When things get tough, the tough get going. Let's go!!
Reality says: March is meaningful if your record to then puts you in a position to win it all.

I've never needed big wins or win win win, I've followed both men and women, and sat in the field house or Gumpel on cold winter nights cheering, not for the win, but for the kids. Hoping for a win. Because of the WAY they play the game. Seats filled is a visible way of showing support.

More than a few on the BY, but getting fewer, have done the same.

Reaction Score
..............if for no other reason!! I don't advocate for Amari to play anymore. She'll play when she plays. There's a reason she does not play more than she does. I'll leave that to Geno. He knows what he's doing. I'm still a BIG fan of hers, and still have season seats on the front row of her cheering section. I'll renew those seats the next 2 years as well. :cool:
they can't go through the next 4-6 weeks with their remaining players without help from the bench otherwise there's a good chance you'll see additional injuries as the starters play max minutes.......if you remember Ducharme is already day to day and Dorka certainly isn't ready to play an entire game........Griffin is playing her first season back from serious back surgery and as I remember Muhl had nagging injuries last season playing less minutes then she is now.......I don't care of Deberry was last in the sprints in practice.........her team needs her on the court........

Reaction Score
they can't go through the next 4-6 weeks with their remaining players without help from the bench otherwise there's a good chance you'll see additional injuries as the starters play max minutes.......if you remember Ducharme is already day to day and Dorka certainly isn't ready to play an entire game........Griffin is playing her first season back from serious back surgery and as I remember Muhl had nagging injuries last season playing less minutes then she is now.......I don't care of Deberry was last in the sprints in practice.........her team needs her on the court........
I don’t think Auriemma cares if you come in last either, IF you run as hard as you can. I am not saying DeBerry does or doesn’t because I certainly don’t know but there is some reason she plays the minutes she plays. I certainly respect the views of fans saying she should play more but Auriemma has been adamant through the years about his criteria to get meaningful game time minutes.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We saw Deberry shooting from the outside and we've heard from the male practice players she has a good outside shot . Many fans are talking about Amari playing down low. Gotta wonder. Right now we need shooters and Amari appears to be one but shes not playing. We need everybody not named Lou to shoot. This will improve the team if Nika and everybody else became more of a threat to shoot the ball.

Reaction Score
We saw Deberry shooting from the outside and we've heard from the male practice players she has a good outside shot . Many fans are talking about Amari playing down low. Gotta wonder. Right now we need shooters and Amari appears to be one but shes not playing. We need everybody not named Lou to shoot. This will improve the team if Nika and everybody else became more of a threat to shoot the ball.
she has also shown a few nice moves down low..........if she's in for Edwards put her down low and try a clear out or two...........certainly worth a shot to take advantage of her height against smaller front courts........if effective they will have to collapse on her leaving the outside shooters free......

Reaction Score
Longtime Fan: If your title is accurate, you know this: These are Geno's kids. He lends them to us once or twice a week during the season, but they ARE HIS KIDS.
Could you possible believe he deliberately let them be injured or damaged?
Basketball, and he has spoken of this, is a 12 month a year game and 12 years of game before he get them. Caroline, AZZI others came to him still suffering HS/AAU injuries.
Yes, long hard DIV one seasons take their toll. Sometimes to win games, and that is why they play, has unexpected injuries. He has a STAFF of trainers to help make READY OR NOT decision.
I blame Geno for Daylight saving not all year around or for not getting 4 really big---Bigs. But not for injuries.
Yea, I complained too about too many minutes, cuz--I complain.
Agree with all your points and add a scheduling question: Why schedule ND on a Sunday after a Friday night game, and then have them fly out to South Bend? Could the team have really been at their best and not somewhat fatigued?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
It might be difficult for post player Dorka to be effective, recovering from a thumb injury. It affects both shooting and rebounding.

Many fans come just to watch Azzi play. We'll see how her being out affects home attendance.
Sadly bodies in the seats has not been good

Reaction Score
I seriously doubt that.
Agree. 1 on 5 is tough. Not exactly a Husky tradition to focus on one player. Lots of help from screens and rebounds to make it all possible for Azzi to star. That being said I'm anxious to get her back.

Reaction Score
As usual great post Tony!! Any REAL UConn WBB fan does not need to be "prodded" or nudged to step up and rally around our team. Of course they need our support now more than ever. The "REAL" UConn fans will show up and show out without fatigue or complaint. Without blame or ridicule. We expect the players to do their part, we MUST to do ours. Anyone that hesitates, should turn in their lifetime UConn WBB fan club card now, and find another team to follow. "Ride or die!! That's our mantra. Through Heaven or hell, we're behind our girls 1000%. :mad: So. shove all of those chips to the middle of the table (Jim Fassel) Be "ALL IN."

Since the season began, we've talked about how each of the ranked teams they played would be a good "test" for them, and they were. Well, being down to 8 players (I'm counting Caroline) is another test. A test we couldn't imagine getting this summer, but one we have whether we like it or not. The basketball gods just dumped a truck full of lemons on our doorstep. You know what we have to do with them. That's right.....lemon aid anyone? Do the only thing we can do, play through it until the injured players return. No whining, no excuses. That's why each of these girls chose to play here, and why each one of our coaches chose to coach here.

Adversity either builds character or reveals it. Now we're really going to find out each player's mettle, character, resilience and resolve. They know what they have to do. Geno and their position coaches have told them. They know what to expect. Who knows, we may be pleasantly surprised these next few weeks.

Even though we're down to 8 players, I'm still going to enjoy watching them play. We knew what this team would have done with everyone healthy. Let's see what they can do shorthanded. That which does not kill you only makes you stronger. This team will survive this, and be better for it come March when it rally counts.

Dorka, Azzi and Caroline should ALL be back and 100% come March ready for that final run, with a bench that has plenty of experience this season. Things happen for a reason. After this, there's nothing we'll face in March that can shake us, or make us question our abilities to achieve our goals. It can't get much worse than this.

Remember that old adage................When things get tough, the tough get going. Let's go!!
Great post, Carnac but I think we've already found out what kind of "mettle" these players have. All we need to do is remember last year when they passed the adversity test with flying colors. I'm expecting them to answer the call this year as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Great post, Carnac but I think we've already found out what kind of "mettle" these players have. All we need to do is remember last year when they passed the adversity test with flying colors. I'm expecting them to answer the call this year as well.
True, but a refresher never hurts. :D

sun

Reaction Score

UConn's Caroline Ducharme says she's always been under the radar | Full Interview

Oct 19, 2022 FOX61's Jonah Karp sat down with UConn guard Caroline Ducharme and talked about how the team is meshing so far and how their handling being labeled underdogs.
The video's duration is 2:20.

Reaction Score
If Caroline can come back strong it would solve a lot of problems. It would be great to see her get 30 minutes and see what she can do. Few thought she could play last year until she actually got a chance to play more than 3-4 minutes at a time. From watching her high school championship game it was easy to see that Caroline had the goods. She single handedly destroyed the other team that game. I sense that she still has physical issues which are affecting her performance but we are all hoping she can get back in form soon. Getting thrown into the fire with some job security might help things a lot.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Predictions during the Azzi Fudd, Dorka rehab weeks...

Nika Muhl took 3 shots per game in her first 5 games. She took 5 shots in the Providence game and seven shots in the ND game after Fudd went down. She consistently averaged 1 of 3 in her first 5 games, then shot 2 or 5 in game 6 (Providence) and shot 4-7 against ND. I think Muhl will try to consistently take 8 shots per game. If she does I think she will up her average from 5.4 points per game to about
10 points per game.

Lou Lopez-Senechal is currently shooting 48.9 percent in field goals; 51.2 percent in threes. She averages 12 shots per game and 7 of those are from three. Lou averages 17.4 points per game. Lou will up her average to 18 shots per game with her current shooting percentages that will lift her point average per game to about 23 points per game.

Aaliyah Edwards has been averaging 10 shots per game for 15.7 points per game. All we need for Aaliyah to do is continue to do what she is doing...she is averaging a double / double. If she can continue to give us 15.7 and 10 rebounds per game she is on pace to have an All American season.

Aubrey Griffin does not need to take deep threes...she should settle for the mid-range jumper and slashing to the basket. Aubrey shoots at a 57.4 percent clip from inside the arc. Her three point shooting average is only 27.3 percent. Aubrey has been averaging 8.9 shots per game...for an 11.7 points per game average. If she upped her number of shots per game to 14 and stayed with what she does best, slashing and spot up mid-range jumpers she could up her average to 15 points per game.

Caroline Ducharme is the one player who has a huge upside based on what she was able to do last year when Paige went down. Caroline had a career high against St. Johns (28 points). She had six games where she scored 18 or more points. She finished the season with a 9.8 point average. Currently, Ducharme is averaging 17 minutes per game. She has been averaging 5 shots per game. Caroline needs to up her number of shots per game to 10 and she will be able to take her average from 5.5 to about 11 points per game.

Our bench (Amari, Ayanna and Ines) have been averaging 8.0 points per game with Ayanna giving us 3.1; Amari 3.4 and Ines .6. Our bench will get more minutes now that the IR list has grown. Azzi Fudd's 31.1 minutes must be redistributed. If Ayanna's minutes go from 12.9 to 18; Amari's minutes go from 6.2 to 12 and Ines' minutes goes from 5.5 to 10...that would account for 16 of Fudd's 31 minutes. Caroline will pick up 12 of those minutes which would bring her to 29 minutes. That would leave the final 3 minutes of Fudd's time to be spread out among the other starters. This more than likely see an increase in point production off the bench from 8 points to somewhere around 12 points...this would give the team an average of 85-86 points per game...this would keep the team right in the same ball park that they are in now which is 84.9 points per game.

Reaction Score
This year is full of frustration...I love watching our team go out and do whatever is expected of them, no matter who is missing. We could sit around and do a bunch of "What ifs", but that would serve little purpose.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Carnac, I think UConn will suck it up and play with determination. But, that which does not kill you usually hurts like all hell. Lou will not shy away from being the "go to" scorer. She's had a ton of experience at Fairfield being that kid.
Agreed. A role she's familiar with, and one she'll gladly accept and embrace. ;) Call it what you will, but I have a feeling that UConn will be OK, and come out of the other end of this thing a better and more close-knit team. They won't fold.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the bottom line is that we love our team and our players and have suffered with them through this almost Biblical streak of injuries. Somehow we always find a way and we will do so this season as well. Our players are all great kids and we are very proud to be more than just fans. They are like extended family in a way for many of us since we get to know them so well through interviews, social media, games, etc. Plus they commit themselves to a common, unselfish, difficult goal every year and work extremely hard through pressure, the media, and the history of the program. So yes, we will stick with the team and whatever happens happens.

Reaction Score
Agree with all your points and add a scheduling question: Why schedule ND on a Sunday after a Friday night game, and then have them fly out to South Bend? Could the team have really been at their best and not somewhat fatigued?
I wouldn't schedule Notre Dame at all.

Reaction Score
Have to admit, I could do without all the injuries and setbacks of the last two years. It’s almost like watching a soap opera. I’m sure Geno’s stomach lining could use a break as well.
Having said that, I can’t help but be mesmerized by the ongoing struggle with adversity and the character and courage of this very special group of young women.
Of course, we feel for all those who have had to experience the pain and inability to do what they all seem to love.
From game to game I just can’t wait to see who is going to give that extra bit of effort and commitment that brought them to Storrs in the first place.
Yeah, the latest tragic injury suffered by Azzi, and the loss in South Bend could really get us down and cause us to doubt how well the Huskies will do going forward.
However, I can’t help remembering a dispiriting game at Oregon last season.
Amidst a rash of injuries and illnesses, UCONN had seemed to have turned the corner and had started establishing some momentum. After a rather flat and lackluster performance against the Ducks,I had some serious doubts about the Husky’s chances to accomplish anything noteworthy that season.
Their ability to just keep maturing,striving and advancing through the NCAA tourney was almost magical considering the circumstances.
The fact that they made it to that final game was inspiring in spite of the outcome.
I don’t know if this year’s group will be able to bounce back in similar fashion, but I’ve learned to NEVER give up on UCONN.
Evidently the only thing they don’t teach them in Storrs is how to quit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom