Stuff you didn’t know you needed | The Boneyard

Stuff you didn’t know you needed

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Since Friday’s game is off, thought I’d see who else has made recent purchases that exceeded expectations or filled an unknown need. In part inspired by my neighbors who used the electric leaf blower I gave them constantly this fall. A used Toro leaf blower that is $75 new. Why the hell didn’t they buy one years ago? Also think this ties in to the Bonfire fire pit discussion.

1. Battery Keeper. Saw the always lovely Lisa Robertson on Local Steals pitching the battery buddy or whatever. Didn’t buy that but the idea was planted, so I bought a soft sided briefcase version on Amazon. Rounded up all our household batteries in drawers, ziplocks, open packaging etc. and stored them all. Including the little disc ones I always lose and rebuy. For $20 it has been great. Asked myself why I didn’t do that years ago.

2. Tiger Tail. This is a hand held massage roller device that competes with The Stick and the usual Chinese knockoffs on Amazon. Suffering from various pains of aging and finding foam rolling difficult and annoying this thing has been great. Really seems to help. It’s made in the USA so worth it to me over the knockoffs. Build quality is excellent. I’m understand the Stick is better for a more gentle usage for runners and is more flexible.

3. Concept 2 Rower. This thing is awesome. Only negative is it takes up space. I’ve used them at the gym, mostly as a warmup, since the early 2000s. Build quality is amazing and the full body workout is just light years beyond what I can get on a treadmill of my old stationary bike (gifted to the same folks who got the leaf blower). I was surprised by just how much it can take out of my legs if I push it (yes the Tiger Tail was partially in response to that). There is a big community of people using these so lots of good information and it’s easy to see just how bad you are compared to others.

Two of the above can be ordered via the Amazon link at the top of the page to help support the Boneyard.

Last edited:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Since Friday’s game is off, thought I’d see who else has made recent purchases that exceeded expectations or filled an unknown need. In part inspired by my neighbors who used the electric leaf blower I gave them constantly this fall. A used Toro leaf blower that is $75 new. Why the hell didn’t they buy one years ago? Also think this ties in to the Bonfire fire pit discussion.

1. Battery Keeper. Saw the always lovely Lisa Robertson on Local Steals pitching the battery buddy or whatever. Didn’t buy that but the idea was planted, so I bought a soft sided briefcase version on Amazon. Rounded up all our household batteries in drawers, ziplocks, open packaging etc. and stored them all. Including the little disc ones I always lose and rebuy. For $20 it has been great. Asked myself why I didn’t do that years ago.

2. Tiger Tail. This is a hand held massage roller device that competes with The Stick and the usual Chinese knockoffs on Amazon. Suffering from various pains of aging and finding foam rolling difficult and annoying this thing has been great. Really seems to help. It’s made in the USA so worth it to me over the knockoffs. Build quality is excellent. I’m understand the Stick is better for a more gentle usage for runners and is more flexible.

3. Concept 2 Rower. This thing is awesome. Only negative is it takes up space. I’ve used them at the gym, mostly as a warmup, since the early 2000s. Build quality is amazing and the full body workout is just light years beyond what I can get on a treadmill of my old stationary bike (gifted to the same folks who got the leaf blower). I was surprised by just how much it can take out of my legs if I push it (yes the Tiger Tail was partially in response to that). There is a big community of people using these so lots of good information and it’s easy to see just how bad you are compared to others.

Two of the above can be ordered via the Amazon link at the top of the page to help support the Boneyard.
I rowed in college, and have had a Concept 2 in the workout room for the last 15 years. Great total body workout, all you have to add is stretching, some core exercises, calf raises, and pushups for your chest.

Add one thing to stuff you didn't know you needed: just added a high quality cast iron skillet. We haven't had one, and I'm not enough of a gourmet chef to care much. But looking at the ability to do full meals for myself including meats (which my family seems to be shunning) I liked the possiblities.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I rowed in college, and have had a Concept 2 in the workout room for the last 15 years. Great total body workout, all you have to add is stretching, some core exercises, calf raises, and pushups for your chest.

Add one thing to stuff you didn't know you needed: just added a high quality cast iron skillet. We haven't had one, and I'm not enough of a gourmet chef to care much. But looking at the ability to do full meals for myself including meats (which my family seems to be shunning) I liked the possiblities.

You say high quality cast iron skillet.

Just get the 12" Lodge cast iron skillet and move on in life. It will last a century (as will any cast iron) if you treat it right.

1610487918538.png

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Those air fryers are amazing. We are finishing up year one on ours and I'm really impressed with it. Just did frozen chicken wings yesterday for first time (Couldn't find fresh wings at two separate grocery stores).

Dumped 'em in the basket frozen. 400 degrees for 20 min. Turned them over halfway through and they were perfectly crisp on the outside. Tossed them in some wing sauce and done.

Whole thing is easy to clean afterwards too.

Reaction Score
Not recent, but a bidet changed my life six years ago. I've convinced almost all of my friends and family to get one in the time since--it helps that bidets have become a bit more mainstream too--and there's been only one unsatisfied convert, who I think suffered from a case of user error (somehow). I have one friend who changed his diet and how/when he eats so he never has to use the bathroom unless he's at home, that's how much he loves it.

One of those claw/grabber/reacher things that are associated with old people. I've you're over 35 or have back problems they're a great tool to have around the house.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Not recent, but a bidet changed my life six years ago. I've convinced almost all of my friends and family to get one in the time since--it helps that bidets have become a bit more mainstream too--and there's been only one unsatisfied convert, who I think suffered from a case of user error (somehow). I have one friend who changed his diet and how/when he eats so he never has to use the bathroom unless he's at home, that's how much he loves it.

One of those claw/grabber/reacher things that are associated with old people. I've you're over 35 or have back problems they're a great tool to have around the house.

I don't think I'd be down for a separate bidet but I went to Japan a few years ago and I was really down with those crazy toilets. Heated seats, white noise to cover up sounds, perfume to freshen the air, and a nice rinse when you're done. We went to a sumo tournament and even the arena restrooms had them!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't think I'd be down for a separate bidet but I went to Japan a few years ago and I was really down with those crazy toilets. Heated seats, white noise to cover up sounds, perfume to freshen the air, and a nice rinse when you're done. We went to a sumo tournament and even the arena restrooms had them!

You can do an add on for $1k.

And yes, those things are a life changing experience.

TOTO S550e Washlet, SW3056, SW3054, SW3054#01, SW3056#01, Classic, Contemporary (bidetking.com)

Reaction Score
I hate leaf blowers, just a bunch of noise-makers. I either rake or shred the leaves while mowing.

Halo Bolt Compact Portable Car Jump Starter - received this as a gift and already used it to jump start the car. It also has usb ports to charge phones on long trips.

I don't have a VariDesk but I made a tall stand by just stacking wood blocks and a couple pieces of wood.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
A Solo Bonfire? What is that?

I bought one but only got to use it once so far, so it didn’t make the list.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score

My wife got me these as a stocking stuffer a few years ago. I laughed in her face and said why would I use this? They have been in my shower ever since and I have purchased replacements.

The Amazon Echo was it for me. I won it 5 or 6 years ago at a work party as the "grand prize" and literally had no idea what it was. I have some form of it all over the house now and use it everyday.

Runner up to the Gorilla Bow resistance band equipment I got on Kickstarter. They have resistance bangs that go up to 100 lbs. I was able to unload almost all my home gym equipment and do the same workouts.

Honorable mention to the sous vide.

Reaction Score
On the docket for next round of XL renovations

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Those air fryers are amazing. We are finishing up year one on ours and I'm really impressed with it. Just did frozen chicken wings yesterday for first time (Couldn't find fresh wings at two separate grocery stores).

Dumped 'em in the basket frozen. 400 degrees for 20 min. Turned them over halfway through and they were perfectly crisp on the outside. Tossed them in some wing sauce and done.

Whole thing is easy to clean afterwards too.
Really? I've avoided them thinking they may be a gimmick. I need another kitchen appliance thing like a hole in the head.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I hate leaf blowers, just a bunch of noise-makers. I either rake or shred the leaves while mowing.

Halo Bolt Compact Portable Car Jump Starter - received this as a gift and already used it to jump start the car. It also has usb ports to charge phones on long trips.

I don't have a VariDesk but I made a tall stand by just stacking wood blocks and a couple pieces of wood.

I am going to the hardware store tomorrow to get some lumber to make an other shelf for my work desk at home. Went through my spare lumber and stuff and garage and shed and didn't have what I needed. I'm thinking some 4"x"4 blocks and a 1"x10" plank is enough to raise computer to slightly above eye level.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I bought a Fully Jarvis sit stand desk in April given the expected WFH duration. Love it. Great purchase.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom