Suggestions for Boston | The Boneyard

Suggestions for Boston

Reaction Score
Wife and I are coming to Xavier game on 1/26 and decided to stay in Boston a couple days too as we’ve never been. I was hoping some of the more “Boston knowledgeable“ Boneyarders might have some ideas for things to do while we’re in town there. We’re mid 50’s, nerdy and want to do some fun stuff if possible. We’re open to most things I would say, and will want to eat great. We’re staying downtown. any suggestions are appreciated! Also, time for payback on these road losses And it starts with X. And where can I get a blue and white fro I see people wearing at games.

Reaction Score
Couple of threads here:

Reaction Score
Harvard Square would be on my list of to-do’s. Good restaurants, live music, and live theater right in that little area. Club Passim is legendary for live music, but do a search for venues in Harvard Square and you should find something that suits your taste. Of course a tour of the historic Harvard campus, the oldest college in America is available as well.

Faneuil Hall is a great spot to walk around and grab food eats. The Boston Common, Newburyport Street for shopping and Back Bay for historic homes make for a nice walk near downtown. Freedom Trail captures Boston’s Revolutionary War heritage.

The Isabela Stewart Gardner Museum is a great art museum in its own right, but the building it’s in is equally interesting. After visiting, you can go back to your hotel and watch the Netflix documentary, “This Is a Robbery”, which reports on the $500 million art theft which was pulled off there 30 years ago.

You can visit JFK’s childhood home in Brookline.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you can find your way into the North End, go to Monica's Mercato for the largest sandwich you'll eat in your life and Mike's Pastry if you somehow have room for dessert!

I go to Harpoon Brewery every time I'm in Boston. Not sure if they still do brewery tours but a few years ago you could get a tour for $5 that was really fun if you're into beer

Reaction Score
I live in Boston right now.

All the stuff Billy Jack stated above as well as the Museum of Fine Arts which is on Huntington Avenue next to Northeastern University. Museum of Science which is in Cambridge is nice to see as well. If you want to do a little shopping Newbury Street is good and the Prudential Center is on the parallel street called Bolyston Street.

A lot of these places are available via the T (subway) and you might want to consider that as parking sucks in Boston. The Green Line does move slowly, however.

Reaction Score
What kind of food do you like? Do you like beer? 2 of my favorite things to do in Boston are eat and drink (surprise, surprise!). What do you like to do? For example, if you want to shop go to the Back Bay. If you want to eat then go to the North End or South End.

As stated in one of those threads posted above (I think I posted there) I look at Boston as split into neighborhoods. So you should try to experience something in each of the neighborhoods. Seaport, downtown (kind of blah but there are some decent things there), North End (Italian food), Back Bay (shopping), South End (trendy with great restaurants) and Fenway are places to experience. I can give you specific places if you give me some guidance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you've never been to Boston then a Duck Tour might be a good way to see the entire city in a couple hours.

Edit: Looks like they don't operate in the winter.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Harvard Square would be on my list of to-do’s. Good restaurants, live music, and live theater right in that little area. Club Passim is legendary for live music, but do a search for venues in Harvard Square and you should find something that suits your taste. Of course a tour of the historic Harvard campus, the oldest college in America is available as well.

Faneuil Hall is a great spot to walk around and grab food eats. The Boston Common, Newburyport Street for shopping and Back Bay for historic homes make for a nice walk near downtown. Freedom Trail captures Boston’s Revolutionary War heritage.

The Isabela Stewart Gardner Museum is a great art museum in its own right, but the building it’s in is equally interesting. After visiting, you can go back to your hotel and watch the Netflix documentary, “This Is a Robbery”, which reports on the $500 million art theft which was pulled off there 30 years ago.

Be aware, ISG Museum can be a PITA to get a ticket because they limit the number of daily visitors. If you want to go, be sure to get tickets on-line at least a week ahead of time. Boston Fine Arts is a spectacular option, as is the map room of the public library.

The Peabody is also quite good.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
If you're really nerdy I hear there are math problems that need solving at MIT. Just act like you're a janitor.

Reaction Score
As someone who’s only “touristed” at Boston, a walk and an Italian dinner at the North End is a must.

Reaction Score
As someone who’s only “touristed” at Boston, a walk and an Italian dinner at the North End is a must.
OP says they are nerdy, so I might suggest Parla on Hanover in the North End. It has a cocktail menu that you roll a D20 and get a random D&D inspired cocktail. There's a punchcard roll-them-all thing as well, but probably not as relevant for visitors. Small place, reservations suggested (and looks like quite a few times are taken that weekend). MIght try walking in or going for cocktails after dinner elsewhere).

Reaction Score
For me, being from Jersey, I don’t bother with Italian food anywhere outside of NY metro and places I know around NJ. To each their own, and I wouldn’t blame someone for going to Carmelina’s, Benevento’s, Al Dente, or even Giacomo.

In my opinion, the best experience in the North End is putting your name in at Neptune Oyster, going to get a drink elsewhere while you wait for your table, getting a lobster roll and cioppino and some oysters, then going to the cigar bar Stanza Dei Sigari. Going to Charlestown and walking the freedom trail from Bunker Hill and through the north end will whip up an appetite. Parla is a great place for drinks.

Oh also I think the improv asylum is still in the north end and last I went there it was a solid show

Reaction Score
Thanks to all. These suggestions are perfect. now I just gotta do a little internet research on some of these ideas. Thanks again.

Reaction Score

Some great suggestions here. Wanted to note that JFK's childhood home is currently closed to the public for renovations so don't go there :)

Also stroll the shops on Charles Street in the Beacon Hill neighborhood and grab some dinner in the North End.

Where downtown are you staying? Might be able to suggest a few specific spots close to your neighborhood.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks to all. These suggestions are perfect. now I just gotta do a little internet research on some of these ideas. Thanks again.
If the Duck Tour is running in winter, do it. If the weather is mild, consider walking part of the Freedom trail. When I hear nerdy and visiting Boston, I think history. Faneuil Hall itself is cool, the marketplace is just an urban outdoor mall. Fun in summer. Not now. Green Dragon and Union Oyster House are revolution era old. Skip the seaport, it’s modern and like anywhere. Fenway neighborhood is fun, lots of bars and loads of live music. The Science museum is good, the MFA is really good and the Isabella Steward Gardner museum is gorgeous. I think the USS Constitution is worth checking out, it’s on the Freedom trail farther north in Charlestown.

Winter is very different than summer in Boston. Places like Castle Island and the Charles river Esplanade become pointless in winter. It’s still very walkable and the T takes you most anywhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom