Storm's Gabby Williams happy to return, but rips prioritization rule | The Boneyard

Storm's Gabby Williams happy to return, but rips prioritization rule

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Seattle Storm forward Gabby Williams said that while she managed to rejoin the WNBA midseason this year despite prioritization restrictions, she does not have confidence she'll be able to play both in the WNBA and overseas in future seasons.

Reaction Score
I feel for Gabby. As I understand it, other leagues changed their schedules to mesh better with the WNBA schedule, but Gabby's French league did not. I hope there is a better resolution in the future.
Hope so too

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20230707_151513_Instagram.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good for Gabby...

"I still think the prioritization thing is ridiculous. I'm sorry, I'll say it. Like literally, I'm only here because I got concussed," Williams told reporters Wednesday in her first appearance since returning to the Storm. "Something has to give. France needs to have shorter seasons, or the WNBA needs to [allow players] to make money and do both. And no, this doesn't give me any hope that I can do both."

Still tho, I don't get the league trying to force other countries to alter their seasons. That's being a bully, and frankly, I wish a bunch of top players who played overseas ended up being "banned" this season. Imagine if Stewie, A'ja, Arike, Jewell, etc. were all "banned" for their overseas commitments, where BTW they usually make way more than in the WNBA... Were that to happen, they would change the league rules immediately.

Reaction Score
The rule makes absolute sense to me. Playing in the WNBA is not a Chinese menu. Be there or be square. It's not an exhibition league and it's a short season.
I think we are in the minority on this board but I agree. If you want to play in the WNBA then follow the rule. If you choose not to play in the W then so be it.

Reaction Score
Yeah that WNBA prioritization rule is very silly. I feel for players like Gabby, Ndour-Fall, and Emma Meesseeman. But on the flip side, the WNBA Players Association agreed to this deal.

Reaction Score
Good for Gabby...

"I still think the prioritization thing is ridiculous. I'm sorry, I'll say it. Like literally, I'm only here because I got concussed," Williams told reporters Wednesday in her first appearance since returning to the Storm. "Something has to give. France needs to have shorter seasons, or the WNBA needs to [allow players] to make money and do both. And no, this doesn't give me any hope that I can do both."

Still tho, I don't get the league trying to force other countries to alter their seasons. That's being a bully, and frankly, I wish a bunch of top players who played overseas ended up being "banned" this season. Imagine if Stewie, A'ja, Arike, Jewell, etc. were all "banned" for their overseas commitments, where BTW they usually make way more than in the WNBA... Were that to happen, they would change the league rules immediately.
I have watched a few games and I'm surprised at how boring the WNBA is to watch. If players want to play in France, then play in France. Do you think the NBA or MLB would allow players to prioritize to play in another league? If players listened to Gabby and boycotted all it would do is give the NBA a good reason to shut down a league that has never made money.

I love watching UCONN BB and I think if that brand of BB was on display in the WNBA more people would watch. I really think Caitlin Clark will have an impact like Jordan did for the NBA but they will need a few others to step up too. Paige might be another player who could bring some excitement to the league and pull them up. But who else?

Reaction Score
Yeah that WNBA prioritization rule is very silly. I feel for players like Gabby, Ndour-Fall, and Emma Meesseeman. But on the flip side, the WNBA Players Association agreed to this deal.
Not only this but the salary cap that makes some rosters leaving a 12th player, the travels (that begins to change because of the media and B.Griner), and so on

I don't know what they won in this agreement but they lost their freedom

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom