Christyn has come into her own during the BET | The Boneyard

Christyn has come into her own during the BET

Reaction Score
Christyn has come into her own during the BET. Over the course of three games she was assigned to guard three of the league's top offensive players -- Correa, Siegrist, and Lott. They shot a combined 5/33 for a total of 12 points over that 3 game stretch! Christyn deserves a lot of credit for that outstanding defensive effort ... shades of Kia Nurse! Her other contributions during those games are also notable. She averaged over 36min/gm, scored 56 points on 22/43 shooting, 4/9 from deep, 8/9 from the line, and pulled down 13 rebounds.

Reaction Score
She’s embraced her defensive assignment on the teams best player and that’s now taking her mind off her offense and has allowed her to play freely and confidently. She’s doing great on both ends of the floor and Geno essentially saying we need her to play well to win the championship must give her confidence too.

Reaction Score
Christyn has come into her own during the BET. Over the course of three games she was assigned to guard three of the league's top offensive players -- Correa, Siegrist, and Lott. They shot a combined 5/33 for a total of 12 points over that 3 game stretch! Christyn deserves a lot of credit for that outstanding defensive effort ... shades of Kia Nurse! Her other contributions during those games are also notable. She averaged over 36min/gm, scored 56 points on 22/43 shooting, 4/9 from deep, 8/9 from the line, and pulled down 13 rebounds.
Wow I agree with all of the first four posts here! A total of 12 points on 33 shots is amazing. I have not been thrilled with CW's play at times on the offensive end, but she has grown on the defensive end by leaps and bounds. If you remember her freshmen year she was viewed as a great scorer but defensive liability. Maybe the projection of where her game would be now has fallen a little short of expectations on the offensive end, but few in her freshmen year would have thought the term "stopper" would be used for her by her junior year.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
A few weeks ago some on the BY were calling for her to be benched, or her minutes reduced, But Geno always insisted she would come around. And he caught flak from some on the BY coaching staff. I am so happy that she turned it around and has silenced most of her harshest critics. I am beginning to think Geno knows what he is doing with this team. Nika is another example of the same "coaching" critics, and seems again as if Geno knew her too. Who da thunk it? :confused:

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
My opinion. Any single game in the last 5 games can be the considered as best game she has played in the 3 years at UConn. That they have been back to back! Wow!

Has she figured out that she is on of five on the floor that has the ability to contribute/impact the game on both ends of the floor. Perhaps she's had figured out that doing the things she is good at to the best of her abilities makes everyone on the team better.

It has nothing to do with Christyn figuring it out. But, my wife looked at me and told me that I needed to quit sending negative energy, it's not helping her.

Reaction Score
She is the most effective ambidextrous player in the college game. She is very hard to guard when driving to the basket. If i were her, I would continually drive to the basket on the offensive end. Her confidence is not then dependent on her outside shot - although she should take open outside shots. Not surprised at her defense. She is a great athlete, although again, Christyn is not doing defense alone. UConn's defense is really good. It is the one thing that may be the difference against Stanford.

Reaction Score
If the BE can have Co-Defensive Players of the Year, then they should have voted for Co-MOPs for the Tournament!!!
Paige and Christyn!!!!
A good case could have been made for Christyn to get the MOP for the tournament. Paige is going to get so many awards and honors that Christyn winning the MOP would have been good reinforcement for her going forward.

Reaction Score
Kudos to Chrystin for well deserved play. However, I think that during the last 3 games of the regular season and this tournament, this young team came of age and became a formidable force in women's basketball.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A few weeks ago some on the BY were calling for her to be benched, or her minutes reduced, But Geno always insisted she would come around. And he caught flak from some on the BY coaching staff. I am so happy that she turned it around and has silenced most of her harshest critics. I am beginning to think Geno knows what he is doing with this team. Nika is another example of the same "coaching" critics, and seems again as if Geno knew her too. Who da thunk it? :confused:
I keep looking for the online bios of the BY coaching staff, but my searching skills have not sufficed :)

Reaction Score
Her defense has been great and her shot selection has improved dramatically. Her mechanics on outside shots are still wildly inconsistent. When the mechanics are good, she makes a good percentage. When she reverts to flat, line drive shots without ball rotation, the results are poor. I don't know that I've seen a high level player whose outside shot mechanics are so inconsistent.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
A few weeks ago some on the BY were calling for her to be benched, or her minutes reduced,
Quiet today but they're still out there. Commenting on every CW compliment with a "yeah, but...". Some of us just can't prevent emotional attachment from overriding detached observation. Geno says "if CW plays like that we are champions". I hear he's more of a figurehead coach these days but I'm going to listen to him anyway.

Reaction Score
Big change in her game has been going to her right to the basket, using her right hand to score. She's making it harder for defenders to favor her left hand. It's been fun to see her putting the ball on the floor more, her spin moves, and even some behind the back stuff. It's almost like she's finally figured out what she has to do to be successful at the next level.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Christyn has had an up-and-down career. Overall, she has played well--1st team All-Big East, 3-time conference all-tourney team, etc.--but not necessarily like the #1 recruit in 2018. Now she looks like a true #1 recruit. This was about the same time in her career that Tina Charles blossomed into an All-World player. I hope Christyn's path follows Tina's path!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Christyn Williams has been a very steady conference tournament and NCAA performer.
She has achieved double digits in every NCAA and conference tournament game she has played in.
  • AAC tournament as a Freshman 16, 10, 13 points
  • NCAA tournament as a Freshman 21, 17, 14, 16, 19 points
  • AAC tournament as a Sophomore 12, 15 , 22
  • BE tournament as a Junior 14, 26,16 points
So when Geno talk about CW being a key to winning the NCAA championship that's what he is talking about.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Christyn Williams has been a very steady conference tournament and NCAA performer.
She has achieved double digits in every NCAA and conference tournament game she has played in.
So when Geno talk about CW being a key to winning the NCAA that's what he talking about.

Looks a little like KML's resume. Kaleena scored in double-figures in all 23 NCAA tourney games.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
A good case could have been made for Christyn to get the MOP for the tournament. Paige is going to get so many awards and honors that Christyn winning the MOP would have been good reinforcement for her going forward.
Megan Gauer and Daniel Connolly, both wrote columns stating, among other things, that Christyn should have won the MOP award. They said glowing things about her. I don't know who they are but I'm sure someone in the UConn family knows. I believe they write for UConn WBB Weekly. I agree with them. The same thing happened to Mo Jefferson in the 2014/15 National Tournament.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Looks a little like KML's resume. Kaleena scored in double-figures in all 23 NCAA tourney games.
So when Geno talk about CW being a key to winning the NCAA that's what he talking about.
I did not think the AAC was formed until after UConn left the BE. Are you sure UConn was in the AAC when KML was a freshman and sophomore and then the BE her Junior year?

Reaction Score
She started coming into her own last year around tourney time too... but then, obviously, it was all cancelled.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom