OT: Stock trading | Page 192 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
First off, I want everyone associated with UConn to be successful. I just know that I know nothing and risk management is key right now. Part of this recovery is that there must be destruction of people, businesses and currency and I just don't want to be on the destroyed side. When global hegemony is on the table, I think a lot of rules dissolve and a lot of surprises can be coming.
Possible abridged version: East vs West Taiwan? ????? @huskyinfl

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This is why I never even open my statements. For almost 30 years now.

The only time I've looked is when I had to fill out some CSS forms for potential financial aid for our kids' college, which was a total waste of time.

Except last week I got a statement for a rollover 401k from a job I left almost 25 years ago and I was curious what was in it (more than I expected!). The first page showed my asset breakdown as 100% stocks, and my suggested asset breakdown for my age showing around 30% bonds. Thinking I should probably make some adjustments on that point at some point soon.

But my point is that I am probably the furthest thing from @B1GEast 's day-trading mentality.
Others are bigger experts than I am. The 30% bonds and sliding up for people our age was spot on in the 80s (when I majored in finance) and probably 90's. But the tendencies of the fed on interest rates has made the bond market more volatile than it was. It was also based on people retiring and dying earlier. Now if you shift out of equities too soon you may regret it in later years. I think dividend stocks, even utilities are a better play than bonds. I bought DUK (Duke energy) for my IRA years ago. It's solid as a rock in down times but still goes up over time and averages a 4% yield.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Others are bigger experts than I am. The 30% bonds and sliding up for people our age was spot on in the 80s (when I majored in finance) and probably 90's. But the tendencies of the fed on interest rates has made the bond market more volatile than it was. It was also based on people retiring and dying earlier. Now if you shift out of equities too soon you may regret it in later years. I think dividend stocks, even utilities are a better play than bonds. I bought DUK (Duke energy) for my IRA years ago. It's solid as a rock in down times but still goes up over time and averages a 4% yield.
Seeing as I don't expect to retire--ever--this is probably even better advice for me.

Reaction Score
I am holding a much larger cash position than I typically hold.

Any suggestions on how to hold cash/ a liquid position in these more turbulent times ?

Reaction Score
This is why I never even open my statements. For almost 30 years now.

The only time I've looked is when I had to fill out some CSS forms for potential financial aid for our kids' college, which was a total waste of time.

Except last week I got a statement for a rollover 401k from a job I left almost 25 years ago and I was curious what was in it (more than I expected!). The first page showed my asset breakdown as 100% stocks, and my suggested asset breakdown for my age showing around 30% bonds. Thinking I should probably make some adjustments on that point at some point soon.

But my point is that I am probably the furthest thing from @B1GEast 's day-trading mentality.

Not technically a day trader, but I am active, and cautious. If I see an opportunity I'll take it.

You have the right long-term outlook and you'll be fine. I'm looking to maximize where I can as a small investor in a challenging market where the daily swings and betas are high.

Reaction Score
Seeing as I don't expect to retire--ever--this is probably even better advice for me.
As loathed as ES reasonably is in CT and DUK is in their region (both hoops team & ethically vacuous utility alike), their respective divs don't sukc for reasonably dependable cash flow (AARP decades or not). Hold some of each, plus NEE and VPU.

NEE's a FL utility with more extensive alt wind, solar, battery storage, etc than many (most?) utilities as a kicker. Other growth region utilities (D, SO?). Not so much under-invested TX utilities?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Enjoying this week's continued tech rally. Might be time for a beer soon.

Happy Pumped Up GIF by Universal Pictures Home Entertainment

Reaction Score

There's a difference between holding bonds and bond funds. Holding bonds to maturity and laddering for income purposes isn't a bad play for retirees, particularly now with prices down so there is no premium. Not suggesting that it's the only thing one should do, but it's not crazy to make it part of your strategy.

I don't own any bond funds save for some inflation-linked funds, but I am holding and intend to hold bond issuances from FedEx, IBM, and AB-Inbev.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
There's a difference between holding bonds and bond funds. Holding bonds to maturity and laddering for income purposes isn't a bad play for retirees, particularly now with prices down so there is no premium. Not suggesting that it's the only thing one should do, but it's not crazy to make it part of your strategy.

I don't own any bond funds save for some inflation-linked funds, but I am holding and intend to hold bond issuances from FedEx, IBM, and AB-Inbev.

How do you buy FedX, IBM, etc bonds?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How do you buy FedX, IBM, etc bonds?
Broker should have a large selection of corporate bonds and muni bonds. Both resale and new issue. Fidelity does. Not sure you get that with something like Robinhood.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Broker should have a large selection of corporate bonds and muni bonds. Both resale and new issue. Fidelity does. Not sure you get that with something like Robinhood.

I use Vanguard. Guess I'll have to ask them. Best move I've made in the past two years as far as bonds are concerned is buying I Bonds. $15k/year currently @ 9+%. Not sure about long term, but it's looking like a good move right now.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I use Vanguard. Guess I'll have to ask them. Best move I've made in the past two years as far as bonds are concerned is buying I Bonds. $15k/year currently @ 9+%. Not sure about long term, but it's looking like a good move right now.
Vanguard would certainly have them. Assuming the website looks like others, go to the fixed income section, there should be CDs, new issue bonds, resale bonds. Bonds will be broken into Treasury, Agency, Muni, Corporate by grade/rating. Muni will have some tax benefits. I wouldn't stray out of the A rating. There's a risk/yield tradeoff and that is my line.

Reaction Score
You can't buy I Bonds from Vanguard. Bonds can only be purchased at local banks or directly through the U.S. Treasury savings bond program (TreasuryDirect.gov).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Nice recovery today. Lead by tech again. Feeling less poor. This is good because my kid's college bill just showed up. :eek:

Return Of The Jedi Episode 6 GIF

Reaction Score
I got out of my ZS purchase that I posted here a few months ago. I could not let a 40% gain ride because they are due to report earnings and the sector has been weak this quarter (Fortinet reported headwinds in earnings and got pummeled). So, I'll wait to see what happens after earnings report. I think a few stocks in this sector (PANW or CRWD) might get hurt the way Fortinet did, and I don't want to see this 40% gain erased.

If the earnings are good and the market environment holds I would even buy back higher. Out at 180.

I am keeping my Amazon purchase since this stock still hasn't rebounded appropriately with the market.

Reaction Score
SAVA may be close to FDA approval for their Alzheimers drug. One insider just bought in rather bigly. Stock is up from about $15 one month ago to $29 this morning.

Reaction Score
Buy Raytheon and Lockheed Martin. Defense stocks are recession-proof and these companies also have great prospects with the war in Ukraine and military technology modernization efforts on-going.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't even want to log in to Fidelity. Undoubtedly getting crushed.

Reaction Score
I don't even want to log in to Fidelity. Undoubtedly getting crushed.
Yeah today's one of those days you just don't want to look. Although I make my wife look just so she feels like she shouldn't be spending money. Unfortunately most of the time she still spends anyway but just says she feels a little guilty for doing so. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom