Summary of Boston's moves | The Boneyard

Summary of Boston's moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So pretty dull week in Boston, other than almost 1/3 of the major league roster being shipped out. How did Ben Cherrington do?

Traded away:
Jake Peavy (FA after '14)
Jon Lester (FA after '14)
Johnny Gomes (FA after '14)
John Lackey (500K thru 2015)
Steven Drew (FA after '14)
Doubront (Minimum and Arb years thru '17)
Andrew Miller (FA after '14)
Corey Littrell (single A minor leaguer)

Received
Major league talent
LF/RF Yoenis Cespedes (control thru '15)
LF/1B Allen Craig (thru '17 with club option thru '18)
SP Joe Kelly (thru '18)
IF Kelly Johnson (FA after '14)
Minor League Talent
LHP Edwin Escobar (pre-2014, #56 ranked minor leaguer per Baseball America)
LHP Eduardo Rodriguez (pre-2014, #65 ranked ML per BA)
RHP Heath Hembree

Also received the A's Competitive Balance pick between the 2nd and 3rd round as well as additional 800K to spend in 2015 draft.

One thing I think this shows is that haven't punted on 2015. I'd expect a trade and a FA signing for the pitching statf this offseason. Should be interesting.

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
So pretty dull week in Boston, other than almost 1/3 of the major league roster being shipped out. How did Ben Cherrington do?

Traded away:
Jake Peavy (FA after '14)
Jon Lester (FA after '14)
Johnny Gomes (FA after '14)
John Lackey (500K thru 2015)
Steven Drew (FA after '14)
Doubront (Minimum and Arb years thru '17)
Andrew Miller (FA after '14)
Corey Littrell (single A minor leaguer)

Received
Major league talent
LF/RF Yoenis Cespedes (control thru '15)
LF/1B Allen Craig (thru '17 with club option thru '18)
SP Joe Kelly (thru '18)
IF Kelly Johnson (FA after '14)
Minor League Talent
LHP Edwin Escobar (pre-2014, #56 ranked minor leaguer per Baseball America)
LHP Eduardo Rodriguez (pre-2014, #65 ranked ML per BA)
RHP Heath Hembree

Also received the A's Competitive Balance pick between the 2nd and 3rd round as well as additional 800K to spend in 2015 draft.

One thing I think this shows is that haven't punted on 2015. I'd expect a trade and a FA signing for the pitching staff this off season. Should be interesting.

I have never seen a team trade 4 of their 5 season opening pitchers. I agree that there will be other (off season) moves designed towards 2015 - but blowing up a whole pitching staff so quickly is a tough hurdle to overcome. Who is the #1 right now (Buch? Webster? De La Rosa?) - What about next season's #1 - any top shelf free agents out there expected to be available (besides Lester who is not likely to be back)?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Max Scherzer is going to be a very rich man

Reaction Score
The Sox could use some of their prospects and try to grab Cole Hamels from the Phillies. He looks like a clone of Jon Lester except that he has pitched in the NL. Another option could be James Shields who will be a free agent. Lester and Scherzer will be way too expensive.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I have never seen a team trade 4 of their 5 season opening pitchers. I agree that there will be other (off season) moves designed towards 2015 - but blowing up a whole pitching staff so quickly is a tough hurdle to overcome. Who is the #1 right now (Buch? Webster? De La Rosa?) - What about next season's #1 - any top shelf free agents out there expected to be available (besides Lester who is not likely to be back)?

I forget. In what place were the Sox when they had those 4 pitchers?

Now they will lose games 7-2 instead of 3-1. As a UConn football season ticket holder, I sort of feel sorry for the Sox season ticket holders. They pay top dollar for an inferior product as compared to what they had on Sunday. OTOH, they got to experience Game 6 last year. I was sitting on my couch.

Reaction Score
I forget. In what place were the Sox when they had those 4 pitchers?

Now they will lose games 7-2 instead of 3-1. As a UConn football season ticket holder, I sort of feel sorry for the Sox season ticket holders. They pay top dollar for an inferior product as compared to what they had on Sunday. OTOH, they got to experience Game 6 last year. I was sitting on my couch.
The Sox now have a revised (dramatically) roster and with their new look, they have lost 3 out of four games. I cannot begin to understand what they are doing. They bring up Corey Brown, a 28 year-old outfielder who was hitting .226 at Pawtucket. Corey has some pop in his bat but Washington had no use for him and he is a strike-out machine. Sitting in obscurity on the bench is potential super-star Mookie Betts. I cannot figure out why they would put Betts on the bench when they should be looking at who is going to help the team next year and beyond. Watching Jackie Bradley Jr. and Will Middlebrooks leaves me with the impression that neither on of them is going to be able to hit major league pitching with any consistency. I also think it is time to pull the plug on Buchholtz. I'd send him to Pawtucket and have him pitch every fifth day until he figures it out.

While I'm on my rant, I think the Sox management ought to be looking at John Farrell too. His stoic personality has done nothing to motivate the team to even look interested in what is going on. Have you ever seen him even talking to anyone in dugout other than Juan Nieves the pitching coach? As a manager, John Farrell is a great pitching coach.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The Sox now have a revised (dramatically) roster and with their new look, they have lost 3 out of four games. I cannot begin to understand what they are doing. They bring up Corey Brown, a 28 year-old outfielder who was hitting .226 at Pawtucket. Corey has some pop in his bat but Washington had no use for him and he is a strike-out machine. Sitting in obscurity on the bench is potential super-star Mookie Betts. I cannot figure out why they would put Betts on the bench when they should be looking at who is going to help the team next year and beyond. Watching Jackie Bradley Jr. and Will Middlebrooks leaves me with the impression that neither on of them is going to be able to hit major league pitching with any consistency. I also think it is time to pull the plug on Buchholtz. I'd send him to Pawtucket and have him pitch every fifth day until he figures it out.
While I'm on my rant, I think the Sox management ought to be looking at John Farrell too. His stoic personality has done nothing to motivate the team to even look interested in what is going on. Have you ever seen him even talking to anyone in dugout other than Juan Nieves the pitching coach? As a manager, John Farrell is a great pitching coach.
Farrell is safe. It's no longer his job to win games. The Season is over and the manager has painfully little affect on that to begin with at the major league level. A Mangers' moves affect maybe 10 or 15 games, tops over the course of a season. The players on the field are responsible for not hitting with runners in scoring position or being hurt all year. He hasn't intentionally sabotaged the team like Valentine did. He didn't sign A.J. Peirzinski, and he didn't let Lester or Elsbury go. Farrell's job now is to showcase pieces for a waiver deadline or offseason trade. I'm with you on Betts though. His call up was about 31 days too early.

I have to believe that the Sox will begin the rebuilding process with a top of the rotation starter, another No. 3, and find at least one quality outfield bat. Sitting here, I don't who they are, but considering who the Sox got back in those trades, and how much salary they gave up going forward, they have the resources to locate and sign them. I have to believe that. Otherwise, there is no point in following them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Sox could use some of their prospects and try to grab Cole Hamels from the Phillies. He looks like a clone of Jon Lester except that he has pitched in the NL.

If the Sox made a real offer, they could have signed Lester. Now the plan is to spend prospects to pick-up a cheap imitation? Yeesh.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the Sox will re-sign Lester. The only loss in what they traded away was Lackey, who is both valuable and under control for almost no money next year. Gomes and Drew I'd happily trade for nothing, just to avoid paying them. Same for Doubront and Peavy. Miller and Lester are clearly valuable, but were going to leave as FAs, so you only lost them for 2-3 months.

In exchange they got guys having tough years in Craig and Kelly, who have pretty high upsides and affordable contracts. They get Cespedes for a year as a trial to see how he plays in Boston. They get some decent prospects.

Reaction Score
I can't begin to understand why the Sox are getting ready to activate Kelly Johnson and send Mookie Betts back to Pawtucket. Maybe they want to get a good look and Kelly and see what he can do for them next year.:confused: Cashman must be having a good laugh at this. Kelly was hitting .219 and cost the Yankees a couple of games with his defense.

If it were me running the team my lineup would be Betts, Pedroia, Ortiz, Cespedes, Napoli, Bogaerts, Nava, Vasquez, Holt. Jackie Bradley Jr. would be primarily a defensive replacement/pinch runner. Middlebrooks would replace Holt against left handers. My starters would be Kelly, De La Rosa, Ranaudo, Workman and Webster. The bullpen is fine as it is. Adding veterans who are going nowhere is a waste of roster space.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I can't begin to understand why the Sox are getting ready to activate Kelly Johnson and send Mookie Betts back to Pawtucket. Maybe they want to get a good look and Kelly and see what he can do for them next year.:confused: Cashman must be having a good laugh at this. Kelly was hitting .219 and cost the Yankees a couple of games with his defense.

Straight salary dump. Johnson makes $900k. Drew $10M. Neither of them have a role on the Sox. They probably want to get Mookie playing time in the infield in Pawtucket, I don't think they see him as a long term outfielder.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Straight salary dump. Johnson makes $900k. Drew $10M. Neither of them have a role on the Sox. They probably want to get Mookie playing time in the infield in Pawtucket, I don't think they see him as a long term outfielder.
Correct, but you used the wrong number. The Sox re-signed Drew for the prorated portion of his qualifying offer, which was just under $10M. He is owed about $4.67Mil for the rest of the year. The Sox gave $500k to the Yankees and took on Johnson. The Yankees now owe Drew about $4.2 Mil. The Sox owe John relative peanuts in comparison. The Yankees are the only team interested in Drew and word is that Cashman initiated it. IMO, the Yankees bailed the Sox out.

Reaction Score
Maybe you missed Mookie's catch against the Yankees. He is freakishly athletic and can play almost anywhere. I don't see him the infield for the Sox however. He is originally a second baseman and there is no room for him there. Shortstop belongs to Bogaerts until he shows that he can't play it. Third-base is a little crowded with Cecchini and Middlebrooks and he's too short for first base. I see him in center field with Cespedes and Craig flanking him.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they are going to have Mookie get CF practice in AAA it looks like for the rest of the year and then hand him the keys to CF next year unless Bradley gets back to being the offensive player they thought he would be between now and Spring Training.

At the very least Bradley can have a useful role on the bench as a backup OF with GG type defense and pinch running. You need guys like Bradley on the roster making 500K as you're building your team/payroll.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, Bogaerts is playing a much better defensive SS since the Drew trade. Seems happier, more confident there. Made a very nice diving play up the middle last night and seems much better at the plate as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Yeah, they are going to have Mookie get CF practice in AAA it looks like for the rest of the year and then hand him the keys to CF next year unless Bradley gets back to being the offensive player they thought he would be between now and Spring Training.

At the very least Bradley can have a useful role on the bench as a backup OF with GG type defense and pinch running. You need guys like Bradley on the roster making 500K as you're building your team/payroll.

Agreed. They want him to get consistent at bats, he did jump from AA effectively, as had only been in Pawtucket a few weeks. Kid's awesome. I think Bradley is a nice 4th OF, with great D and decent speed. He needs to at least learn to draw walks and put on good at bats instead of striking out.

I only mentioned IF because OF is now crowded next year with Cespedes, Craig, Victorino, Nava, Bradley, Betts plus Holt as a 3B/OF. I think a lot of offseason moves are coming. If Middlebrooks can hit again, I think they'd consider moving Napoli and moving him to 1B. Holt can play 3B and Cecchini looks ready for the majors.

Reaction Score
I would love to see the Will Middlebrooks of 2012 show up again. But he has now played parts of three seasons and his performance has steadily deteriorated. He is striking out at an alarming rate. He is a below average fielder and has shown no plate discipline (he walks once for every 5 k's. I am not even sure why they brought him back up. He was struggling at Pawtucket (.229 with a ton of K's) but then again a lot of things the Sox have been doing lately make no sense to me.

As for Cecchini he is struggling at Pawtucket too. He is in a terrible slump and is now hitting .236. Plus he committed his 15th error in yesterday's game.

As for Jackie Bradley Jr. he has now played almost the equivalent of one full season for the Sox and is hitting .210. He is striking out at a rate that is higher than Will Middlebrooks. Plus his OBP is only .286 and he has no power. He is however a great outfielder with an above average arm (I think he and Cespedes are one-two in outfield assists) and he has never been caught stealing in nine attempts.

I think for now the Sox should designate Johnson for reassignment, bring Mookie up and plant him in center-field and have him lead off. He is faster than Holt and has more power.

Reaction Score
Maybe you missed Mookie's catch against the Yankees. He is freakishly athletic and can play almost anywhere. I don't see him the infield for the Sox however. He is originally a second baseman and there is no room for him there. Shortstop belongs to Bogaerts until he shows that he can't play it. Third-base is a little crowded with Cecchini and Middlebrooks and he's too short for first base. I see him in center field with Cespedes and Craig flanking him.
The Sox will be playing Holt in CF some and I think they want to get Betts regular at bats in Pawtucket. It is ok to look at the young talent but it will be self defeating if Farrell doesn't settle on a lineup and stick with it for awhile. IMO Middlebrooks pretty much has to play 3B everyday to find out once and for all if he can be successful against RH pitching. 3 games a week won't do it. Middlebrooks is strong , has very good power and that is in short supply. Of course to display power first you have to hit the ball. If he can hit .270 with 20+ HRs it changes everything. None of the kids have his power.
This is no longer about winning games so running young players in and out of the lineup serves no purpose.

Reaction Score
The Sox will be playing Holt in CF some and I think they want to get Betts regular at bats in Pawtucket. It is ok to look at the young talent but it will be self defeating if Farrell doesn't settle on a lineup and stick with it for awhile. IMO Middlebrooks pretty much has to play 3B everyday to find out once and for all if he can be successful against RH pitching. 3 games a week won't do it. Middlebrooks is strong , has very good power and that is in short supply. Of course to display power first you have to hit the ball. If he can hit .270 with 20+ HRs it changes everything. None of the kids have his power.
This is no longer about winning games so running young players in and out of the lineup serves no purpose.
I agree that Farrell should not be running players in and out of the lineup. But I think Betts should be installed in center field and get his regular at-bats there. They already know that he can hit triple A pitching. Jackie Bradley Jr. needs to sit. He is just embarrassing himself at the plate now. He is striking out at an alarming rate. All that is happening now is his confidence is being destroyed. In reality, he should be sent down to Pawtucket and see if he can find his way.
I guess I'd give Will Middlebrooks a little longer but he looks pretty bad at the plate too.

Reaction Score
One thing that has been noticeable, especially this weekend vs the Mariners, is how really bad an OFer Cespedes is. I knew he was suspect and he had trouble off the wall on the Monster (that's somewhat understandable early on though) but his inability to call Holt off of 2 balls deep into LF was awful. Here's Holt diving to make plays and this guy is watching, instead of reading the ball and making the play and calling him off. I've seen him miss fly balls and especially a few hoopers out to the OF with the A's but it's totally inexcusable to not cover short LF considering that's all there is!!

I know this because I still think the Yanks have a chance (i know it's fn ridiculous wish they would stop winning lol) so I watched some of the games. Anyway maybe he'll get better - Lord knows he can at least DH and seems to like not there as a hitter, nothing wrong with that when Papi leaves.

Reaction Score
One thing that has been noticeable, especially this weekend vs the Mariners, is how really bad an OFer Cespedes is. I knew he was suspect and he had trouble off the wall on the Monster (that's somewhat understandable early on though) but his inability to call Holt off of 2 balls deep into LF was awful. Here's Holt diving to make plays and this guy is watching, instead of reading the ball and making the play and calling him off. I've seen him miss fly balls and especially a few hoopers out to the OF with the A's but it's totally inexcusable to not cover short LF considering that's all there is!!

I know this because I still think the Yanks have a chance (i know it's fn ridiculous wish they would stop winning lol) so I watched some of the games. Anyway maybe he'll get better - Lord knows he can at least DH and seems to like not there as a hitter, nothing wrong with that when Papi leaves.
I am still not sold on Cespedes. I love the three-run home runs but his OBP (.279) is terrible. I don't know too much about his fielding but the A's were more than willing to send him packing for a two-month rental. He does have a cannon for an arm however. Maybe he could close?:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom