OT: - Succession | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Succession

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Did anyone read the Jeremy Strong profile in The New Yorker which came out between the last episodes?

A treat in and of itself.
'Did anyone read the Jeremy Strong profile in The New Yorker which came out between the last episodes?'
'It's apparently for coastal elites.'

'
I just started watching Yellowstone, which is much more popular in flyover country.'
highly insulting. bigly.

Reaction Score
'Did anyone read the Jeremy Strong profile in The New Yorker which came out between the last episodes?'

'
I just started watching Yellowstone, which is much more popular in flyover country.'
highly insulting. bigly.
The retired janitors of Idaho love Yellowstone.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

'
highly insulting. bigly.

Yeah, no. But that's you: always wrong.

Hey, remember when you confidently predicted that our next Mayor would be Curtis Sliwa? That was funny. Bigly.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yeah, no. But that's you: always wrong.

Hey, remember when you confidently predicted that our next Mayor would be Curtis Sliwa? That was funny. Bigly.
time-magazines-person-of-the-year-is-elon-musk-2021-12-13-1-primaryphoto.jpg

curtis is a righteous dude. apparently, nyc has completely given up any interest in voting in local elections anymore. kinda scary.
and oh, i never said 'he will be the mayor.' i said 'he will run for mayor,' loooong before he was even talked aboot, and a year or more the primary, which he won. i remember it well, cuz another poster here almost had a stroke, and accused me of fantasy when i first mentioned his candidacy. how' the hand washing working out?

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
time-magazines-person-of-the-year-is-elon-musk-2021-12-13-1-primaryphoto.jpg

curtis is a righteous dude. apparently, nyc has completely given up any interest in voting in local elections anymore. kinda scary.
and oh, i never said 'he will be the mayor.' i said 'he will run for mayor,' loooong before he was even talked aboot, and a year or more the primary, which he won. i remember it well, cuz another poster here almost had a stroke, and accused me of fantasy when i first mentioned his candidacy. how' the hand washing working out?

You 100% said Sliwa would be mayor. 100%. Not that he'd run, not that he'd win the GOP nomination. That he'd be mayor. Perhaps you don't remember. I think maybe you got so excited by those fireworks that they did some permanent damage. But I do. He lost by 40%.

It was even funnier than your prediction that New Jersey would vote for Trump. That one was only 16% off.

No idea what your last line means.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Ah, I hadn't considered the timing of the convo with Greg. I guess I thought that was before Tom talked to Logan but I guess it's more plausible he recruits Greg once he's already set everything in motion. I'll have to watch it again.

I haven't rewatched that scene (just got into the show back in October) but I remember him saying something along the lines of "I made a deal with the devil" or something like that, which I didn't make the connection at the time about him defecting to Logan, but made more sense after the episode ended.

I also realize I'm responding to a post that's 16 months old so sorry if this isn't relevant!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Two thoughts at the midpoint of the final season:

1) I do not want any of the kids to be successful. Even Greg, who I liked, is annoying me now, and
2) I like that the antagonist Matson, who is self-made, is more dysfunctional than the kids. He is in some ways a younger version of Logan Roy.

Reaction Score
Two thoughts at the midpoint of the final season:

1) I do not want any of the kids to be successful. Even Greg, who I liked, is annoying me now, and
2) I like that the antagonist Matson, who is self-made, is more dysfunctional than the kids. He is in some ways a younger version of Logan Roy.
The dynamic at the end of the episode is interesting. Kendall+Roman "lost" at the end, because they were trying to tank the deal and Matsson is going to buy the company and Shiv was the real power broker making it happen and picked who she wanted to survive the kill list. But they "won" because they got a very high price and are going to be the faces of the deal getting done. So it's setting up an interesting end to the season where Shiv is the influence but the CE-Bros are getting the accolades but not the outcomes they want. There's bound to be tension there.

Reaction Score
really enjoying this final season - the election is very well done. Particularly impressed with Matthew Macfadyen's portrayal of Tom.

Reaction Score
2 possible endings:

1) Kendall stands alone at the end, having alienated everyone that matters to him at the board meeting (similar to his Dad at the end having only Colin in the diner). He's already begun this process. The Richard III ending.

2) Cousin Greg is put forth by Matsson. Matsson likes him and he's family and uses Shiv's logic about the puppet American CEO, but decides Shiv isn't one to be controlled. Mencken will like tall white American and so Matsson/Mencken will emerge the real victors. There are some meta-textual hints to this between his role in the pilot and some theme/score stuff and an iron swapping of Tom/Greg mentor/mentee relationship would be highly amusing.

The Kendall ending is more plausible, thematic, and dramatic, but I do believe the creator's ethos may make the 2nd scenario extremely plausible, as he's expressed a real cynicism of rich people and capitalism and a non-"winning" outcome for all 3 kids makes sense (of course they'd all still be billionaires). But of course, you can argue a Kendall who has eschewed all his principles and beliefs in the quest of power and who has emerged the king of the ashes is not a winner. His kingdom for a Jess. There can also be a hybrid ending where Kendall does alienate everyone.. only to STILL not achieve his goal with Greg as puppet on top. In which case he will truly have nothing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
2 possible endings:

1) Kendall stands alone at the end, having alienated everyone that matters to him at the board meeting (similar to his Dad at the end having only Colin in the diner). He's already begun this process. The Richard III ending.

2) Cousin Greg is put forth by Matsson. Matsson likes him and he's family and uses Shiv's logic about the puppet American CEO, but decides Shiv isn't one to be controlled. Mencken will like tall white American and so Matsson/Mencken will emerge the real victors. There are some meta-textual hints to this between his role in the pilot and some theme/score stuff and an iron swapping of Tom/Greg mentor/mentee relationship would be highly amusing.

The Kendall ending is more plausible, thematic, and dramatic, but I do believe the creator's ethos may make the 2nd scenario extremely plausible, as he's expressed a real cynicism of rich people and capitalism and a non-"winning" outcome for all 3 kids makes sense (of course they'd all still be billionaires). But of course, you can argue a Kendall who has eschewed all his principles and beliefs in the quest of power and who has emerged the king of the ashes is not a winner. His kingdom for a Jess. There can also be a hybrid ending where Kendall does alienate everyone.. only to STILL not achieve his goal with Greg as puppet on top. In which case he will truly have nothing.

I want to sleep on it, but my initial thought is that I didn't love the ending.

I have no problem with Matson getting the company. That makes sense given the show and that Kendall is a screw up. I do have a problem with Shiv and Roman suddenly having cathartic self-discoveries at the Board meeting. All three kids were narcissists with no self-awareness. Frank, Karl or Stewy should have been the ones giving the speech Shiv gave at the end. The kids should have lost the vote, and all three should have been walked out. I feel like the writers copped out and tried to make the ending semi-positive in that Roman and Shiv had some kind of epiphany and decided to walk rather than having it forced on them.

I was sad with the way it ended for Greg, since I liked the character, but it was the right outcome for him. He was always just a step slow.

Reaction Score
I want to sleep on it, but my initial thought is that I didn't love the ending.

I have no problem with Matson getting the company. That makes sense given the show and that Kendall is a screw up. I do have a problem with Shiv and Roman suddenly having cathartic self-discoveries at the Board meeting. All three kids were narcissists with no self-awareness. Frank, Karl or Stewy should have been the ones giving the speech Shiv gave at the end. The kids should have lost the vote, and all three should have been walked out. I feel like the writers copped out and tried to make the ending semi-positive in that Roman and Shiv had some kind of epiphany and decided to walk rather than having it forced on them.

I was sad with the way it ended for Greg, since I liked the character, but it was the right outcome for him. He was always just a step slow.
I had the right logic, wrong tall white male. Roman was always the most self aware and acutely insightful, so his "epiphany" makes a bit of sense. "We're bs." I buy that, especially as he's entering the acceptance stage of his grief for his father.

I'm less sold on Shiv's motivations. Her storyline is complicated. I don't think the show did a good job of explaining why she made the decision. She said she did it because Kendall sucked and would be bad. That does seem a bit weak. But did she really do it for her marriage and to reconcile things with Tom? Did she do it for her baby to keep the father in the picture? Did she do it to stay in the game herself, stay close to power? Did she do it just because she couldn't bear to let Ken win? Is it all of the above? I'm not sure. Shows don't have to give the answers to the test, but a bit more clarity on her character may have been good. I think I needed one more conversation between Shiv and Tom, although the scene in the car with them was pretty perfect.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Greg is the Ollie character from Game of Thones, insufferable from the very beginning.

While all of the Roy clan was insufferable, Greg was the worst with Shiv a close second. She set feminism back 40 years with her Ivanka Trump impersonation. There is no universe where someone like Mattsson or any of them take her seriously. Logan nailed it, none of them were serious people and in that vein the ending makes perfect sense. I'm OK making the leap that Roman after catching a beating deciding that just being a billionaire without any responsibilities. If there is a coda, Tom is out in less than 2 years, divorced and banging models. Shiv is tabloid fodder for mistreating people and Greg moves to LA desperately seeking some sort of development deal pretending he still has money and access to power. Kendall is 50% to end up in jail for murder or commit suicide. These characters were very disturbed and except for Roman will not be able to handle failure without their father to protect them.

Reaction Score
Greg is the Ollie character from Game of Thones, insufferable from the very beginning.

While all of the Roy clan was insufferable, Greg was the worst with Shiv a close second. She set feminism back 40 years with her Ivanka Trump impersonation. There is no universe where someone like Mattsson or any of them take her seriously. Logan nailed it, none of them were serious people and in that vein the ending makes perfect sense. I'm OK making the leap that Roman after catching a beating deciding that just being a billionaire without any responsibilities. If there is a coda, Tom is out in less than 2 years, divorced and banging models. Shiv is tabloid fodder for mistreating people and Greg moves to LA desperately seeking some sort of development deal pretending he still has money and access to power. Kendall is 50% to end up in jail for murder or commit suicide. These characters were very disturbed and except for Roman will not be able to handle failure without their father to protect them.

Shiv was so stupid. Always getting outflanked.

Greg was pure comedy relief. I thought people were nuts thinking he would be CEO. No way the sale would happen. Zero chance.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
"You can't be CEO, because you killed someone"
"Which one?"

One of many LOL moments I had.

I can't say I "enjoyed" every moment of the finale but I think it was a worthy ending to a fantastic show.

Nelson, I don't think that scene was meant to make ANYONE look good. Nor did it. It made them all look, like their dad said, like not serious people.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
"You can't be CEO, because you killed someone"
"Which one?"

One of many LOL moments I had.

I can't say I "enjoyed" every moment of the finale but I think it was a worthy ending to a fantastic show.

Nelson, I don't think that scene was meant to make ANYONE look good. Nor did it. It made them all look, like their dad said, like not serious people.

They all looked like a bunch of incompetent rubes.

And the writers weren’t even subtle about it. “I’m the eldest boy!”

Roman was pretty much defeated and demoralized. His new father figure Mencken betrayed him. Shiv is broken. She couldn’t see around a corner if her life depended on it.

Kendall is an incompetent and undisciplined narcissist.

He’s like a basketball player that can make all the shots but never knows how or why to use them.

The whole scene was shocking and ugly.

Reaction Score
They all looked like a bunch of incompetent rubes.

And the writers weren’t even subtle about it. “I’m the eldest boy!”

Roman was pretty much defeated and demoralized. His new father figure Mencken betrayed him. Shiv is broken. She couldn’t see around a corner if her life depended on it.

Kendall is an incompetent and undisciplined narcissist.

He’s like a basketball player that can make all the shots but never knows how or why to use them.

The whole scene was shocking and ugly.
Logan was right.

Reaction Score
Loved the first couple seasons but this show simply ran out of gas. I still stuck around until the end for the occasional comic relief from Tom and Greg, Conner makes me laugh too but after a while there was nothing interesting about watching a bunch of broken boring people stab each other in the back the same way over and over again. You could see all the plays coming from a mile away and the ending was so obvious...Who cares? The broken idiots no longer have their play toy. Depressed and broken with all the money in the world plus their play toy or depressed and broken with all the money in the world without their play toy, after a while it isn't at all compelling.

It was a good show as a comedy but they lost a lot of that as the show went on and by the last season outside of the bumbling idiot Greg cozying up to everyone and making power moves it largely stopped being funny.
This was the absolute high point of the show, hilarious episode and one of the funniest things I've seen on TV...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Loved the first couple seasons but this show simply ran out of gas. I still stuck around until the end for the occasional comic relief from Tom and Greg, Conner makes me laugh too but after a while there was nothing interesting about watching a bunch of broken boring people stab each other in the back the same way over and over again. You could see all the plays coming from a mile away and the ending was so obvious...Who cares? The broken idiots no longer have their play toy. Depressed and broken with all the money in the world plus their play toy or depressed and broken with all the money in the world without their play toy, after a while it isn't at all compelling.

It was a good show as a comedy but they lost a lot of that as the show went on and by the last season outside of the bumbling idiot Greg cozying up to everyone and making power moves it largely stopped being funny.
This was the absolute high point of the show, hilarious episode and one of the funniest things I've seen on TV...

I have a very different opinion. I thought it stayed great until the end. Armstrong knew when to shut it down; he could have kept stretching it out. It wasn't the best season but it was very good.

Compare and contrast to Ted Lasso. I haven't finished the 3rd season but it was obvious from the get that it had jumped the shark.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom